Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 09:55 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyahunting View Post
OMG RN's only make 20 bucks an hour is Pittsburgh? Are you sure? Maybe you are thinking LVN? I am a respiratroy therapist in CA. I make 25 per hour and that is on the lower scale. RN's make well over 40 per hour here. LVN make about 20. I know the cost of living is different but man that is a serious difference. I am considering moving out there and I am worried I will not get good pay. UPMC listed starting pay at 21 for a RT. RN's must make more than that. Crazy!
Yes, those are RN's. It also goes to cost of living in an area. The RN's whom I am friends with live comfortably on their salaries around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 05:15 AM

19 posts, read 102,312 times
Thank you all so much for your input. I went to the link and there are 3 diff. rates listed, so it's confusing. Juliempdx, thanks to you esp. What you make is lower than what I make. Dugdog, as far as cost of living goes, I live in a state w/ lower COL and make more money. I'm surprized at the wage diff.
Again, thanks to everyone for taking time to answer my question.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
The three different rates are usually the lowest, mid-range, and highest pay for the jobs.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:32 PM

374 posts, read 1,284,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
According to the link, the starting salary is $19.70/hr, or about $39,000/yr (assuming 2000 hrs/yr). Of course, overtime and shift/weekend differentials add to it.
That’s for start off she'll be in the Middle. I had a friend fresh out of nursing school get a 5,000 dollar signing bonus. She started out at 25 dollars and hour too. You have to figure "The Big Brother" aka Upmc doesn't have any competition. So basically they set their wages. The good thing about being a nurse they are always in demand. I plan on going to school for my associates then BSN. I’m really not worried about their wages because Upmc pays well to those with experience. I have 3+ years as a Ma so that should help me.

Last edited by mr.davon24; 08-27-2008 at 01:00 PM..

Old 08-27-2008, 12:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
You never know how many years experience they want to call it "mid-range". I am still surprised at how low starting sal. is.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:21 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cymmiller View Post
Thank you all so much for your input. I went to the link and there are 3 diff. rates listed, so it's confusing. Juliempdx, thanks to you esp. What you make is lower than what I make. Dugdog, as far as cost of living goes, I live in a state w/ lower COL and make more money. I'm surprized at the wage diff.
Again, thanks to everyone for taking time to answer my question.
Well, then as someone else stated, you can blame UPMC, haha

Old 08-27-2008, 01:59 PM

105 posts, read 374,374 times
You wrote: I just started working in Pittsburgh, I have a bachelors degree and six years experience I make $24.80/hr working for UPMC. Which is crappy pay, I don't know where you work right now but I made $7/hr more in Portland, OR. Our rent is only $150 less, utilities are double here, groceries are triple, a wage tax which I have never heard of and a local wage service tax. A new grad starts out at UPMC for $18 a hour, I made that six years ago in Boise, ID as a new graduate nurse.

Just curious how you spend on utilities, and groceries, and rent. i know it is off subject. It seems so much cheaper to me in Pittsburgh from Cali. I pay 1650 a month for rent here on a 3 bedroom townhome. I acn get a house there in Pittsburgh for 700 a month. Just curious?

Old 08-27-2008, 04:26 PM

165 posts, read 662,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyahunting View Post
You wrote: I just started working in Pittsburgh, I have a bachelors degree and six years experience I make $24.80/hr working for UPMC. Which is crappy pay, I don't know where you work right now but I made $7/hr more in Portland, OR. Our rent is only $150 less, utilities are double here, groceries are triple, a wage tax which I have never heard of and a local wage service tax. A new grad starts out at UPMC for $18 a hour, I made that six years ago in Boise, ID as a new graduate nurse.

Just curious how you spend on utilities, and groceries, and rent. i know it is off subject. It seems so much cheaper to me in Pittsburgh from Cali. I pay 1650 a month for rent here on a 3 bedroom townhome. I acn get a house there in Pittsburgh for 700 a month. Just curious?
Well my husband is attending grad school at Pitt to become a CRNA so automatically that puts us at one salary. Our rent is $840, it is a nice place and includes a garage, we have only been here three weeks, our first electric bill for those three weeks was $66, gas bill $35(the only thing that is gas is our stove and we have used it three times). It was $215 to register one of our cars here, oh I also pay $90/month to park at the hospital I work at. Once you add up all of your deductions i.e. insurance, retirement, etc. and you only have one income that is not a lot of money left over to live off of. The nursing market is saturated in Pittsburgh which is why they can pay so low. I am told there are 13 nursing schools in Pittsburgh alone and 80,000 new graduate nurses in the state of PA. Then you add in that one corporation runs almost all the city's hospitals and you have no salary competition. Honestly I think it is probably cheaper to buy a house in Pittsburgh than rent but we have no plans of staying once my husband is done with school. As far as food goes our car insurance agent told us even his clients who move here from CA complain about the price of groceries if that gives you an idea. In the long run it probably is cheaper to live here than in California but what good does that do you when you are making comparable wages. I could see if the cost of living was really low and the pay was high.

Last edited by juliempdx; 08-27-2008 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-27-2008, 04:43 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliempdx View Post
groceries are triple
While I'm not a nurse, so I can't dispute any salary figures, I find this seriously hard to believe, unless you shop exclusively at Whole Foods or the like...

Old 08-27-2008, 05:20 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
I believe that more than 50% of all women/men holding a nursing license in PA are in another field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh