U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 11-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Status: "Snow is coming for Christmas!" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
70,137 posts, read 60,884,914 times
Reputation: 20235

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The fact that so much is closed Sunday nights (and most of the theaters are dark... meaning no shows...) might have something to do with that too!
I think she means the ones that are open!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2008, 05:30 PM
 
52 posts, read 133,036 times
Reputation: 32
Steeler-mania doesn't seem to affect the mid or upper crust of society (that is, the people who know that the plural of you is you, not yinz). I work in an intellectual field and absolutely nobody discusses football. Generally, the local yokel working class folks are the ones guzzling beers on Sunday and wearing their jerseys in anticipation of the game by, say, Tuesday. Sure, others like the pigskin too, but realize there are other pursuits out there that don't involve the black 'n gold.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2008, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
1,758 posts, read 2,447,146 times
Reputation: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_in_'sylvania View Post
Steeler-mania doesn't seem to affect the mid or upper crust of society (that is, the people who know that the plural of you is you, not yinz). I work in an intellectual field and absolutely nobody discusses football. Generally, the local yokel working class folks are the ones guzzling beers on Sunday and wearing their jerseys in anticipation of the game by, say, Tuesday. Sure, others like the pigskin too, but realize there are other pursuits out there that don't involve the black 'n gold.

Amen Dana. That is a lot of what I was trying to convey. It is just too much sometimes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Status: "Snow is coming for Christmas!" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
70,137 posts, read 60,884,914 times
Reputation: 20235
As I said, it was a doctor (psychiatrist, mind you) who had that conversation with me about Coors Field. Granted, that's baseball, but it does show the obsession affects all strata of society.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Status: ".Thread-Crapper!!!" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Great White North Hills
8,526 posts, read 7,786,385 times
Reputation: 4749
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
Until more of the citizens of this a city become more diverse, and more polished, we cannot expect to become a real player on a national level.
.
What the heck would someone living in Sharpsburg know about being more polished?

I think this area was more polished back in the 60's and 70's when sports meant very little and JOBS were plentiful. Back when we were the #9 TV-Radio market and were 2nd in the number of Fortune 500 companies that were headquartered here. Pittsburgh was a "player" then.

Amazing how the rise of the Steelers in mid-70's coincided with the decline of the steel industry and started the population decline in this area.

Nothing worse than seeing a middle-aged man dressed head to toe in Steeler regalia stumbling down the stairs at a game. Ever been to a game lately? Drunks, drunks, and more drunks.

Anyone have an extra ticket???
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2008, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
1,758 posts, read 2,447,146 times
Reputation: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
What the heck would someone living in Sharpsburg know about being more polished?

I think this area was more polished back in the 60's and 70's when sports meant very little and JOBS were plentiful. Back when we were the #9 TV-Radio market and were 2nd in the number of Fortune 500 companies that were headquartered here. Pittsburgh was a "player" then.

Amazing how the rise of the Steelers in mid-70's coincided with the decline of the steel industry and started the population decline in this area.

Nothing worse than seeing a middle-aged man dressed head to toe in Steeler regalia stumbling down the stairs at a game. Ever been to a game lately? Drunks, drunks, and more drunks.

Anyone have an extra ticket???

That first line was a cheapshot COPANUT. I resent the fact that you would diss me when you know nothing about me. I'll assume it was not personal and just tongue in cheek. For the record, I grew up in O'hara Twp., attended Fox Chapel High School, and have a college degree. I was the one who started this thread. Who the hell are you?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Status: ".Thread-Crapper!!!" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Great White North Hills
8,526 posts, read 7,786,385 times
Reputation: 4749
Sheesh, talk about thin skin. Why do you think I put the smiley after my comment? Message to self, never crack a joke on this forum.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2008, 11:13 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
1,758 posts, read 2,447,146 times
Reputation: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
Sheesh, talk about thin skin. Why do you think I put the smiley after my comment? Message to self, never crack a joke on this forum.

Sorry, I overlooked it. Consider it history.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2008, 03:44 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, USA
3,134 posts, read 5,823,654 times
Reputation: 1033
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_in_'sylvania View Post
Steeler-mania doesn't seem to affect the mid or upper crust of society (that is, the people who know that the plural of you is you, not yinz). I work in an intellectual field and absolutely nobody discusses football. Generally, the local yokel working class folks are the ones guzzling beers on Sunday and wearing their jerseys in anticipation of the game by, say, Tuesday. Sure, others like the pigskin too, but realize there are other pursuits out there that don't involve the black 'n gold.
Wimpy, sissy people don't count. There aren't enough of them to comprise even 1% of the population. Go to a country club on a fall or winter weekend and nearly every TV has football on it. Meanwhile your guys are pushing baby strollers around the block during the Superbowl which has the highest viewer ratings in the country. The only difference between the guy watching the game at Joe's Bar and the guy at the country club is money. The interest in the Steelers is the same.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2008, 08:57 PM
 
52 posts, read 133,036 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Wimpy, sissy people don't count. There aren't enough of them to comprise even 1% of the population. Go to a country club on a fall or winter weekend and nearly every TV has football on it. Meanwhile your guys are pushing baby strollers around the block during the Superbowl which has the highest viewer ratings in the country. The only difference between the guy watching the game at Joe's Bar and the guy at the country club is money. The interest in the Steelers is the same.
I'm not sure if you are including me as part of the "we" group, but I don't have children, a stroller, or a membership to a country club. In fact, I was in our rival city of Cleveland when the Stillers won the '06 Superbowl.

I once received free tickets to a regular season Steelers game. I was so disgusted with the sloppy drunks and groupies wearing handmade Polamalu (sp?) shirts that by the time I crossed the Clemente bridge, I was ready to peace out. I sold the tickets to some scalper who looked like Rerun from What's Happenin', took the money and invested it into Pitt Panthers jerseys. P.S. I'm a Pitt season ticket holder, so I don't hate football entirely. I guess it's the fan base of the Steelers that really turns me off.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top