Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 06:18 AM

14 posts, read 58,584 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

I'm living in Germany right now and I'm moving to Pittsburgh in January next year. I have a family with two children. The older one (5 years old) has learned German pretty well up to now, although we speak Spanish as native language. I would be a pity if he looses what he has already learned.

I've been searching and could not find any German school in Pittsburgh. Do you know some German language school or some institution in Pittsburgh where my kid could learn German?

I will appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 10:32 AM

439 posts, read 1,474,553 times
I am sure there are other schools that offer the German Language as a class, but I know that Upper Saint Clair High school offers the following and I think some of these are taught in the middle schools also:

German, Mandarin Chinese, Latin, French, Spanish, Japanese.
Beginning in the 2007-2008 school year, the school plans to offer Arabic.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:18 PM

105 posts, read 366,710 times
Linden school in the Point Breeze neighborhood of Pittsburgh is a German-language magnet school (K-5) which then feeds to the international studies program at Frick Middle School and to an IB program which is currently at Schenley HS but will presumably move to a new high school when Schenley closes in a couple of years.

It's not immersion (or bilingual) but the kids do get German 5X a week. And Linden overall has a pretty good academic reputation.

Anyone living in the city can apply to the magnet program (the deadline is October for the next year so you may be shut out for the 08-09 academic year--but I would write to the school district and explain your situation--moving mid-year etc and ask them for assistance. I would also write directly to the principal at Linden. Principals have a good bit of power in terms of accepting transfers--i.e. you may be able to bypass the lottery if the principal wants your family at the school.) The magnet is a lottery but residents of the Point Breeze neighborhood (i.e. the area of the former feeder pattern when Linden was a neighborhood school) get preference. So you might help your case if you are moving into Point Breeze.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:22 AM

Thank you both, raynist and likepgh.

I will take a look at your recommendations. After that I will write back with comments.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:06 AM

781 posts, read 1,619,346 times
LikePGH is correct, If you live in the Point Breeze breeze neighborhood you may not have to apply. I would call the district to find out. Some Magnet schools, act as neighborhood schools also, and others do not.

However, be careful to move within the neighborhood border. I would contact PPS (Pittsburgh Public Schools) before buying or renting a place in Point Breeze. BTW, Point Breeze South of Penn is a great neighborhood.

Last edited by Sideblinded; 08-11-2008 at 11:38 AM..

Old 08-11-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
However, be careful to move within the neighborhood border.
Why? It is dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
I would contact PPS (Pittsburgh Public Schools) before buying or renting a place in Point Breeze.
Thanks for the hint.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:30 PM

Just to clarify: I think you still have to apply, but if you live in the former feeder pattern (which I think is most of [South] Point Breeze) you have preference in the lottery.

On the PPS website, there is a street directory where you can look up an address and see the feeder pattern. However, I don't think it shows the former feeder patterns so I would certainly call PPS to confirm exactly which addresses have preference for Linden. (But PPS isn't going to give you advice about the safety of a neighborhood, of course.)

Old 08-11-2008, 08:33 PM

And to clarify again: I think Sideblinded is correct about some schools being a mix of neighborhood/magnet where the neighborhood kids do not have to apply (e.g. Sterett Middle School). But I think Linden is all magnet.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:48 PM

4 posts, read 15,911 times
CCAC offers French, Japanese, German, Italian and Spanish. About $120 for 8 weeks of 3 hour classes.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:23 PM

5 posts, read 20,280 times
Send your kid to Linden, i went there when i was a kid it was great. Also, i believe it is one of the best public elementary schools in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: