Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 10:18 AM

60 posts, read 242,688 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I live in Wexford (North Allegheny), and I was wondering what a roof repair would cost for a 2300sq./ft home (2 story). Any ideas, ballpark figures,stories, and recommended contractors would be appreciated.

Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 12:54 PM

67 posts, read 233,582 times
My parents live in McCandless and have used RickJohn, and have been pretty pleased with them. They aren't cheap, but they seem to do good work.

We just got an estimate from Coffey Contracting for roof work on a house we're buying, and I've been very impressed by them so far. Again, not cheap, but they're extremely professional and responsive. They seem to mostly/only do slate roofs, though.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:56 PM

JCS, Any ballpark figures? Thank you.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:04 PM

The work we're having Coffey do is very extensive (this roof has not been maintained in years) and the total is about $14,000. It's on a very steep, big slate roof, which jacks up the cost. That total includes repairs to the roof, shingles, flashings, and valleys. Let's see here--the actual roof repairs (replacing about 45 slates) come to approximately $3500.

Oh, and I just remembered--we had RickJohn replace a leaking flashing on the addition roof of our current house several years ago for about $1000. It looks very good and we've had no problem since. I'll ask my mom the next time I talk to her what she paid RickJohn for her work and exactly what was done, and post again.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:30 PM

Thank you! Did the $14k tag include any new plywood?

Old 10-30-2008, 06:33 PM

I just talked to my mom and she said she paid RickJohn about $2k for patching some leaks.

And there is some wood replacement on our roof, but I'm not sure about the specifics. There's some wood that needs to be replaced under some rotting shingles (like I said, it hasn't been maintained in a very long time), but I don't know what the details are of how much wood and how that figures into the cost.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:25 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
I second getting multiple estimates. I had to replace my roof last summer and got about 5 estimates. The highest estimate was actually double the lowest, so it's worth shopping around.
Unsure why I would have been deleted? I didn't give anyone's name for roofing since I really don't have anyone that I feel is very good. My suggestion in my post was, get several estimates. The difference in prices may be alarming!

If you have a standard roof with not tons of angles and pitches, like you would see on lots of ranches, then any dummy can probably do a good job. If you have a roof that has lots of pitch and a bunch of angles going on, then you may want to be more careful with who you choose. If you are going with a standard asphalt shingle, really it is so easy for any roofer.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:37 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
Huh. Your post was there when I posted, and I was seconding you. I didn't see any company named in your post either.
ha, ha I just realized this thread was from '08. I fell for it.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:24 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,725,665 times
Your posts were deleted because you were responding to a 2008 thread that was brought back to life by some drive by poster that only left an ad here. I deleted them thinking we don't really need this thread necromancy, but I can bring them back since apparently this ain't a completely dead topic
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: