U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-04-2008, 06:32 AM

7 posts, read 30,332 times
Talking Pittsburgh Rush Hour Traffic Trends

I live on the east side of Pittsburgh but I have this new job opportunity on the west side of Pittsburgh. It's a good job opportunity but I am stuck in my current residence for a year because we just moved there and signed a lease and also we don't want to move right now.

So, the way I went to the interview was to go through the city. It took 50 minutes without any holdup at the tunnels. I pretty much went straight through because it was around 1:00 and there wasn't any traffic. I'm worried as to how long my trip will be during rush hour.

Are there any web sites or anything that has typical traffic patterns and delays into and out of the city during rush hour? How much time should I tack onto my commute to allow for the usual tie up at the tunnels.

Drive to work.
Get onto 376W at Wilkinsburg and hit Squirrel Hill tunnels @ 6:30 or 7:00

Drive home:
Drive into the Fort Pitt tunnels @ 5:00

I could possibly get to the Squirrel Hill tunnels as early as 6:00 if I go in early with flex time if that would help at all. That would get me to the Fort Pitt tunnels early as well..around 4:00.

I tried to avoid the city and go a back way home from the interview during rush hour to try it out and it took an hour and a half to get home. Not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 07:14 AM

2,079 posts, read 2,516,398 times
Three of the local TV stations have traffic information and maps on their websites. Some have traffic cams as well. They are KDKA, WTAE and WPXI. The PennDOT website also has a lot of traffic cams. Unfortunately, you're hitting the bridges and tunnels at peak times both ways. It used to be (20 years ago) that the backups were inbound toward the city only, but with all the suburban office clumps now there are backups in both directions during rush hours.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:33 AM

7 posts, read 30,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Three of the local TV stations have traffic information and maps on their websites. Some have traffic cams as well. They are KDKA, WTAE and WPXI. The PennDOT website also has a lot of traffic cams. Unfortunately, you're hitting the bridges and tunnels at peak times both ways. It used to be (20 years ago) that the backups were inbound toward the city only, but with all the suburban office clumps now there are backups in both directions during rush hours.

That's right. I don't know why I didn't think of the news websites. I didn't think of the webcams too. I'll have to keep an eye on them for the next couple weeks to see how early it starts to back up. I would like to try and get through the tunnels before the backup starts but I'm not sure if that will be possible. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:33 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,980,572 times
Traffic.com can be helpful, too: Pittsburgh Traffic Report | Traffic Information | Road Conditions PA:: Traffic.com

Old 11-04-2008, 08:44 AM

485 posts, read 891,057 times
Good traffic cam site ... just click a camera: PennDOT District 11

Old 11-04-2008, 08:57 AM

4,633 posts, read 4,489,177 times
I would also check out using PAT, its possbile you could park in Wilkinsburg or the Suburbs and take something using the Busway downtown and connect to the West Busway out to where your going.

Just a suggestion - I know people in Da'burg loves their cars though

Old 11-04-2008, 09:02 AM

2,901 posts, read 2,727,281 times
What about the Belt System? I believe it's all still intact. These are snaking routes around the city connected by a signed route in Colors. Blue Belt, Green Belt... I'd look in to it for any alternative routes that may be available to you for part of your trip.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:24 PM

35,926 posts, read 55,158,806 times
I did the commute from only a few blocks from Wilkinsburg (Point Breeze to be specific) to Carnegie for just over a year. You might consider going around the SQHill tunnel by taking Penn Avenue through Wilkinsburg, cut south on Braddock, then west on Forbes, south on Shady, west on Forward, then back on the parkway. It sounds convoluted (and it is) but when the tunnel backup is bad, it actually is a touch quicker. Or at least it was -- I don't know what rush hour traffic through SQHill/Frick Park area is like these days. I actually found the outbound Fort Pitt tunnel backup in the morning to not be too bad at all, at least when there was no construction. The backup typically started just past the Smithfield Street bridge and only added maybe 5 to 7 minutes to my commute.

Unfortunately, the inbound Fort Pitt tunnel backup invariably sucked hard and there was just no way to get around it. Sometimes I'd just take Noblestown all the way down through the West End, or get off at Greentree Road and do the same thing, then cross over to the North side on the West End bridge, then back over to Parkway East on the Fort Duquesne bridge. Mind you, I didn't do this to save time -- the most I ever figured it saved me was 5 minutes tops -- I did it because it was less stressful to at least be driving and moving instead of inching along at 4 miles an hour.

Last edited by Drover; 11-04-2008 at 01:32 PM..

Old 11-04-2008, 08:13 PM

52 posts, read 127,441 times
I live in the east (Lawrenceville) and work in the west. I drive during rush hour and it usually takes me only 20 minutes. My secret is that I use Penn Ave. through the Strip and then take the 10th St. Bypass (runs along the river by the Convention Center) and go through the Fort Pitt Tunnel to the Parkway West. If you live in Wilkinsburg, would it be possible for you to also take this Penn Ave. route, thereby avoiding the major highways?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh