Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 05:51 AM

85 posts, read 373,511 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My husband and I (after 14 long years of trying to do so) are finally relocating back to Pittsburgh and we are thrilled! DH's new job is in Greentree and he has already started there and is living with my sister and her family in Cranberry while the kids and I are waiting for our house to sell in Ohio. The top three places we are considering moving to are Cranberry (Seneca Valley schools), Franklin Park (North Allegheny schools) and Sewickley (Quaker Valley schools). School district is important to us as we have two children.

Here are my concerns of each of these areas:

Cranberry/Seneca Valley schools: too far of a commute for hubby's drive to Greentree (he is driving it daily now and it's 40 minutes one way, which I realize is not that bad for living near a big city, but obviously we could choose to live closer to his work), too suburban, not sure about school quality (issues I've heard about are overcrowding and frequent drug checks).

Franklin Park/North Allegheny schools: NA is a huge district and my kids may not be able to find their niche, especially as newcomers.

Sewickley/Quaker Valley schools: My main concern here would be the "snob factor" which I've heard and read about. I don't want my kids to have to deal with that in terms of designer clothes and such. We do love the smaller setting of that area though, in town and the school situation.

Any and all input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 10:07 AM

85 posts, read 335,478 times
Have you considered any schools is the South Hills that would be closer to your husband's job? Mt Lebanon, South Fayette, Upper St Clair are top school districts.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfer View Post
Have you considered any schools is the South Hills that would be closer to your husband's job? Mt Lebanon, South Fayette, Upper St Clair are top school districts.
Yes, we considered the south hills too but like the feel of the north hills and Sewickley better. Plus the south hills puts us that much further from our family in Cranberry, which is the only family we have in Pittsburgh.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:46 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,167 times
I think if your only scare of Quaker Valley is the "snob factor" you should reconsider that. There are going to be snobs in any of the 3 districts you've selected because those are all 3 hot areas of Pittsburgh right now and a lot of wealthy people reside in all 3.

As for quality of school district...they're all good...but North Allegheny and Quaker Valley are some of the "best" in PA, and Seneca Valley is just "good".

Old 10-08-2008, 01:03 PM

30 posts, read 113,093 times
I would move to Mt. Lebanon personally. However out of the 3 you chose, I'd send my kids to NA.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:56 PM

85 posts, read 335,478 times
Ahh, I see. Well, I think North Allegheny is just too big. Seneca Valley is not up there in ratings. I don't know anything about Quaker Valley but agree that you will have snobs everywhere. Just one more suggestion: Hampton. Another top district and in the North.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
I think if your only scare of Quaker Valley is the "snob factor" you should reconsider that. There are going to be snobs in any of the 3 districts you've selected because those are all 3 hot areas of Pittsburgh right now and a lot of wealthy people reside in all 3.

As for quality of school district...they're all good...but North Allegheny and Quaker Valley are some of the "best" in PA, and Seneca Valley is just "good".
Yes, I realize all those areas have some wealth, but I thought Sewickley in particular has a lot of concentrated wealth and millionnaire types, which is why I wondered about the snob factor specifically at Quaker Valley schools. Maybe a lot of those folks send their kids to private schools like Sewickley Academy, though...

Basically we're just looking for a safe, family friendly neighborhood with a really good school district, that isn't too far from Greentree (hubby's job) or Cranberry (where our extended family is). Price range up to $250,000 or so for a home is what we're looking for. (And I realize that won't buy us much in terms of a house in Quaker Valley school district, but we're willing to compromise on the house to get the small town feel and great public schools.)

Old 10-08-2008, 03:44 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,540,417 times
The Quaker Valley SD is comprised of: Bell Acres, Edgeworth, Glenfield, Haysville, Leetsdale, Osborne, Sewickley, Sewickley Heights and Sewickley Hills Boroughs; Aleppo and Leet Townships.

There are a ton of very affordable homes in those areas.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 6,550 times
I am a student that goes to Quaker Valley and it really is an AMAZING school district. This school is in the top 3% of public high schools in America from NEWSWEEK! Yes there are snobs but like everyone said there are snobs everywhere you go! Quaker Valley gives their high school students their own apple laptops. Because of the fact that this is a small school, it helps to know that the teachers are wonderful and take the time to get to know their students! Quaker Valley is difficult compared to nearby schools but colleges will love that. I went to a college fair recently and Pitt University loved the fact that I went to QV. That right there says a lot! =)

Old 03-06-2009, 05:50 PM

353 posts, read 1,728,600 times
Have you considered Pine-Richland, it is one of the top school districts in PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh