Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:17 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corralmj View Post
What is a descent school district in the suburbs?
Most of the suburban school districts are "decent."

Here are some off the top of my head...some (not all) of these rank among the best in the state of PA:

Bethel Park School District
Chartiers Valley School District
Fox Chapel Area School District
Gateway School District
Hampton Township School District
Moon Area School District
Mt. Lebanon School District
North Allegheny School District
North Hills School District
Pine-Richland School District
Quaker Valley School District
Shaler Area School District
South Fayette School District
Upper St. Clair School District
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 07:14 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzpdq View Post
I'm a Pittsburgh-area resident who is currently selling all my possessions and moving elsewhere -- anywhere I can find a job. I'm not a teacher, but I am a college-educated professional...and the job market here is a JOKE.

A few weeks ago I met a woman in the Pittsburgh area -- a teacher -- who was selling all her possessions and moving to Austin. She indicated that there was a considerable need for teachers in Austin. Since you're used to the heat, you might do well to look at the Texas capital for work.

In closing, I love my hometown of Pittsburgh, but when the national economy is in dire straits, Pittsburgh gets slammed doubly hard. Just sayin'.
Selling all of your posessions, for a move? Is UHaul all out of trucks?
I think you win the hyperbole prize today.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:09 PM

49 posts, read 188,470 times
Mr. Mon- That's just not nice at all. No "hyperbole" intended. Some people actually do have to sell it all to move on with their life. When I moved to NYC 15 years ago I did sell just about everything I owned and I don't regret it one bit. It was the best thing I ever did. Procrastination equals stagnation. Good luck xyzpdq. You will be fine.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:35 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corralmj View Post
What is a descent school district in the suburbs?
I was thinking about Oakmont. The Riverview school system rates about 130 in the state although the students get a better education than the test scores indicate. Taxes on a house assessed at $153,000 are $5,400 a year or about 3-1/2%. Insurance is $440.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:02 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
I was thinking about Oakmont. The Riverview school system rates about 130 in the state although the students get a better education than the test scores indicate. Taxes on a house assessed at $153,000 are $5,400 a year or about 3-1/2%. Insurance is $440.
I think you're just a tad high on that. Combined millage rate for Oakmont-County-Riverview SD is 31.35 x 153000 = 4796. Enough left over to buy school supplies.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:37 AM

5 posts, read 13,831 times
I live in NJ and am considering moving to Pitt. I was looking at job boards and found a TON of jobs in HR and the admin fields. NJ is a joke to live in bc they have NO opportunites low paying or not and yet the price of rent, homes, taxes EVERYTHING is beyond normal. You basically need to be filthy rich to live here and Im considering moving to Pitt. am I seeing imaginary jobs or something?

Old 10-15-2008, 09:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
See my response in the "Reasons not to move to Pittsburgh" thread. Your experience may be different, so by all means pursue it if you want. I do think, especially now, you should have a job lined up before you pack up and move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh