Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:40 AM

29,627 posts, read 34,093,605 times

Advertisements

I hope they keep us updated on the team's in-flight beverage and snack choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 11:37 AM

635 posts, read 3,082,897 times
I didn't read this whole thread's worth of posts, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned....

But not being a huge football junkie, and not really hanging around most of my life with others that are either, I have found many that identify Pittsburgh with many things beyond the Steelers. During the tech boom, and still to some degree, many identified Pittsburgh with high tech. Many still identify, rightly or wrongly(depending on degree), the area with manufacturing. And I've heard it mentioned many times how much the area has improved since the downturn in the 70s and how often Pittsburgh has been highly ranked as a relocation destination. I'm sure others can list a litany of other great things about the area as well that don't revolve around football.

However I do think it is fair to consider the Steelers as being an important part of Pittsburgh's character and history, and is something to be proud of.

Since the Steelers have been so successful, perhaps the perception that everyone identifies the city with its football team is stronger than some other franchises/cities, but I think this isn't unique to Pittsburgh.

Think about cities like Dallas, Green Bay, etc... that are very closely associated with their teams, almost to the point that is primarily what comes to outsiders' minds.

I think any native or resident of any of those cities instead see and know that their city has much more depth and variety than just an association with a particular football team or other one-dimensional attribute. Pittsburgh is no exception.

That being said, would the sale and departure(not likely, and I hope not) of the Steelers from Pittsburgh take something away from the city's external image? I'm sure it would, as the Steelers are certainly part of the city's identity. But it isn't the only thing that defines Pittsburgh.

Although I live in NC now, and have lived in many places across our nation since my youth in Pittsburgh in the 1970s(my father's family is from Pittsburgh), I still fondly remember many things about Pittsburgh and the surrounding area.... and few of them revolve around the Steelers. Although I will be cheering the team on when they meet the Cardinals!

Al

Old 01-26-2009, 01:16 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,659,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
So the headline news on all 3 local news station's websites is the Steelers' plane taking off to Tampa. Must be a slow news day... I hope the plane doesn't hit any turbulance or the networks will break into programming to air a special report on it.
I'm very glad to see that they took the 757 that they always charter. We had an A320 in the hangar all weekend. We installed 4 new thrust reversers, and a new engine. All we heard from the bosses all weekend was that this was the Steeler backup plane, and it absolutely had to be ready to fly Sunday night.

We have A319's that are painted in Steeler, and Cardinal colors. They are too small for the teams to fly charters on them. I'm sure that our schedulers will do everything they can to put those planes on the Pa-Florida, and Arizona-Florida routes.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:26 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,759,267 times
According to KDKA.com, who had a reporter on the flight, the Steelers plane touched down safely in Tampa, the players were upbeat the whole trip, and they threw their pillows into the air when the plane touched down. Riveting news story right there folks. Do I smell a Pulitzer?

Old 01-26-2009, 03:48 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,329,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger View Post

That being said, would the sale and departure(not likely, and I hope not) of the Steelers from Pittsburgh take something away from the city's external image? I'm sure it would, as the Steelers are certainly part of the city's identity. But it isn't the only thing that defines Pittsburgh.

Al
As long as the Rooneys own the Steelers, the departure from Pittsburgh will NEVER happen.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:50 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,781,397 times
The transfer of ownership is already pretty much a done deal. They're not leaving this city for a long long time to come, if ever.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:39 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,930,374 times
They're really out of control now. Eat 'n' Park is closing at 3pm on Sunday, as is Ross Park Mall and other businesses. Ridiculous.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:51 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,334,091 times
If they stay open it's a sure thing they'll lose money plus have angry employees.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:57 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,208,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_in_'sylvania View Post
Steeler-mania doesn't seem to affect the mid or upper crust of society (that is, the people who know that the plural of you is you, not yinz). I work in an intellectual field and absolutely nobody discusses football. Generally, the local yokel working class folks are the ones guzzling beers on Sunday and wearing their jerseys in anticipation of the game by, say, Tuesday. Sure, others like the pigskin too, but realize there are other pursuits out there that don't involve the black 'n gold.

One of the best postings I have read for quite a while! I agree 100%!

Old 01-27-2009, 04:00 PM

22,249 posts, read 47,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
They're really out of control now. Eat 'n' Park is closing at 3pm on Sunday, as is Ross Park Mall and other businesses. Ridiculous.
Eat 'n Park based their closure on the fact that no one was there during SBXL.
It makes sense to close down rather than lose money, doesn't it?

PLUS, I think it makes for happy employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh