Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 05:22 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
But we have more Super Bowl wins n'at.
Every team that's won the superbowl does

Old 03-06-2014, 05:32 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
No argument from me either.

I've always had a great time when visiting there.

But your airport STINKS!!!
Indeed it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Every team that's won the superbowl does
I almost wish I cared about organized sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
The two are not comparable. It's like comparing Atlanta to Altoona
While I usually make it a point not to respond to trolls, I'll make an exception to point out that this is definitely not true. Make no mistake about it; Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are different cities built on different scales, and have differing cultures to go along with it. Nonetheless, there are quite a few subtle similarities that go hand in hand with the striking differences. To quote myself (for the umpteenth time):

Quote:
Pittsburgh's freestanding homes look fairly different from Philadelphia's but the rows in the Central Northside, Southside, and a few other neighborhoods are almost identical to rows you'd find in Fairmount or South Philly.

Pittsburghers are yinzers and not yousers, but long sandwiches are still hoagies, eggs over medium are dippy, and TastyKakes abound in convenience stores.

Residents of both cities feel shafted by the governor at the expense of the rest of the state.

The roads are awful and every season is construction season.

Parking chairs abound in the outer city neighborhoods.

While Philly is a bit more diverse, both cities are still very much "black and white" compared to other metro areas. Pittsburgh has a bit more in the "random Slav" department and Philly has a lot more Puerto Ricans and Asians, but they're both, to this day, strong white ethnic cities, with not only characteristically German, Irish, and Italian, but Russian, Ukrainian, and Polish neighborhoods as well.

Both rose and fell as manufacturing hubs, only to later reemerge as top cities for education and healthcare. University City is a larger, and at once both grittier and more upscale Oakland.

And many more.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:39 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Indeed it does.

I almost wish I cared about organized sports.

While I usually make it a point not to respond to trolls, I'll make an exception to point out that this is definitely not true. Make no mistake about it; Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are different cities built on different scales, and have differing cultures to go along with it. Nonetheless, there are quite a few subtle similarities that go hand in hand with the striking differences. To quote myself (for the umpteenth time):
You think University City is larger than Oakland? I agree with all your points except that one. Oakland is the third largest CBD in the state after Center City and the Golden Triangle.

City of Pittsburgh Council District 6*·*About City of Pittsburgh Council District 6

Old 03-06-2014, 05:50 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I'd say Philly is a top 5-7 U.S. city
And falling, cities like Austin, Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, Seattle, etc. are the new wave of top cities. Mostly southern cities. Pittsburgh probably needs to focus on QoL and be more like Portland Ore. to be able to compete.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:53 PM

419 posts, read 551,839 times
I think Pittsburgh needs to drain the swamp so to speak and start over with younger people who have fresh and innovative ideas. So much deadweight here taking up space and inhibiting growth and prosperity.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:04 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
You think University City is larger than Oakland? I agree with all your points except that one. Oakland is the third largest CBD in the state after Center City and the Golden Triangle.

City of Pittsburgh Council District 6*·*About City of Pittsburgh Council District 6
IIRC, the difference in the number of jobs between the two is under 1,000. I meant "geographically larger" anyway. Oakland doesn't really have a true equivalent of a Baltimore Avenue. Craig Street is sort of like a slightly more polished mini-version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
And falling, cities like Austin, Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, Seattle, etc. are the new wave of top cities. Mostly southern cities. Pittsburgh probably needs to focus on QoL and be more like Portland Ore. to be able to compete.
It definitely fell, but once again, it rises. Infrastructurally speaking, I forecast that sprawl-ridden cities Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, and Phoenix are in for an extremely rude awakening--Austin too, to some extent, although AFAIK, the hipster element is driving the city toward smarter growth. Philly certainly has its share of sprawl, but its true urban core, plus quite a few of the inner suburbs (along with scattered boroughs toward the middle/outer rihgs) are well-situated for re-urbanization.

I also think Seattle is too small to compete on the same kind of level, though I'd definitely agree that Seattle is doing a lot better per capita (for a variety of reasons that need not be discussed here).

Old 03-06-2014, 06:05 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
I think Pittsburgh needs to drain the swamp so to speak and start over with younger people who have fresh and innovative ideas. So much deadweight here taking up space and inhibiting growth and prosperity.

OK, you are right. What are you doing to achieve that goal?

Old 03-06-2014, 06:10 PM

419 posts, read 551,839 times
Quote:
OK, you are right. What are you doing to achieve that goal?
Rioting outside city-county building. Bulldozing the Hill District. Building a wall and separating Greenfield from the rest of the city. March on Grant Street

Old 03-06-2014, 06:16 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,530 times
Quote:
Rioting outside city-county building. Bulldozing the Hill District. Building a wall and separating Greenfield from the rest of the city. March on Grant Street
Peduto went to dc to lobby hard for the burgh. He said anything "new" they should try here. Isnt the pentagon developing a new atomic bomb for testing? Copanut should know. He seems like an ex military guy.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:20 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
Peduto went to dc to lobby hard for the burgh. He said anything "new" they should try here. Isnt the pentagon developing a new atomic bomb for testing? Copanut should know. He seems like an ex military guy.

Nah, you wussies wouldn't know about history, but back in the day there was a draft. If you went to college, you had a deferment. After you graduated you got a letter from Uncle Sam. I was lucky, they started the lottery my freshman year, #250. Never got called. And by the time I graduated, President Nixon ended the draft.

I love that guy!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh