Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 03:09 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,710,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
Pymatuning Resevoir
I've gotta get up there and see that spillway with the fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 10:08 AM

25 posts, read 101,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVYinzer View Post
I can't believe no one mentioned Deep Creek, Maryland. It is much nicer than Lake Erie. It is surrounded by amazing properties (lakefront) to rent by the week.
Deep Creek is the #1 hangout spot for redneck families. It's a nice lake, but the town of McHenry has maybe 2 pizza shops, a burger king, and a few gas stations... not exactly my ideal vacation.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:26 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
I got 366 miles to both Belmar, NJ and Atlantic City, NJ - although experience tells me that the traffic between King of Prussia and the Walt Whitman Bridge is a lot heavier than the traffic between KOP and the Turnpike bridge.

If you're heading towards AC I would recommend the beaches in Brigantine - but if you're staying at a hotel in AC there's nothing more convenient than walking across the boardwalk. They are two very different experiences and it depends on your tastes or what you're in the mood for that day but I wouldn't put one above the other.

Ocean City, NJ is also pretty cool.

If you do the central Jersey beaches Asbury, Ocean Grove, Bradley Beach, Avon, Belmar, Spring Lake, Sea Girt and Manasquan are all great places that all have different vibes and each has their own little downtown a few blocks back from the beach with restaurants and shops. This part of the shore is much more year-round than the South Jersey beaches so hotels are usually a short-drive inland along one of the highways but in September and early October you can get amazing deals renting a house for a week . . . and the weather is still great and the water far warmer than what you'd find in Washington.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:46 AM

803 posts, read 2,969,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Actually, OBX is Outer Banks, NC (get it? Outer BanX..cute). Trust me, I know. I'm from VA, you think there's a lot here?

MY BAD!---Thanks for clarifying!--I've still got alot to learn about this place, here!!!!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 12:44 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeItBrown View Post
Deep Creek is the #1 hangout spot for redneck families. It's a nice lake, but the town of McHenry has maybe 2 pizza shops, a burger king, and a few gas stations... not exactly my ideal vacation.
When was the last time you were there? You would be hard pressed to find any local restaurant/bars, most are all chains. The DC/Baltimore money has pushed the values of homes up so high that the locals can't afford to live there. Boating on that lake is a nightmare, if you want to ski prepare to get around 6 AM, and no jet-skis during mid-afternoon. A friend of mine sold his property a few years back due to all the crowds.

Take a drive down there now and you'll see more Mercedes than you will pickup trucks.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:39 PM

14 posts, read 51,487 times
id save the trip and go to Erie, no different from the ocean and just as stunning

Old 09-15-2008, 04:21 AM

67 posts, read 304,862 times
I'd go with the Jersey shore, but then again I'm a little biased. If you want a less crowded boardwalk I'd go for the Spring Lake/Sea Girt area. If you want a nice residential area that's not touristy I'd go for Cape May. It's a longer drive but it's quaint and much easier to find a private beach.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:39 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Erie, no different from the ocean and just as stunning
Lake Erie can be beautiful, but it's different than being at the ocean.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:51 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,190,164 times
Baltimore on the Chesapeake Bay is only 190 miles away (as the crow flies).

Old 09-29-2008, 10:06 AM

33 posts, read 152,700 times
Have they replaced those rocky beaches with sand in Erie? How much have they cleaned up the lake? Just asking..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh