Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 03:26 PM

152 posts, read 639,040 times

Advertisements

The problem is not that people like the Steelers...to each their own.

The problem is that people pay more attention to football than anything else.

When your city is primarily the elderly and redneck Steeler fans, there's not many people left that care what the government does as long the benefit checks keep flowing and they have a cold brew on game day.

I once worked as a store clerk years ago and had a guy go absolutely ballistic on me and physically threaten me before throwing merchandise and storming out of the store. I had barely even spoken to him.

His friend offered, "don't take it personally man, he's just mad the Steelers lost yesterday."

Ya, grown men in tights and helmets grabbing each others' asses and smacking into each others is worthy of physical violence.

I have lived in many places...Steelers fans in Pittsburgh take it to a SCARY level.

The Steelers have given Pittsburgh notoriety but have held back the higher pursuits of the city for primitive entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 05:44 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_in_'sylvania View Post
Steeler-mania doesn't seem to affect the mid or upper crust of society (that is, the people who know that the plural of you is you, not yinz). I work in an intellectual field and absolutely nobody discusses football. Generally, the local yokel working class folks are the ones guzzling beers on Sunday and wearing their jerseys in anticipation of the game by, say, Tuesday. Sure, others like the pigskin too, but realize there are other pursuits out there that don't involve the black 'n gold.
Not true whatsoever!! I, too, work in the "intellectual" field. I work with doctors and administrators--they all have their black and gold on Fridays, which is considered "Steeler Fridays". The hospital--UPMC--has Steeler banners posted throughout the hospital right now.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:47 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveinPA View Post

The Steelers have given Pittsburgh notoriety but have held back the higher pursuits of the city for primitive entertainment.

I don't agree with this either. Pittsburgh is on the forefront of medical technology. It may be known as "Steeler" country, but it's known world-wide as a medical leader. One of the top organ transplant centers in the world is located right here in Pittsburgh.

CMU was given a ridiculous amount of grant money by President Bush to study bioterrism. To say that the Steelers have held back higher pursuits of the city is false.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:31 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,003 times
And here is the result of what happens when fans get out of control and ruin it for everyone else;

If Pittsburgh Steelers Win Sunday, Victory Parade Might Not Happen - kdka.com (http://kdka.com/steelers/Steelers.victory.parade.2.919561.html - broken link)

Old 01-28-2009, 10:22 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
In Europe, the first things that comes to people's minds when they hear "Pittsburgh" is the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. Football in the rest of the world is really what we call soccer.

Read Post-Gazette TV critic Rob Owen's "Tuned In" blog in today's P-G for more silliness as the local TV stations fall all over themselves for Steeler-mania. KDKA led the 5pm news with a Steeler staring contest. That was actually the lead on the news. Pathetic.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:32 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
In Europe, the first things that comes to people's minds when they hear "Pittsburgh" is the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. Football in the rest of the world is really what we call soccer.

Read Post-Gazette TV critic Rob Owen's "Tuned In" blog in today's P-G for more silliness as the local TV stations fall all over themselves for Steeler-mania. KDKA led the 5pm news with a Steeler staring contest. That was actually the lead on the news. Pathetic.

There is another thread in another internet forum similair to this one about if Pittsburghers take "Steelerism" to far. I feel that the percentage of rabid drunk annoying sports fans to people who appreciate Art and Culture is the same in every city. People in that thread are saying all people in Pittsburgh care about is the Steelers. I find that untrue. I think if you go to any city only a percentage of residence care about the City symphony, art museums, theaters, and science centers. Which is unfortunate. When I lived in Philly there were more people who cared about arts and culture, but it was a larger city. It was probably the same percentage as here. Identifying with a successfull team isn't bad, just like Boston with the Redsox. I just wish people outside of Pittsburgh would think more about Pittsburgh than the Steelers.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:20 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
There is another thread in another internet forum similair to this one about if Pittsburghers take "Steelerism" to far. I feel that the percentage of rabid drunk annoying sports fans to people who appreciate Art and Culture is the same in every city. People in that thread are saying all people in Pittsburgh care about is the Steelers. I find that untrue. I think if you go to any city only a percentage of residence care about the City symphony, art museums, theaters, and science centers.
I don't agree with this. You seem to break it down to where you have to be either a "rabid drunk annoying fan" or someone "who appreciates Art and Culture." These things are not mutually exclusive. I work at a job where I am around other educated professionals such as pharamacists, nurses and managers. These people can be as "rabid and annoying" about the Steelers as some of the drunk Yinzer types you'll see stumbling out of a South Side bar.

While my coworkers also have other interests as well, they take their Steeler fanaticism to higher levels than fans I've seen in other cities. One of my coworkers was playing that "here we go Steelers" song over and over and over all day long yesterday to the point where it became like nails on a chalkboard. And a group of them started doing Steeler cheers while I was on the phone with a client, I had to yell at them to keep it down because I couldn't hear my caller and do my job. I've never seen people act like this anywhere else. And it's men, women and children of all ages that act like this, not just the stereotypical male sports fan. In other cities people can be rabid sports fans, but there is a time and a place to show your support of your team. But in Pittsburgh that time is 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, no matter where you are. And don't even get me started on the local media...

Old 01-28-2009, 11:36 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
^I actually didn't mean it that way. As I also am also a person who loves the Steelers and like arts and culture. I didn't mean to seperate them that way. It was just a mistake in my writing.

I should have described it as people who ONLY care about the Steelers, but not any of the other arts and culture this city host. It is embarrasing when people only think of Pittsburghers as drunks waiving a towel, and not people who go to the symphony and art museums.

But what I was trying to say, is Pittsburgh probably is equal to any other city in the % of people that take advantage of arts and culture.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:10 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,112 times
There was a report on KDKA about how the residents of Cardinal Drive in Wilkins have covered up the Street Sign With "Steeler Street" for at least for a week or so. They interviewed a yinzeresque guy who proclaimed how all of the residents of the street "loved the stillers" and wanted to show their loyalty by doing so. To me it was pretty tacky for KDKA to send a reporter and a camera out there to cover this tactful "event." More than anything, it tells me what KDKA thinks of it's average viewer. It is sickening.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:08 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
There was a report on KDKA about how the residents of Cardinal Drive in Wilkins have covered up the Street Sign With "Steeler Street" for at least for a week or so. They interviewed a yinzeresque guy who proclaimed how all of the residents of the street "loved the stillers" and wanted to show their loyalty by doing so. To me it was pretty tacky for KDKA to send a reporter and a camera out there to cover this tactful "event." More than anything, it tells me what KDKA thinks of it's average viewer. It is sickening.
Every news station has been doing these ridiculous reports for the past week and a half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh