U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 111,833 times
Default Pittsburgh Suburbs: Where to settle?

Hello there. I will be relocating to Pittsburgh this summer, living in the suburbs and working in the city. I'm looking for the "inside scoop" on where I should concentrate my home search.

I have a 7-year old, so school and neighborhood is obviously important. One of my primary concerns is the commute time. I started my home search in the eastern suburbs (Forest Hills/southern Penn Hills area), but since then, have heard that the commute may be worse from the east than from other areas. I hear tunnels may have something to do with this?

I've been told that the commute from North Hills and South Hills may be a bit easier. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 10:30 AM

10,184 posts, read 18,137,317 times
Several recent threads addressed some of your questions.

Try a search here in the forum; then come back with some more questions for folks.

Good luck!!

Old 01-28-2007, 07:04 PM

2,439 posts, read 5,793,133 times
The commute from the eastern suburbs is dreadful. The Parkway East seems to be backed up at all hours of the day, for no reason whatsoever.
I grew up in the North Hills, now live in the DC area, and visit family in Pgh several times a year. It's very easy to commute downtown from the North Hills via I-279. I have family members who can be downtown in less than 20 minutes from homes in Ross Twp near the interstate exits.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:26 PM

353 posts, read 1,085,801 times
North Hills has the easiest commute into the city - no tunnels! The South Butler area - Sarver/Buffalo Township is an easy connute by way of 28.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:44 PM

41,358 posts, read 45,359,696 times
Any township along route 28 or route 8 are the easiest commute. Close townships along 28 are Fox Chapel and Shaler. Up Route 8 is Shaler, Hampton, West Deer, Pine-Richland, and McClandless townships.

I recommend Hampton township. It's a very nice school district.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:25 PM

291 posts, read 950,873 times
Forrest Hills "used" to be nice, hasn't been for a long time now. I would go to the outer layings of PGH, unless of course you can move to Mt. Lebannon then that is a different story then. Westmoreland county and areas outside of Monroeville are very nice and close to alot of shopping and etc. Remember that the further out you go, the better off your be! In terms of good schools and safety and generally homes sales as well.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:49 PM

2 posts, read 111,833 times
Default Thanks for the feedback

I appreciate all the information! Now I have a better idea where to focus my home search.

So, if I were trying to stay within a 45-minute to 1-hour commute, it is safe to look in Sarver/Buffalo Twp (and South Butler in general), and Mt. Lebanon. Is Westmoreland County within one hour of the city? Would the commute from Westmoreland County be worse than from North Hills?

I'm seeing alot of property listings in Shaler, Fox Chapel, and McCandless Twps. Are these nice areas as far as safe neighborhoods and decent schools? Thanks again for the input.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:22 PM

11 posts, read 72,480 times
Default Southern Butler Co is best commute

For low taxes and ease of commute, I'd say look in southern Butler Co, particularly southWEST Butler Co., where you can hop on I-79 and 279 from Cranberry and be in downtown Pittsburgh in 20 minutes. Rush hours can sometimes be a little slower, but not nearly as bad as the eastern burbs or the South Hills, where you can get stuck in the tunnels forever.

The Seneca Valley School district (also southwest Butler Co) is also a good bet, if a little large by the time the kids get to the middle school. But the elementary schools have stayed small. My kids went to Evans City Elementary, and the teachers were awesome. Also great athletics in the middle school through high school years.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:50 PM

20 posts, read 116,593 times
Southwestern Butler Co. is a very good bet. You're definitely within 45 minutes of downtown even during rush hour. The places to look there are Cranberry Twp, Adams Twp, Mars, Evans City, Zelienople, Jackson Twp., and Harmony. Cranberry is the closest but is also crowded. Adams Twp. has become very very very pricey. Sarver/Buffalo Twp. are also good bets. All these towns are in Butler Co. and have the advantage of low propery taxes.

Fox Chapel and Mt. Lebanon are very upscale, but the schools are also very good. McCandless Twp. has more of a mix of middle class and upscale neighborhoods, but North Allegheny school district is really just as good as Mt. Lebanon or Fox Chapel. Shaler is more middle class, and Shaler school district is not as good as the others, but definitely worth a look. All these towns are in Allegheny Co. and the property taxes are quite a bit higher.

To downtown, Murrysville and North Huntingdon in Westmoreland Co. will be a good 45 minutes. You have to go through the Squirrel Hill tunnels to get to downtown and Parkway East is usually a mess. I personally wouldn't do it. The commutes from all the other towns are no longer and are definitely easier.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:50 PM

14 posts, read 98,136 times
Default living in pittsburgh

One of the fastest growing areas around Pittsburgh are the Cranberry and Wexford areas. The North Allegheny School District is supposed to be great. It is HUGE though. There are about 600 or 700 kids in a grade. I live in the Beaver Valley area. It's nice here with low taxes and low insurance rates and even a lower state income tax rate. There are good areas and not so good. Beaver School District and Center School District are both rated well. Both are considerably smaller than NA. Where I live in Center I am about 35 minutes from town- a straight shot down rt 60.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh