Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 12:24 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh Crime Map - Showing Crime in Pittsburgh, PA - Crime Statistics - Crime Alerts - Crime Stops Here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 08:03 AM

3 posts, read 8,601 times
Hey I live in WIlkinsburg and there are parts of Wilkinsburg that are downright suburban. Everyone talks about how great Shadyside is but more street crimes ocur in Shadyside than Wilkinsburg. I get a little tired of people listing us in the top 3 worse places to live in the city. Additionally, you will notice that anyplace that has a high number of minority residents is going to be tacked on. Being poor is different than being a criminal. There is good and bad in every neighborhood.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:12 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkel View Post
Hey I live in WIlkinsburg and there are parts of Wilkinsburg that are downright suburban. Everyone talks about how great Shadyside is but more street crimes ocur in Shadyside than Wilkinsburg. I get a little tired of people listing us in the top 3 worse places to live in the city. Additionally, you will notice that anyplace that has a high number of minority residents is going to be tacked on. Being poor is different than being a criminal. There is good and bad in every neighborhood.
South Wilkinsburg is very beautiful. I am thinking of moving over there, or in edgewood. I see this is your first post. Don't get frustrated with city-data.com posters. 50% are very ignorant to everything they post it seems. Just watch, and you will see.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:10 AM

374 posts, read 1,285,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
South Wilkinsburg is very beautiful. I am thinking of moving over there, or in edgewood. I see this is your first post. Don't get frustrated with city-data.com posters. 50% are very ignorant to everything they post it seems. Just watch, and you will see.

It took me a little to catch on to this also. To the op. I've lived in or have relatives in all the so called bad neighborhoods with the exception or Clairton and the North Side. I could say the places to stay away from would be varies parts of the N. Side and The Hill District. Although Race st. is a hot spot in HomeWood its pretty quiet in the daytime. I wouldn't really suggest walking around there late night but thats anywhere.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:21 AM

55 posts, read 189,944 times
Stay away from Wexford, Robinson Township, Ross Township, Cranberry, and Peters Township. The SUV-driving, cell phone-talking soccer moms are dangerous.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:34 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Stay away from Wexford, Robinson Township, Ross Township, Cranberry, and Peters Township. The SUV-driving, cell phone-talking soccer moms are dangerous.
Wexford and Cranberry are the best sections of "Pittsburgh". They are the new aged areas. Places where you don't need to walk and architecture aesthetic doesn't matter.

BTW, When you go post on SSP go tell the moderator shiro that he is a nazi POS.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:40 AM

17 posts, read 49,570 times
Default Firstly, Thank You PeterRabbit! for the crime mapping link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Yes, I agree 100%. We have that problem here in our super-suburbia. All these people (men & women) drive their SUVs like a sportscar with a phone stuck to their ear and their middle finger waiting in the wings bcs where they're going and what they're doing is far more important and superior to any one else's safety.

I have eliminated the Cranberry Twsp because of the distance to the city. It looked like a nice suburb (from on-line research). There are many transplants here from that area and most of them are fond of Cranberry and Gibsonia. Gibsonia, however, is in Alleghany County which looks like 'greedy-insanity' has become the burden of property tax payers. Our plans are on hold until Spring so I will begin the search again then.

Relocating is a lot of work and these forums are a blessing. We've lived in 6 states and have combed more neighborhoods than an average RE agent; really.

I think close to perfect parameters for me would look like this: a parish that is not like a Mega-Church (we have over 8k families), schools where the teachers are approachable and don't treat their students like criminals (mutual respect is harder & harder every yr no matter how good test scores are), clean grocery stores, a little neighborhood privacy (not 1/4 acre lots), no random violent crime, and fresh air!

Someone will probably read this and think it is laughable. I don't think that is a lot to ask for on living standards; pretty much basic. All the things that we "do" as a family we eventually find. It is all about coming home to that corner of happiness that is not about work or school or community drama.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:38 AM

803 posts, read 2,970,234 times
You can add Mount Oliver to the ever-growing list of places to avoid too, now......

Old 12-18-2008, 11:46 AM

110 posts, read 491,134 times
Homewood for sure.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:57 PM

374 posts, read 1,285,245 times
add fox chapel/apinwall to that list also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh