U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-21-2008, 09:03 AM

18 posts, read 30,094 times

Advertisements

I'm from Miami planning on leaving in 2 years. How bad are your winters, and how long are they.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 09:24 AM

913 posts, read 1,579,914 times
Pittsburgh weather?

jan-feb-march are usually the worst
cold and snow

maybe some cold and snow in december

the last few winters have not been that bad
not like when my parents were kids and there was 20 feet of snow and they had to walk uphill both ways.
ha ha ha

and way
maybe a few inches of snow a few times and a few weeks of 20 degrees or less

Old 10-21-2008, 10:56 AM

860 posts, read 1,401,280 times
I think also the biggest complaint (and difference) is that it's not sunny as often here in the Winter as other cities. I don't tend to notice and it doesn't bother me but it does bother others (as you'll read in that previous thread).

Old 10-21-2008, 10:58 AM

2,163 posts, read 2,700,123 times
Winters can be cold, but not overly snowy. As the other poster said, the coldest months are January and February. And there are always unseasonably warm days within those months. I think the region gets a total of about 40 inches of snow a year, so broken down throughout the season, a good snowfall is usally 4 - 6 inches. The last good blizzard was 1993, when we received over 20 inches of snow in a couple days. I love the four seasons, and winter is made for fireplaces, good books, museums, the conservatory, the library, and coffee shops. Spring arrives late March/early April with the crocuses budding.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:58 PM

70,150 posts, read 60,913,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrian12 View Post
Pittsburgh weather?

jan-feb-march are usually the worst
cold and snow

maybe some cold and snow in december

the last few winters have not been that bad
not like when my parents were kids and there was 20 feet of snow and they had to walk uphill both ways.
ha ha ha

and way
maybe a few inches of snow a few times and a few weeks of 20 degrees or less
Yeah, I did that, LOL! I don't think the Pittsburgh winters are particularly cold OR snowy, but they are certainly gray! Coming from Miami, as the OP does, it may seem cold.

Last edited by Katiana; 10-21-2008 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-21-2008, 02:20 PM

8,528 posts, read 7,791,540 times
Not much snow anymore, at least not what it was like in the 60's and 70's. But prepare yourself for gun-metal gray in Jan-Feb. That's when even the most dedicated Pgher's get depressed.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:07 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,509,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
Not much snow anymore, at least not what it was like in the 60's and 70's. But prepare yourself for gun-metal gray in Jan-Feb. That's when even the most dedicated Pgher's get depressed.
"...the sky won't snow and the sun won't shine. It's hard to tell the night time from the day..."

Old 10-21-2008, 03:27 PM

13,244 posts, read 10,949,808 times
Quote:
I don't think the Pittsburgh winters are particularly cold OR snowy,
You're right, it's not consistantly cold or snow in Pittsburgh. We get some really cold days, and some snowy days, but they're interspersed with more reasonable winter weather. For someone from Florida, the cloudiness will probably get to you.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:08 PM

2,197 posts, read 3,964,349 times
I love in the winter time though, when we get the rare sunny day, and it just glistens off the snow on the ground. It's almost blinding. Wear sunglasses on those days, or you will get what is referred to as snow blindness. It makes it very difficult to see once you get back indoors, and everything has a blue-ish tint to it.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:09 PM

3,134 posts, read 5,825,556 times
Every individual sees winter here in a different way. Some exagerrate and say it lasts nine months, then we have seven months of summer with little inbetween. I think the most winter-like months are December, January and February. Birds start to return in March and hints of Spring are all around.

It's not like you're always surrounded in a cloud of smoke. Most days that people are calling gray are still quite bright. Coming from south Florida I think you'll welcome the changes this region has to offer. The landscapes are constantly changing as you drive anywhere. It's different but could be a nice change for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh