Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:37 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times

Advertisements

My nephew always thought Denver was a little too sports-crazed until he moved to Pittsburgh. Then he found out what a sports-crazy town really was! This has been a long-time issue in Pittsburgh. Of course, it's always a good conversation starter, "How 'bout those Steelers (Pirates [years ago], Penguins)".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 04:00 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,331,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Interesting blog post a friend sent me: Pittsburgh is NOT going to the Super Bowl Pittsburgh, PA
Oh GOOD GRIEF!! I can't believe some of the posts on here.
If the Steelers would have choked...all we would be hearing is how they let the city down.

People ....Be proud that you are from a CHAMPIONSHIP CITY! Be proud that the Steelers are champions 7 times over--yes 7 times they've taken us to the big dance! We won 5 of them and are about to win the 6th! Stop whining and be proud you are from Pittsburgh.

And YES--Pittsburgh is going to the Super Bowl!! Even the Steelers will tell you that! They take their fans and city with them when they hit the road!

I for one, am going to miss Pittsburgh when I move, but I have already searched out the Steeler bar in Austin. So I'll be ready when I do move.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:04 PM

29,627 posts, read 34,112,869 times
See, I'm proud to live in Pittsburgh, and I love this town, but that has nothing to do with a bunch of dudes playing a game (even if they're playing it well.)

Old 01-23-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
See, I'm proud to live in Pittsburgh, and I love this town, but that has nothing to do with a bunch of dudes playing a game (even if they're playing it well.)
Well, whether you like it or not....Pittsburgh IS a FOOTBALL town! That's a fact!

Old 01-24-2009, 02:49 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,495,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturdayskids View Post
Yeah, when people hear "Pittsburgh", they think musicals.

I think you're either in a bit of denial, or you've never left the state.

Most out-of-state people that I know think of Pittsburgh as just a boring, somewhat dirty city, with avid sports fans.
I don't know about that, I am from out of state and having been to Pittsburgh about a dozen times or so can say that when I think of the Burg, I think of top notch architecture, beautiful topograghy and skyline, world class colleges, top of the line culture, nice people, beautiful neighborhoods AND the Steelers. The city has some grimey spots, but really, what city doesn't? Try visiting alot of San Fran for example (the city that many on CD seem to worship) grimier than Pittsburgh in my opinion.

I would say Pittsburgh would be in my top 6 favorite US cities

Old 01-24-2009, 04:21 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,783,758 times
Steelers Bring Black, Gold, Green To Pittsburgh Economy - News- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28809518/ - broken link)

Steelers Bring Black, Gold, Green To Pittsburgh Economy

ThePittsburghChannel.Com
updated 12:49 p.m. ET, Fri., Jan. 23, 2009

PITTSBURGH - In the eyes of Pittsburgh businesses, the team colors of the Steelers might as well be black, gold and green.

The Steelers, and their success, have become a major selling point for companies looking to attract more industry to the region.

Allegheny Conference on Community Development CEO Mike Langley said it has either lured or retained more than 500 businesses to the region during the past three years, with the Steelers serving as one of the main selling points. “In The U.S. and North America, it’s a calling card,” said Langley of the Steelers’ marketability.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:22 AM

125 posts, read 446,441 times
Its just that the area and the team are so intertwined that they are interconnected.

It's nothing to be ashamed of really.

New york uses the yankee logo all the time and don't expect to go to boston without hearing about the sox.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:26 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times
Well, I'm happy to say that I passed on two FREE tickets to the San Diego game. I'd rather watch that game on TV with 20 drunks, as opposed to 65 thousand. I attended Jersey Boys last night and it was great to see a ton of people downtown at all three theaters wearing something other than Steeler jerseys and stretch/sweat pants.

Check out this Steeler fight song, these kids are amazing.

YouTube - The Pop Rocks Steelers song

Old 01-25-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
Well, I'm happy to say that I passed on two FREE tickets to the San Diego game. I'd rather watch that game on TV with 20 drunks, as opposed to 65 thousand. I attended Jersey Boys last night and it was great to see a ton of people downtown at all three theaters wearing something other than Steeler jerseys and stretch/sweat pants.

Check out this Steeler fight song, these kids are amazing.

YouTube - The Pop Rocks Steelers song
That is awesome!! You should post it over in the football forum on the Steeler thread.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:36 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,760,690 times
So the headline news on all 3 local news station's websites is the Steelers' plane taking off to Tampa. Must be a slow news day... I hope the plane doesn't hit any turbulance or the networks will break into programming to air a special report on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh