Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 04:07 AM

803 posts, read 2,969,899 times

Advertisements

I've listened to nothing but "Left of 92" for years, and here in Pittsburgh, you have two of the better ones, in WDUQ and WYEP-FM....

WYEP is a vibrant station, playing a wide mix of things depending on the timeslot, and limited news interruptions... Highly recommended....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 05:56 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver1 View Post
Couldn't agree more.When I was visiting Pittsburgh WDVE sounded exactly like 102.5 in Tampa.At least Pittsburgh has WDUQ for jazz lovers.Tampa only has a "smooth" jazz station and another that plays jazz only on weekend nights.
Pittsburgh has a few for good jazz and classical stations. That is all I listen to anymore if I don't have a cd in.

If you are still listening to Fm radio for recent new music than you are very behind the times.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:39 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
We are fortunate in Pitsburgh to have three public stations: WQED-FM (All Classical), WDUQ-FM (Jazz and NPR news and features), and WYEP (good music). These three are my main stations, and if I feel like hearing "Stairway to Heaven," I'm sure to find it on one of the many other sound-alike commercial stations.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:18 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,428 times
Maybe with the reforming of Wall St. we can sneak some kind of amendment in there to reform radio again!

Old 09-25-2008, 03:38 PM

3 posts, read 6,903 times
Nuwaver 88 - we could have been friends back in the day...my best memories of high school is seeing U2 on May 3, 1983 at the Fulton Theatre! I get shivers just thinking about it! That was during their WAR tour. Oh - and Siouxie at the Stanley! Anyway - I no longer live in Pittsburgh, but I feel your pain. Have you tried XM radio? I love it - I am really frugal, but I can't give it up! I am always saying - 'Are you kidding me? I forgot about this song' - stations like Fred, Ethel and Lucy always keep you guessing. If you listen to music on the internet, you may want to try Dave FM in Atlanta - they play a decent mix of music.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:34 PM

133 posts, read 391,811 times
Those of you in the 'burgh who think radio stations are horrible everywhere are delusional. I've lived in other places with much better stations and many more stations. No station is perfect, but the ones here are just the bottom of the barrel.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pic-chic View Post
Those of you in the 'burgh who think radio stations are horrible everywhere are delusional. I've lived in other places with much better stations and many more stations. No station is perfect, but the ones here are just the bottom of the barrel.
I've lived in several different areas as well, and they were pretty much garbage there as well

Old 09-25-2008, 09:12 PM

632 posts, read 1,739,929 times
I don't know. I think radio is pretty much crap everywhere you go. Pittsburgh hardly has the market cornered on bad radio. It's just a function of the Clear Channel monopoly - conformity and boredom, all in the name of turning a profit.

I'll probably lose street cred for this (if I had any to start with), but I kind of like Bob FM. They play a lot of stuff from the 80's, which is the last decade I could stand to listen to music from.

Or if you really just can't stand any station around here, this site is really cool: Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music

It allows you to make your own radio station streaming live on the internet, and lets you get rid of songs/artists you don't like and suggests cool new music based on your stated interests.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:00 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
I don't know. I think radio is pretty much crap everywhere you go. Pittsburgh hardly has the market cornered on bad radio. It's just a function of the Clear Channel monopoly - conformity and boredom, all in the name of turning a profit.

I'll probably lose street cred for this (if I had any to start with), but I kind of like Bob FM. They play a lot of stuff from the 80's, which is the last decade I could stand to listen to music from.

Or if you really just can't stand any station around here, this site is really cool: Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music

It allows you to make your own radio station streaming live on the internet, and lets you get rid of songs/artists you don't like and suggests cool new music based on your stated interests.

My new neighbor just lent me (one of) his external hard drive(s) which is basically a virtual record store with intriguing folders like "Lou Reed-Complete Discography" (including all the Velvet Underground recordings). Chances are, I'll never listen to the radio again.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
My new neighbor just lent me (one of) his external hard drive(s) which is basically a virtual record store with intriguing folders like "Lou Reed-Complete Discography" (including all the Velvet Underground recordings). Chances are, I'll never listen to the radio again.
Dude!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh