Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 03:48 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,213,761 times

Advertisements

This may sound sacrilegious, but I think that Pittsburgh as whole identifies itself a bit too much with the Steelers. Before I tick anybody off, I played football and am a huge Steeler and football fan. I just keep it in perspective. I try not to let a Steeler loss ruin my day or week. Yes, I am disappointed, but I get over it very quickly.
What got me to thinking about this is the pending sale of the Steeler franchise. This is definetely worthy of top story news. However, it seems like even their outcome in pre-season games or any other story concerning the team or one it's players gets top billing.
The team is immensely popular because they have been so successful on the field and brought a lot of pride to this city in the 1970s, when all of the mills were closing, until today, in a revitalized city.
That brings me to my next point. In order to show the world that we are a city of culture, education, and technology, we need not emphasize our Steelers as the only great thing about Pittsburgh. This is what many people outside of Pittsburgh first think about when thinking about our city, i.e., the Steelers. Is that necessarily bad? Well, to me it is because the city is so much more and has grown up a lot and has re-created itself in the last thirty years. I respect any opinion. Go Steelers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 05:38 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,697,242 times
Anyone who thinks that Pittsburgh is only about the Steelers has had a few too many beers in the parking lot.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:07 PM

370 posts, read 1,013,871 times
A lot of people outside of Pittsburgh think Pittsburgh is a "Steelers" kind of place. Like, they don't think about the mills, or bridges, or beautiful cityscape of the point. Their mind goes right to the Steelers.

Pretty lame, if you ask me

Old 11-11-2008, 07:03 PM

22,341 posts, read 47,322,635 times
Lots of people outside Pittsburgh think of Pittsburgh as a Penguins place, too!
Or as a college town...
Or where they goo to see musicals... or the Pops... or the PSO.
etc.

The city has LOTS going for it; not everyone equates Pittsburgh as Steelers only.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:38 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,864,727 times
Pittsburgh does need some big time attention to get eyes on it, other then nationally televised Steeler Games.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Or as a college town...
etc.

The city has LOTS going for it; not everyone equates Pittsburgh as Steelers only.

I agree, "not everyone," but many do, both In Pittsburgh and elsewhere. That was my point. That is my bone of contention, because the city DOES have so much more going for it other than the Steelers. I just want SOME, not all of the citizens of Pittsburgh to maybe get a bit more diversified, then maybe SOME, not all of the people elsewhere will look at us differently and get the respect that we deserve.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:17 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,348,173 times
^ Well, they blew that big time by not marketing, at all, our 250th birthday. Where was the national media on that? They didn't even send out press releases. It was the most lackluster event that nobody saw, even us who live here. The Steelers at least get on national TV. The city is so lame we get the attention only that the Steelers bring. Keep voting for Democrats.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Anyone who thinks that Pittsburgh is only about the Steelers has had a few too many beers in the parking lot.

That image was part of the influence of my post.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:04 PM

570 posts, read 1,408,252 times
I look at the Steelerburgh obsession as a two faced black and gold sword. One being the loyal following of the team by ex burgher's nation and worldwide and then the support and exposure of the team right here in the burgh and region.

With so many Pittsburgher's on the move south and west in the late 70's, 80's and 90's in search of work and 'greener grass over there' The sense of holding onto the burgh, the hometown, was made easier with national telecast and exposure of the hometown Steelers. Hence the vast amount of national steeler's clubs popped up all over the place giving those folks a common place to rally for the hometown and team they still loved despite being physically removed.

The local love affair falls in place with the obsession the city and region has for sports. Every fall Friday evening across the area almost 100,000 attend local high school football games. The Pittsburgh TV market almost always has one of the highest viewer ship for each of it's professional teams as compared to other professional sport markets.

I truly think the love affair with Pittsburgh sports and espically the Steelers is related to the region's background as a industrial hard working and proud place. The Pittsburgh stadium and arena has always been a spot where poor and rich, mill hunk and administrator have gathered to cheer on one common cause.

The Pittsburgh Symphony is another professional organization that has gained national and international recognition and applause. Yet the local perception doesn't permeate through all the ages or classes of local citizens the same way as for the Steelers or Penguins. Some of the difference must rest with how national and local media cover the Steelers. Money sells and NFL football is king on national television. And Pittsburgh being one of the premier franchises has more than it's share of national coverage. Hence the national media has given Pittsburgh a black and gold calling card.

My only worry is that with a shrinking population how can Pittsburgh support all the world class opportunities that we have outside of the sports teams. The media exposure the Steelers get is priceless and really makes the playing field for other city organizations quite uneven.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:29 AM

370 posts, read 1,013,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Or as a college town...
etc.

Yeah, when people hear "Pittsburgh", they think musicals.

I think you're either in a bit of denial, or you've never left the state.

Most out-of-state people that I know think of Pittsburgh as just a boring, somewhat dirty city, with avid sports fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh