U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 08-29-2008, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Forest Hills
374 posts, read 841,875 times
Reputation: 57
Default Need wedding ceremony Idea.

Ok, I've been searching for ever for place to get married. I can to conclusion that getting married in a church is too orginal not that there is anything wrong with that. I am the type of person that loves being different. There is a big problem I need ideas on facilities that would allow us to get married. I have no clue where to look. A little info on the space needed. In need to atleast hold one hundred people and allow us to provide our on catering. PLEASE HELP US!


Also looking for photographers. I rather have someone from the Burgh to put there name on the map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 08-29-2008, 04:19 PM
 
2,753 posts, read 3,182,064 times
Reputation: 1691
Ok, first, are you sure I can't talk you out of this? Really? We may come back to this question later. Ok then, congratulations, and I wish you the best.

Even though I've done it a few times I'm still almost as clueless as you are. Either I was blocking it out or in too much of a daze to be aware of much that was happening. The only thing I'd tell ya is whatever you like, whatever you and your betrothed are into, rivers, mountains, cityscapes or fire escapes I think that should be your guide. I even saw on the news recently where one couple exchanged vows after jumping out of a plane; could be they were hoping their chutes wouldn't open, but let's keep a good thought.

I'd say first pick the place to exchange your vows, (the minister, as long as it's not a priest will go anywhere; Catholics are still hold-outs), and then have the reception as close to that place as possible. The biggest mistake everybody makes when it comes to planning a party, which is all a wedding is for everyone but the bride and groom, something they wanna get through as painlessly as possible), is they only consider what they want, not what would make their guests most comfortable and have the best time. Think about all the weddings, confirmations, the barbecues you've been to where there wasn't enough cold beer or edible chicken legs, and just make it a fun, easy day for your guests and it will more enjoyable for you too. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-29-2008, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Forest Hills
374 posts, read 841,875 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
Ok, first, are you sure I can't talk you out of this? Really? We may come back to this question later. Ok then, congratulations, and I wish you the best.

Even though I've done it a few times I'm still almost as clueless as you are. Either I was blocking it out or in too much of a daze to be aware of much that was happening. The only thing I'd tell ya is whatever you like, whatever you and your betrothed are into, rivers, mountains, cityscapes or fire escapes I think that should be your guide. I even saw on the news recently where one couple exchanged vows after jumping out of a plane; could be they were hoping their chutes wouldn't open, but let's keep a good thought.

I'd say first pick the place to exchange your vows, (the minister, as long as it's not a priest will go anywhere; Catholics are still hold-outs), and then have the reception as close to that place as possible. The biggest mistake everybody makes when it comes to planning a party, which is all a wedding is for everyone but the bride and groom, something they wanna get through as painlessly as possible), is they only consider what they want, not what would make their guests most comfortable and have the best time. Think about all the weddings, confirmations, the barbecues you've been to where there wasn't enough cold beer or edible chicken legs, and just make it a fun, easy day for your guests and it will more enjoyable for you too. Good luck.

Lol! I am one hundred percent sure I want to take this “death defying jump in to eternity”. He has been together since 1999. We already have children together and I think it’s the right thing to do. Don’t worry I have put a lot of thought into it. Honestly the problem is that we’re to busy trying to accommodate our entire guest. When doing so that raises the price. When to weddings get this way? My thoughts were to get married down by the fountain but, I don’t think the city would take too kindly to that. If I had a choice I would love to exchange our vows there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-29-2008, 05:40 PM
 
2,753 posts, read 3,182,064 times
Reputation: 1691
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.davon24 View Post
Lol! I am one hundred percent sure I want to take this “death defying jump in to eternity”. He has been together since 1999. We already have children together and I think it’s the right thing to do. Don’t worry I have put a lot of thought into it. Honestly the problem is that we’re to busy trying to accommodate our entire guest. When doing so that raises the price. When to weddings get this way? My thoughts were to get married down by the fountain but, I don’t think the city would take too kindly to that. If I had a choice I would love to exchange our vows there.
Ok, you sold me. First find a room, a reasonably priced, convenient for most room, not too big, not too small room, go easy on the food and bar tab, (you might be able to convince a bar or restaurant owner of a place that's usually dark at that time; a holiday or a Sunday)? Go for a flat rate, so you'll know what you'll get and what the tab will be up front, and most importantly good music; get yourself the right band or the right dj, and just keep it simple as you can. Theses things do have a tendency to get outta hand; small is better than big I think, at least in this situation.... Funny, 'cause as I'm writing this I can already hear the ladies of the forum taking exception..... What! This guy doesn't know what he's talking about! And they're right of course. So feel free to disregard this entire post, and just know that I really do wish you the best. Sounds like you're making a good move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-29-2008, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Forest Hills
374 posts, read 841,875 times
Reputation: 57
Thank you for your best wishes and imput.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-29-2008, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Oakland CA
6,614 posts, read 8,511,770 times
Reputation: 6386
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.davon24 View Post
Lol! I am one hundred percent sure I want to take this “death defying jump in to eternity”. He has been together since 1999. We already have children together and I think it’s the right thing to do. Don’t worry I have put a lot of thought into it. Honestly the problem is that we’re to busy trying to accommodate our entire guest. When doing so that raises the price. When to weddings get this way? My thoughts were to get married down by the fountain but, I don’t think the city would take too kindly to that. If I had a choice I would love to exchange our vows there.
Have you asked anyone in the city? I'm sure yours isn't the first request. It's a GREAT location.

Point State Park
101 Commonwealth Pl.
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
412-471-0235
Manager: John Samosky

E-mail: parkregion2sp@state.pa.us


I'm a woman of the small wedding variety -- I got married in my mom's back yard... about 60 people there. We had a picnic, complete with sack races and water balloon fights. Cold cut platters, lots of salads, homemade cookies and I made my own wedding cake. Four of them. Just four different cakes, not specially decorated.

I didn't care about any of that -- I just wanted to GET MARRIED. Twenty five years it was still the best decision I ever made.

And maybe hire a wedding planner? He or she will know where to get what you need in the budget you have.

All I know is that the people I have known getting married were flustered by all the "necessities" bridal vendors want to sell -- you don't need them. You don't need favors, you don't need printed napkins, you don't need matchbooks. You may want some of these things but that's a want, not a need.

For a wedding you need a bride, a groom and a license. The rest of it is gravy. And you get to decide how much gravy you want.

Good luck and have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-29-2008, 08:30 PM
 
141 posts, read 401,739 times
Reputation: 50
I have to agree with Tallysmom- I got married at a B&B in Butler county(ceremony & reception)...50ppl. The mayor of Mars married us. It was perfect. I have no regrets. And I am not still paying for it 8 yrs later

Weddings are about you promising yourself to your mate. And God if you are so inclined. The rest is mostly crap that you will forget and overpay for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-29-2008, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Forest Hills
374 posts, read 841,875 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghtebbie View Post
I have to agree with Tallysmom- I got married at a B&B in Butler county(ceremony & reception)...50ppl. The mayor of Mars married us. It was perfect. I have no regrets. And I am not still paying for it 8 yrs later

Weddings are about you promising yourself to your mate. And God if you are so inclined. The rest is mostly crap that you will forget and overpay for!



Thank you all that stopped pass to answer my question. D&B was one of our choices but, we opted for a fire hall. The wedding ceremony for us is the hard part. We have a good cater and everything is pretty easy access. I forgot to mention it would a winter wedding. I agree my sister and brother in law still tossing a fuss about their 32k on their wedding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-30-2008, 01:02 AM
 
Location: Oakland CA
6,614 posts, read 8,511,770 times
Reputation: 6386
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.davon24 View Post
Thank you all that stopped pass to answer my question. D&B was one of our choices but, we opted for a fire hall. The wedding ceremony for us is the hard part. We have a good cater and everything is pretty easy access. I forgot to mention it would a winter wedding. I agree my sister and brother in law still tossing a fuss about their 32k on their wedding.
Why am I thinking of you dressed in a white fur cape and flower laden muff at the fountain in the middle of winter? I know it must have been some soap opera wedding thing I saw....

Winter wedding -- so it has to be indoors... are we talking North Hills, South Hills, Downtown?

You might be able to get married in an historic place. San Francisco City Hall has a beautiful rotunda they let out for weddings on Saturdays and Sundays. But for the life of my I can't think of what City Hall looks like in Pittsburgh.

We have had weddings in our library on the steps in the great hall. Museums have held weddings. Heck -- we had a punk rocker marry in Mountain View Cemetery!

And a hundred people isn't that large...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-30-2008, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Forest Hills
374 posts, read 841,875 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Why am I thinking of you dressed in a white fur cape and flower laden muff at the fountain in the middle of winter? I know it must have been some soap opera wedding thing I saw....

Winter wedding -- so it has to be indoors... are we talking North Hills, South Hills, Downtown?

You might be able to get married in an historic place. San Francisco City Hall has a beautiful rotunda they let out for weddings on Saturdays and Sundays. But for the life of my I can't think of what City Hall looks like in Pittsburgh.

We have had weddings in our library on the steps in the great hall. Museums have held weddings. Heck -- we had a punk rocker marry in Mountain View Cemetery!

And a hundred people isn't that large...



Sorry for being cheesy but that does sound romantic. I am going to call the city parks guy on Tuesday. I just want to do something so different everyone would still be talking about it. Thanks for the idea please keep them coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top