Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 05:23 PM

3 posts, read 7,498 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
My family will be moving to Pittsburgh area and I hope you can help me. Our kids are past college age but good schools are a plus. My husband's job does not anchor him to Pittsburgh in any way, he does a lot of traveling. We are looking into suburban neighborhoods, CLOSE to (but not in) small towns where one can walk down the street to a nice restaurant or just go for a walk. We don't care for the new developments where one can get around only by car. A nice size private lot is a must. We've been told to look at Fox Chapel, Upper St. Clair, Mt. Lebanon, Oakmont. Any inputs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 06:13 PM

85 posts, read 335,434 times
I live in the South Hills so can only speak to this area but I am looking for the exact same as you and can only recommend Mt Lebo in the South. You can't walk around much in Upper St Clair. I grew up in the city and the closest I can find to how I grew up with respect to walking is Mt Lebo. I also hate new developments and want good schools. If my townhouse ever sells, that's where I will be moving.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:15 PM

85 posts, read 335,434 times
Just noticed you want a nice sized private lot. Not likely in Mt Lebo. If that is more important, you will be very very limited in your selection there.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:12 PM

156 posts, read 296,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfer View Post
I live in the South Hills so can only speak to this area but I am looking for the exact same as you and can only recommend Mt Lebo in the South. You can't walk around much in Upper St Clair. I grew up in the city and the closest I can find to how I grew up with respect to walking is Mt Lebo. I also hate new developments and want good schools. If my townhouse ever sells, that's where I will be moving.
Since you are out of town, you might not know that "Mt Lebo" is short for "Mt. Lebanon, PA"

Old 09-03-2008, 05:31 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Fox Chapel doesn't have a downtown. There are a couple shopping centers next to each other. The restaurants there are mostly your typical chains. It's very spreadout and I don't think there's many sidewalks. Good school.

Oakmont is about 1-1/2 square miles laid out in a grid fashion on the side of a hill. It has a downtown with a post office, library, restaurants, banks, small shops, riverside park, etc. Gas lanterns along the main streets. It lost it's only supermarket last year. There's a big one in the neighboring town. There are sidewalks everywhere and people do a lot of walking and jogging. The school is above average. There's all types of homes there so the size of your lot will depend where you live. Up the hill I guess they are 100'x100' average. When they last built new homes there was 3 to an acre.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:43 AM

137 posts, read 353,968 times
I agree, Oakmont is the best of the bunch. Try the North Hills. Nice upper working class people, affordable homes with easy access to 76, 80 and 79.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:52 AM

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloride1 View Post
Since you are out of town, you might not know that "Mt Lebo" is short for "Mt. Lebanon, PA"
You're right, I didn't know that.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:58 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Also try Aspinwall - It gets over looked alot and is very close to Waterworks and has its own central business district near freeport, and a fleemarket used to take place every saturday afternoon (dont know if it still does)

Old 09-03-2008, 10:06 AM

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Also try Aspinwall - It gets over looked alot and is very close to Waterworks and has its own central business district near freeport, and a fleemarket used to take place every saturday afternoon (dont know if it still does)
I checked it out - it looks like a nice little town.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:27 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
I didn't mention Aspinwall because from what I know and have seen they have very small yards and houses are close together. There's always so many cars parked on the street I think a lot of those places don't have garages. The parking meters in the business district seem very out of place. It's small but very nice and easy to walk around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh