Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 11:55 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
Maybe if all school districts or municipalities shared in the subsidized business it would be more tolerable, but they are usually only located in working class neighborhoods that already have a more tenuous grasp on getting by, and then what those places have worked for is destroyed and they get a bad reputation and community pride diminishes among those who have maintained things and made it into a decent place.
This is why the idea of dispersing poverty has failed. The programs have completely failed to disperse the poverty. What these programs need to have any chance of succeeding, it to have strict limits on the number of vouchers given in any one municipality, or school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 11:58 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
But crime in the aggregate is dropping and the deconcentration of poverty is one factor often asserted to be behind that. Congress and the federal government is supposed to work for the best for everybody, not just people in the suburbs. Section 8 worked for a great number of people individually and for society in the aggregate.
This is only if you can directly correlate the drop in crime to Section 8 housing programs. Everyone from gun advocates (increased gun ownership) to pro-choice supporters (less unwanted children) use the drop in violent crime statistics to claim their special interest is the cause.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:05 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
This is only if you can directly correlate the drop in crime to Section 8 housing programs. Everyone from gun advocates (increased gun ownership) to pro-choice supporters (less unwanted children) use the drop in violent crime statistics to claim their special interest is the cause.

True and there is lots of argument about the causes of the drop in crime. However, this dispersal is one of the commonly cited factors given the crime has dropped most rapidly in many cities.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:13 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
But crime in the aggregate is dropping and the deconcentration of poverty is one factor often asserted to be behind that. Congress and the federal government is supposed to work for the best for everybody, not just people in the suburbs. Section 8 worked for a great number of people individually and for society in the aggregate.
I agree, that overall, crime is down. My point is, that over time, the poverty has become concentrated again, which is leading to spikes in crime in those areas. Overall crime rates have begun to climb again, and I believe it is because the poverty is becoming concentrated again.

One of the other issues with moving the poverty to the suburbs, is that the police forces are smaller, and have less resources to deal with the kind of serious crime that they are now seeing.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:20 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
It's a complicated problem, that's for sure. I wish I knew the answer, but after all these years the only conclusion I can make is there is no simple or one-size-fits-all solution.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:22 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
I don't have a problem with grouping them all together; better that than making average places below average.
As long as they're not grouped together in your neighborhood, correct?

Old 01-29-2013, 01:39 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
As long as they're not grouped together in your neighborhood, correct?
Haha, yeah, I have to agree that is true. Of course, my neighborhood isn't really exclusive so there is already plenty of that stuff. The problem is when it passes a certain point and even working stiffs like me don't want to deal with it. Best for everyone to work together and try to keep things halfway decent so serious and persistent problems don't make a home.

It's too bad money is the driver for so much in our culture. Maybe if things like subsidized housing were contingent on how nice or responsible of a person someone is rather than only how poor they are it would be more successful because it would reward socially productive behavior.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,908 times
was this a debartlo mall and now gallareo

Old 02-10-2013, 10:33 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,308 times
DeBartolo built Century III, then they sold off all their assets to Simon Property Group in the mid-1990s. Simon defaulted on its loan payments for the mall in 2009 or 2010. It is now being managed by Jones Lang LaSalle.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:07 PM

48 posts, read 49,498 times
My question is: what will happen to all those buildings? They deteriorate over time, and no one cares when they build these big buildings who will take care of them when tenants leave or the area shuts down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh