U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-07-2008, 08:57 PM

18 posts, read 29,435 times
Default Honest info. for relocation

Hi, I'm new in the forum. I am currently living in Miami, Florida and coming to the sad realization that its just way to expensive here. I was wondering if perhaps anyone can give some info. about Pitts. in regards to property taxes for homes (200,000.00 - 300,000) and homeowners ins. Unfortunatley, in Miami I am paying 8,000.00 in taxes a year and 5,000.00 for insurance (thanks to the hurricanes.).

Also if you can guide me to good places to live with children, I would really appreciate it.

You'll probably be hearing a lot from me since, I'm planning to relocate in 2 years. after graducating as an Elementary Teacher.

Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 09:23 PM

858 posts, read 1,349,018 times
Well, the big thing with property taxes is are they are very dependent on the area you are living in. The taxes themselves aren't high but in Pennsylvania, funding for school districts is calculated into property taxes so that usually puts them up higher...in the case of Allegheny County, the better the district, a lot of times, the higher the taxes. This may give you some ideas... Allegheny County Treasurer

There are plenty of nice places to live with children. It really depends on what you're looking for. There's new suburban homes, old suburban homes, homes in the middle of nowhere, city neighborhood homes, condos, etc.

Lastly, it is important to know that teaching jobs are harder to come by up here than in the South. The Pittsburgh area has a lot of colleges producing teachers and currently not enough jobs to offer. A lot of people say it will change soon when the baby boomers retire but they're not retiring as predicted because our country is sorta a mess right now.

But we certainly would love to have you and definitely would like to hear more from you about any questions you might have and more specifically what kind of area you're interested in living in.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:46 PM

89 posts, read 137,818 times
I'm a Pittsburgh-area resident who is currently selling all my possessions and moving elsewhere -- anywhere I can find a job. I'm not a teacher, but I am a college-educated professional...and the job market here is a JOKE.

A few weeks ago I met a woman in the Pittsburgh area -- a teacher -- who was selling all her possessions and moving to Austin. She indicated that there was a considerable need for teachers in Austin. Since you're used to the heat, you might do well to look at the Texas capital for work.

In closing, I love my hometown of Pittsburgh, but when the national economy is in dire straits, Pittsburgh gets slammed doubly hard. Just sayin'.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:57 AM

2,197 posts, read 3,870,902 times
I've heard the Virginia market has been needing teachers for years now. A friend of mine, and a cousin, both moved to the Winchester, VA area. They were able to find jobs teaching very easily, but they don't get paid very well.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:50 AM

16,650 posts, read 15,638,179 times
Both VA and MD school systems in general need teachers in Math, Science, Foreign Language and Special Ed. Not so much in the other areas. Starting pay is comparable to much of PA but the cost of living, especially housing, is much higher here. Property taxes vary a bit but I pay about the same as my mother in PA did in PA for a house assessed about 7 times higher than hers was. Where I live the median house price is about $300K, some counties are much higher, some are a bit lower. MD and VA are both "at will" employment states. The teacher's unions as such don't exist, they are called associations, and public employees, including teachers, do not have the right to strike.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:00 AM

2,197 posts, read 3,870,902 times
Teacher's unions are very strong here in PA and have a lot of political clout.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:28 AM

16,650 posts, read 15,638,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
Teacher's unions are very strong here in PA and have a lot of political clout.
Teacher's Associations have very little clout in either MD or VA. In fact the MD state association came out in support of slot machines, even though most members oppose them, because the Association was flat out told that there would be no raises for teachers for the forseeable future if slots weren't endorsed by the Association. I belong to a local that was offered a 5% raise/year for a three year contract, the negotiating team turned it down and then settled for 2%-1%-1%. Also, my first paycheck from the school system bounced, this was back in 1984.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:06 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,568,035 times
Depending on which municipality you live, a $200,000 - $300,000 house's taxes could be $3 - $6 thousand/year, and insurance well under $1,000/year. No hurricanes.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:38 PM

3,134 posts, read 5,648,324 times
You've got to figure 3% to 4% real estate taxes if you live in a decent school district in the suburbs.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:08 PM

18 posts, read 29,435 times
What is a descent school district in the suburbs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh