U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 04:16 PM

3,012 posts, read 2,909,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepybeth View Post
Are you talking about Jose and Tony's in Dormont? If so, they're still there.
Thanks sleepybeth... I'm not so sure it's Dormont there or not, but it's on the boarder of Dormont and Lebo.. And it sure is nice to know it's still there. I can't tell you HOW MANY times we ate there from my youth days until I left town as an adult. I simply just love Jose and Tony's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 06:17 PM

267 posts, read 536,734 times
I live outside of Charleston, SC now but I lived in the 'burgh forever before that. I love Jose and Tony's, and Mexico City downtown rocks as well. Mad Mex was one of our faves, but you did have to pay for the chips and salsa.

Where I live now has a HUGE Hispanic population, and there's a place we go to in town here that has free chips and salsa, 32 oz beers for under $3, and everyone that works there is Hispanic, hardworking, and very hospitable. From what I've seen, it seems as though the truly authentic (read: Hispanic owned) restaurants offer free chips and salsa, and Pittsburgh just really doesn't have a lot of Latinos, period.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:40 PM

8,499 posts, read 7,728,046 times
Ah, Jose and Tony's, a blast from the past. First taste of Mexican food I ever had. A beef burrito and 3 alarm chili, not the best combo. I haven't been there in over 15 years, but back in the day, the 80's, that was the place we all went on a Wednesday night. Not the best tasting food, but right for the price.

No one's mentioned The Franklin Inn on Rochester road in the North Hills. Great margaritas, all hand made, no pouring them out of a machine. And yes, FREE unlimited chips & salsa. Even at the bar!

Old 10-11-2008, 06:05 PM

113 posts, read 229,912 times
So we tried El Campesino last night. It was pretty much exactly what I was looking for! The price was a bit higher than we're used to, but not too bad. The cheese dip was the only thing that was a lot more- it was double what we used to pay. Anywho- thanks everyone for all the advice!! It was great and I got to have Mexican after 2.5 months without! THANKS!

Old 10-11-2008, 09:46 PM

68 posts, read 195,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut33 View Post
So we tried El Campesino last night. It was pretty much exactly what I was looking for! The price was a bit higher than we're used to, but not too bad. The cheese dip was the only thing that was a lot more- it was double what we used to pay. Anywho- thanks everyone for all the advice!! It was great and I got to have Mexican after 2.5 months without! THANKS!
Which one do you like better, regardless of price? El Campesino or La Fiesta? I personally like La Fiesta better. For one, their salsa is better. You complained about La Fiesta's pricing, which is actually cheaper if you go there late. Obviously the pricing is more geared towards college students (in Oakland.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:32 PM

Chip alert!

Ate at the McKnight Mad Mex yesterday, went straight to the table, no bar. The waitress did not offer any chips/salsa, not that we wanted any. My guess is they have instituted a don't ask, don't get policy with chips.

Food was great as were the margaritas, but the place was fairly empty. I gotta think with the drink tax, lousy economy, and the no smoking policy, restaurants are taking a big hit.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 9 days ago)

70,023 posts, read 60,539,184 times
LOL! If the no-smoking law is statewide, how can it be hurting business? Where do people go? Ohio? W. Va? Those are all pretty far away for a Mexican dinner, IMO.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
LOL! If the no-smoking law is statewide, how can it be hurting business? Where do people go? Ohio? W. Va? Those are all pretty far away for a Mexican dinner, IMO.
I'm referring to the restaurant biz in general. I know I tend to eat out less to offset the price of gas and anything else shipped via truck.

There are bars that can still serve food if it only accounts for 20% of their income. Talking to way too many bartenders they state that some of the smokers leave quickly after eating instead of spending more time and money at the bar.

Like I said, the restaurant biz got hit hard this year.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:17 PM

859 posts, read 1,394,143 times
Ohio is smoke free so they're def not going there. People just aren't spending and then the media hypes up the smoking ban and drink tax and so it makes it even worse and gives people something else to blame instead of the idiots that ran our country into the ground the last 8 years.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:40 PM

68 posts, read 195,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
Chip alert!

Ate at the McKnight Mad Mex yesterday, went straight to the table, no bar. The waitress did not offer any chips/salsa, not that we wanted any. My guess is they have instituted a don't ask, don't get policy with chips.

Food was great as were the margaritas, but the place was fairly empty. I gotta think with the drink tax, lousy economy, and the no smoking policy, restaurants are taking a big hit.
I got news for you my friend. Mad Mex charges $2.75 for "seemingly endless" chips and salsa. One price of admission for endless supply. Look it up, it's on the menu. They even have the audacity of raising the price by 75 cents from the original name's price.

Quote:
Our freshly made dips and salsas come with a
seemingly endless supply of locally-made white,
red, yellow and blue corn tortilla chips for your
dipping cornvenience.

Two dollar CHIPS & SALSA | $2.75
Your choice of our five freshly made
salsas paired with our multi-colored
corn chips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh