Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brand03 View Post
No offense but some of you are pretty out of touch with reality. I'm sitting here cracking up at some of the responses. Sure, the Hill District can be a dangerous neighborhood. I work in the Violence Prevention field and have dealt with that area extensively and also have lived in the Sugartop section for several years. However, it is not what it is being made out to be on this forum. You are not going to get dragged out of your car and beat up. Most people are middle or lower income families with the same aspirations as everyone else. I would tell a person not familiar with the neighborhood to avoid the project areas but, other than that, there is nothing to be afraid about. Take a visit to the Hill House, YMCA, and drive through down Wylie Ave to see where the Crawford Grille used to be. Crawford Square and Schenley Heights (Sugartop) are both relatively safe. Visit and get to know some of the actual residents before forming such a strong opinion.
Completely agree, especially on the point of getting to know actual residents. My friend owned a house on the hill (I stayed with him for a while) and his neighbors were lovely people. Lots of kids always playing outside in the summer, too.

I used to walk from his house on Webster down to Fifth Avenue to catch the 500 (RIP) back to my house on the North Side in the evenings during the summer and never had anyone bother me. One time someone approached me: an older dude wanted to know if I would split a BOGO bus coupon. I'll take that deal any day of the week!

And this is not to say that you can't get yourself into trouble on the Hill -- like anywhere else, you can -- but 99% of the people who live there are just ordinary folks doing ordinary things, just like in any other neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 01:38 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
And this is not to say that you can't get yourself into trouble on the Hill -- like anywhere else, you can -- but 99% of the people who live there are just ordinary folks doing ordinary things, just like in any other neighborhood.
I was chatting with a young mother who was swimming with her little girl at the Y today. She said she used to belong to the Y in another part of Pittsburgh (Homewood?) and switched to the Y on Centre because of shootings near the other Y. She was afraid for her daughter. She likes this Y much better. Like me she just joined a few weeks ago.

Off topic, but I had to buy a smaller swimsuit this weekend. The Y is working!

Old 04-09-2013, 01:41 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Off topic, but I had to buy a smaller swimsuit this weekend. The Y is working!

Photos???

Old 04-09-2013, 01:59 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Photos???
Why Copanut, I'm shocked!

Old 04-09-2013, 03:53 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
2 shot early Tuesday in Hill District | TribLIVE Mobile
Let's not drink too much of the kook-aid here. I'm not saying most of the Hill District should be refered to as a hostile war zone, but it truely is a rough neighborhood. Second to none (note even Homewood with 92 murders) the Hill (excluding SugarTop) is the the murder capitol of Pittsburgh with 97 murders from 1997-2012. Though its safe to say that most motives were somehow inner-personal disputes or were drug-related (but rarely gang/group-related between rival factions in the Chauncey Drive Housing Projects & Homewood).

Q: Does that mean you will most definitley be robbed if you walk there during the day???
A: No... In fact, you most likely won't have a problem at all...

There have never been any safety issues during any of my many experiences in the Hill District and have plenty of good memories. Still numbers don't lie, and there's a criminal element that can prove it. The Hill's criminal element isn't a predatory one, and you will likely not have a problem unless you go find one. Yet its one where many of people have killed in.
That is the sole reason why I don't recommend Bedford Dwellings, Middle Hill, and part of Lower Hill, and tell OP's to avoid walking through the areas listed above at night (yet if so don't walk alone/take serious precautions)... It's not a displaced sense of fear, but in a sense a wise & distanced respect for the high number of recent homicides and notable element of drug/gang activity.

Last edited by Uptown kid; 04-09-2013 at 04:08 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 04:08 PM

5 posts, read 10,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Let's not drink too much of the kook-aid here. I'm not saying most of the Hill District should be refered to as a hostile war zone, but it truely is a rough neighborhood. Second to none (note even Homewood with 92 murders) the Hill (excluding SugarTop) is the the murder capitol of Pittsburgh with 97 murders from 1997-2012. Though its safe to say that most motives were somehow inner-personal disputes or were drug-related (but rarely gang/group-related between rival factions in the Chauncey Drive Housing Projects & Homewood).

Q: Does that mean you will most definitley be robbed if you walk there during the day???

There have never been any safety issues during any of my many experiences in the Hill District and have plenty of good memories. Still numbers don't lie, and there's a criminal element that can prove it. The Hill's criminal element isn't a predatory one, and you will likely not have a problem unless you go find one. Yet it is one where many of people have killed in...
Agreed.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:38 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Quote:

There have never been any safety issues during any of my many experiences in the Hill District and have plenty of good memories. Still numbers don't lie, and there's a criminal element that can prove it. The Hill's criminal element isn't a predatory one, and you will likely not have a problem unless you go find one. Yet its one where many of people have killed in.
That is the sole reason why I don't recommend Bedford Dwellings, Middle Hill, and part of Lower Hill, and tell OP's to avoid walking through the areas listed above at night (yet if so don't walk alone/take serious precautions)... It's not a displaced sense of fear, but in a sense a wise & distanced respect for the high number of recent homicides and notable element of drug/gang activity.
Well said UK!

Old 04-09-2013, 09:50 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
TBH this was a better article than the one I posted earlier (so same shooting incident & no new developments)
2 Injured In Hill District Shootings « CBS Pittsburgh

Old 04-11-2013, 08:34 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
It isn't like that just on Center ave either.

I picked a different street every time I walked through the place, even cutting through the side streets, just to see more of the neighborhood. Never a problem. There are some interesting buildings up there. Homes with good bones that need a complete renovation of the interior (gas, water, electric, drywalling, etc).
That is the reason why I will keep the property that I already have there

Old 04-11-2013, 08:45 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
TBH this was a better article than the one I posted earlier (so same shooting incident & no new developments)
2 Injured In Hill District Shootings « CBS Pittsburgh

I'm curious, do they have the same focus on crimes in other parts of the city, or are they doing this primarily to the Hill? I found that it is very hard to buy land on the Hill even for investment purposes could the media induced fear be part of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh