Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:25 AM

374 posts, read 1,284,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This may sound nitpicky, but there is no such thing as a degree in obstetrics. The degree is in medicine. Legally, an physician can do just about anything that is permitted under the medical practice acts; however, many hospitals require their staff to have certain certifications.

Another argument for the above is that abortion reduces child abuse. However, child abuse researchers say that most abused kids are very wanted kids whose parents have unrealistic expectations of them.

Re: Magee-I did my obstetrics clinicals there and I never got the feeling it was just a routine thing. Magee was a leader in the Pittsburgh areas in such areas as rooming-in, which was very controversial in the late 60s. I worked in a small hospital in small town California after I graduated from Pitt, and they were way behind Magee in obstetrics practices (they were also behind LA, but that's a different story).
Katina: I wasn't trying to get into the school part of it. I know that OB/GYNs are Doctors that focus their practice/research specifically on delivering babies and taking care of women. I just wanted to water it down J

Last edited by mr.davon24; 08-26-2008 at 10:36 AM..

Old 08-26-2008, 11:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Gotcha!

Old 08-26-2008, 11:39 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
You know -- we settled all this in 1973, when the United States Supreme Court said that women could have abortions. Roe v. Wade

We, as a country, HAVE to get past this. It's tying us up and tearing our country apart and we can get NOTHING ELSE done.

Since most women in the country lovingly welcome babies, I respectfully suggest this -- it's legal, get over it.

We have FAR FAR FAR more pressing issues than abortion to tackle, and it just galls me to hear intelligent people waste more time over an issue that was settled 35 years ago.

And if you think the Republicans really care about this issue -- they had both a Congress and presidency to change this rule, up until 2006 -- most of Bush's two terms -- and they didn't. Barely even tried. Because it's a MAJOR fund raising issue, because it's such a hot button issue. They know they can bring down the big bucks with this.

So stop being a sheep and deal with today's more important issues like the deficit, terrorism, wars, health care, disappearance of the middle class....

Old 08-26-2008, 11:45 AM

Too bad I can't give you more rep. I have felt this way for years! Abortion is a state issue, anyway. The feds can try to influence the state legislatures, but they can't make them vote a certain way.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:00 PM

213 posts, read 336,796 times
Default How sad

that people can so cavalierly discuss the murder of an innocent life as if it's just "business as usual." Or worse, a "medical procedure." How sad and disgusting.

God gives us life and He is the only one who should decide when it is taken away. I had two miscarriages before having my child and almost bled to death during the second one. I was brought to Magee for treatment. The doctor who treated me cried, yes CRIED, as she told me how sad it was for a couple like my husband and myself who had tried so hard for those two babies to lose them the way we did when she had a patient earlier in the week in for her THIRD abortion. Yes, THIRD. Seems that was her method of birth control. How lovely. Now that's something to be proud of, right all you RoE v. Wade fans?

Funny how advocates of gun control would be horrified and screaming from the top of their self-righteous soap boxes if someone walked up and shot an innocent person for no reason, yet it's quite okay to murder a life that has no means of defending itself. Not to mention that murder comes at the hands of the person who has the responsibility for defending and protecting that life. Unfortunately, in this age of no morals and family values, the youngest and most fragile among us are the ones who suffer the most.

And for those of you who advocate murder because there is supposedly something wrong with a baby, dear friends of ours were told when pregnant with their second child that he would be born with a serious birth defect. Their doctor recommended murdering their unborn son and "trying again." They didn't. He was born 100% healthy and is a thriving 6 year old today. Maybe that doesn't happen in every case, but again, it would be impossible to know that if the baby is murdered before he or she even has a chance to live.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:24 PM

84 posts, read 259,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
I'm re opening the thread, but please refrain from personal trips everyone. I understand this is an emotional issue, but at least try to be calm.
Also the way this is going I'm almost certain the thread will be moved to P&oC, discussing abortion in general is not a Pittsburgh specific topic.
Yac.
Then lets bring it back to Pgh. Magee has more issues than performing abortions...how about the fact that it is a WOMENS ONLY hospital! Where's my MEN ONLY hospital in Pgh? Considering men live shorter lives on average than women, I would guess we have just as many, if not more, health issues...

Old 08-26-2008, 02:50 PM

I don't know what's going on there now, but when I was a student there, there were floors that had men on them. I don't remember their diagnoses.

Women are the ones that have the babies. It's like a children's hospital is for kids.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:15 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,710,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
We have FAR FAR FAR more pressing issues than abortion to tackle, and it just galls me to hear intelligent people waste more time over an issue that was settled 35 years ago.

What?!?!? I was born in 1973...I'm 35!?!? How did this happen?

Old 08-26-2008, 03:17 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,710,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaS1 View Post
that people can so cavalierly discuss the murder of an innocent life as if it's just "business as usual." Or worse, a "medical procedure." How sad and disgusting.

God gives us life and He is the only one who should decide when it is taken away. I had two miscarriages before having my child and almost bled to death during the second one. I was brought to Magee for treatment. The doctor who treated me cried, yes CRIED, as she told me how sad it was for a couple like my husband and myself who had tried so hard for those two babies to lose them the way we did when she had a patient earlier in the week in for her THIRD abortion. Yes, THIRD. Seems that was her method of birth control. How lovely. Now that's something to be proud of, right all you RoE v. Wade fans?

Funny how advocates of gun control would be horrified and screaming from the top of their self-righteous soap boxes if someone walked up and shot an innocent person for no reason, yet it's quite okay to murder a life that has no means of defending itself. Not to mention that murder comes at the hands of the person who has the responsibility for defending and protecting that life. Unfortunately, in this age of no morals and family values, the youngest and most fragile among us are the ones who suffer the most.

And for those of you who advocate murder because there is supposedly something wrong with a baby, dear friends of ours were told when pregnant with their second child that he would be born with a serious birth defect. Their doctor recommended murdering their unborn son and "trying again." They didn't. He was born 100% healthy and is a thriving 6 year old today. Maybe that doesn't happen in every case, but again, it would be impossible to know that if the baby is murdered before he or she even has a chance to live.

If there is a "god", and I seriously doubt it, It is most assuredly pro-choice. Animals abort their developing fetuses all the time. Pssst...some of them are homosexual, too!

Old 08-26-2008, 03:51 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,550,094 times
I agree with creeps above...No need for the "who is more moral" conversation...Nobody is familar with the patient in this story. Maybe her life was threatend and she had no other choice in the matter, maybe her child had a life threatning genetic disease and that is the decision she made for it...Whatever it may be, who are any of us to judge if she was "moral" in her decision?

And if your judging and think she is immoral for doing what she did...I am assuming you have adopted an unwanted baby then...Your doing your part right? All of these people who would choose to have a baby and put it up for adoption instead of aborting,,,you will be first in line to adopt those babies right?? You know all the genetically disfigured babies or the drug addicted ones... Your going to step up to the plate and adopt one...right??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh