Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 03:04 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,478,456 times

Advertisements

If you live in Sharpsburg, I think you want to live closer to the Highland Park Bridge than the 62nd Street Bridge. I guess if you compare it to Aspinwall it is pretty rough but it is nice compared to Lawrencville in my opinion. Another option would be Blawnox, on the hill not by the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 04:32 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,203,863 times
I have lived in Sharpsburg for over five years. I grew up in adjacent O'hara Twp. Sharpsburg is not what it used to be. I used to be down here frequently as kid and teenager. There used to be a nice business district on Main Street, with Wagner's Shoe Store, Dom's Market, Tarasi's Menswear, and other nice places. Now there is a Family Dollar, a St. Vincent Depaul Thrift store and seven bars in a small area. There is a lot of drugs in the lower part of Sharpsburg, from the 62nd Street Bridge to the Chief Guyasuta statue near 11th and Main. Where there are drugs, there is thievery. Sharpsburg has made the news lately about the drug problem. There is the Korbe case. He had two businesses in Sharpsburg, and a few other major drug busts. As the above poster noted, live closer to the Highland Park bridge. You will be further away from the bars, where the drug activity occurs. I would sau anything east of 16th Street up to 23rd street, be it Main, Middle, Cecil, Chapman, or whatever. There are more homeowners than rentals in this area. The lower part of Sharpsburg has more people renting, many of whom are part of the bad element. It is a convenient place to live. The 91A runs through every fifteen minutes weekdays, and the 1A every forty-five minutes. These buses can take you downtown or to the Waterworks for shopping. Anything else you want to know, just send me a message.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:04 PM

1 posts, read 6,680 times
I have lived in Sharpsburg for the past 11 years. I have two children in the high school. The drugs are completely all over the area. My child was first approached by an older kid who asked if they wanted to get high while walking down the street. My child was 11 years old. Friends or kids they know have experimented with alcohol, weed, acid, as well as the hard core drugs as young as 13. I am shocked every time they tell me what goes on in the surrounding streets. The kids from Sharpsburg, as mentioned before are called "river rats". The school and administration have, in general, a bad taste in their mouth regarding these kids. Our car has been broken into, our home has been robbed and renters are coming in from all over and making the area worse than it has ever been. In the past year things have changed dramatically. We are a younger couple with college educations and find that we are regarded less than the other parents in the district. Nothing makes the news, it is all kept under wraps. An older gentlemen was robbed while walking down the street. There are serious fights happening right after the kids leave the school bus. What is worse is that the kids absorb the perceptions of the district and indeed become what everyone thought about them anyway. We have had kids on our street addicted to heroin and two deaths from overdose. There have been violent break ins, all drug related. Purchase a scanner, you will be surprised what goes on in the area. We have seen and heard everything and have had enough. We are leaving the area for good. My children will not be associated with, nor be destroyed by this town that has ruined so many kids lives. Sound dramatic? In the past year, 8 kids in the surrounding streets have dropped out of school. 5 kids have been pulled out of Fox Chapel to attend alternative schools. 18 cases were heard regarding underage drinking and possession. (I am sure there were plenty more, thats a count of the ones I have heard about, some repeat offenders though). A very good friend of ours told us that due to the diversity in the school district, more working families are finding the district does not meet the needs of their children. Sharpsburg has either 1 single working parent, or two. This leaves a lot of time the children are left at home by themselves. These parents are tired, hardworking people doing the best they can. It's the projects and the section 8 housing and the families moving in from Lawrenceville that have overtaken the town. My advice, do not subject your children. Although the town would benefit from good people moving in, I think you would be right back out again.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:07 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,433,746 times
Pgh_Mom_4,

You pretty much described the small town I grew up in out in the Eastern section of Allegheny county. This type of thing is happening all over the county due to the lack of good paying jobs. Losing the industrial/manufacturing base in this area has been devastating to once prosperous blue collar towns. Sad to see.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:20 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,601,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjd View Post
Sharpsburg sucks. I mean, it's not the worst neighborhood in the world...I would much rather live there than Penn Hills or Lincoln/Larimer
Sharpsburg is way poorer than Penn Hills...by almost 10k a year.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:58 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,094,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh_Mom_4 View Post
I have lived in Sharpsburg for the past 11 years. I have two children in the high school. The drugs are completely all over the area. My child was first approached by an older kid who asked if they wanted to get high while walking down the street. My child was 11 years old. Friends or kids they know have experimented with alcohol, weed, acid, as well as the hard core drugs as young as 13. I am shocked every time they tell me what goes on in the surrounding streets. The kids from Sharpsburg, as mentioned before are called "river rats". The school and administration have, in general, a bad taste in their mouth regarding these kids. Our car has been broken into, our home has been robbed and renters are coming in from all over and making the area worse than it has ever been. In the past year things have changed dramatically. We are a younger couple with college educations and find that we are regarded less than the other parents in the district. Nothing makes the news, it is all kept under wraps. An older gentlemen was robbed while walking down the street. There are serious fights happening right after the kids leave the school bus. What is worse is that the kids absorb the perceptions of the district and indeed become what everyone thought about them anyway. We have had kids on our street addicted to heroin and two deaths from overdose. There have been violent break ins, all drug related. Purchase a scanner, you will be surprised what goes on in the area. We have seen and heard everything and have had enough. We are leaving the area for good. My children will not be associated with, nor be destroyed by this town that has ruined so many kids lives. Sound dramatic? In the past year, 8 kids in the surrounding streets have dropped out of school. 5 kids have been pulled out of Fox Chapel to attend alternative schools. 18 cases were heard regarding underage drinking and possession. (I am sure there were plenty more, thats a count of the ones I have heard about, some repeat offenders though). A very good friend of ours told us that due to the diversity in the school district, more working families are finding the district does not meet the needs of their children. Sharpsburg has either 1 single working parent, or two. This leaves a lot of time the children are left at home by themselves. These parents are tired, hardworking people doing the best they can. It's the projects and the section 8 housing and the families moving in from Lawrenceville that have overtaken the town. My advice, do not subject your children. Although the town would benefit from good people moving in, I think you would be right back out again.
That sounds very right about Lawrenceville. As home prices and property values increase across the neighborhood(especially closer to the new hospital) I imagine renters are raising rents in the neighborhood which while good for us is bad for someone else. A lot of the people I know in Sharpsburg do say it is going down and with how some act there I'm not surpised at all by them being called river rats.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh_Mom_4 View Post
A very good friend of ours told us that due to the diversity in the school district, more working families are finding the district does not meet the needs of their children.
Diversity in sharpsburg???? Sharpsburg is the textbook white ghetto.

The world is funny..."to much diversity" makes working class families shudder, while at the same time to much working class (http://www.yourfoxchapel.com/herald/article/administrators-working-break-down-barriers - broken link) makes the rich kids shudder

Old 03-09-2009, 07:45 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,094,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
Diversity in sharpsburg???? Sharpsburg is the textbook white ghetto.

The world is funny..."to much diversity" makes working class families shudder, while at the same time to much working class (http://www.yourfoxchapel.com/herald/article/administrators-working-break-down-barriers - broken link) makes the rich kids shudder
Think the poster meant in the school district, not the borough. The town is vastly white working/lower class.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:50 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,620,287 times
Sharpsburg is part of ARTEZ (Allegheny River Towns Enterprise Zone). You might want to check out this group to get info on any redevelopment going on in the area.

From their website, ARTEZ - Allegheny River Towns Enterprise Zone
"ARTEZ, Inc. is an economic development agency serving the job creation and retention needs of seven municipalities on the north bank of the Allegheny River.

The communities participating are the boroughs of Millvale, Etna, Sharpsburg, Aspinwall, and Blawnox together with the townships of O’Hara and Shaler. The Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development and Allegheny County are providing seed funding for the agency and its Enterprise Zone."

Old 03-09-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Think the poster meant in the school district, not the borough. The town is vastly white working/lower class.
The school district is less diverse than Sharpsburg... and Sharpsburg isn't diverse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh