Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2008, 12:53 PM

9 posts, read 28,732 times

Advertisements

Hopefully some Pittsburgh residents can help me with something:

I lived in the Burgh for 3 years in the mid-90s while I attended Pitt (go Panthers/Steelers!), and have always looked forward to an opportunity to come back and visit. Coming up in a few weeks, I'm going to be travelling to the East Coast on Amtrak, and I change trains in Pittsburgh, with about a 2 hour layover early (between 5 and 7AM) on a weekday morning. While not ideal, it sure would be nice to be able to take a quick stroll downtown and visit some old haunts, especially since I don't know when I'll have this opportunity again.

My question is... is this a smart idea? Although I remember some parts of Pgh as being pretty sketchy back at that time, I always felt relatively safe downtown, at least by "big city" standards. I've lived in and around big cities my entire life, so I'm always cognizant of the fact that appearances can be deceiving when it comes to safety, and it's best to ask a local. So is it wise for me to be walking around downtown at 5AM by myself, or am I just asking for trouble? Any opinions would be appreciated- thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 01:05 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,672,862 times
No one will bother you downtown. Just a bunch of schizoids feeding the pigeons

Old 11-18-2008, 01:17 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,734,236 times
I wouldn't bank on having time. the eastbound capitol ltd is unreliable. are you returning that way? You get a much better 3 hour layover in the evening westbound and the capitol is late, your layover gets extended. the Pennsylvanians is uch more reliable and sometimes arrives early...very early.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:44 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,101,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiflyguy View Post

I lived in the Burgh for 3 years in the mid-90s while I attended Pitt (go Panthers/Steelers!), and have always looked forward to an opportunity to come back and visit. Coming up in a few weeks, I'm going to be travelling to the East Coast on Amtrak, and I change trains in Pittsburgh, with about a 2 hour layover early (between 5 and 7AM) on a weekday morning. While not ideal, it sure would be nice to be able to take a quick stroll downtown and visit some old haunts, especially since I don't know when I'll have this opportunity again.

My question is... is this a smart idea? Although I remember some parts of Pgh as being pretty sketchy back at that time, I always felt relatively safe downtown, at least by "big city" standards. I've lived in and around big cities my entire life, so I'm always cognizant of the fact that appearances can be deceiving when it comes to safety, and it's best to ask a local. So is it wise for me to be walking around downtown at 5AM by myself, or am I just asking for trouble? Any opinions would be appreciated- thanks!
If everything arrives on time with your trains, I see no reason why you couldn't visit and you will be fine around that time as rush hour will be getting into full force by the time you go back to the station.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:19 PM

394 posts, read 1,426,898 times
Quote:

I've gone jogging downtown around that time and found it to be very peaceful (especially with some great music to accompany me via Ipod), Especially if the weather co-operates, precipitation-wise.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:14 PM

255 posts, read 1,090,558 times
Yeah, for a good laugh go and see the mix of business people going to work and the crackheads that inhabit Market Square.

Too funny.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:28 PM

9 posts, read 28,732 times
Thank you all very much for your replies! Well I guess that as long as Amtrak holds up their end of the bargain, I should have ample time for a nice walk downtown, a quick bite to eat, and maybe even a minute to say "Hi" to the crackheads in Market Square. Thanks again!

Old 11-19-2008, 10:54 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,101,134 times
Quote:
Thank you all very much for your replies! Well I guess that as long as Amtrak holds up their end of the bargain, I should have ample time for a nice walk downtown, a quick bite to eat, and maybe even a minute to say "Hi" to the crackheads in Market Square. Thanks again!
A lot of the crack heads are actually being taken out of the Square. There are still some there, but there are going to make major rennovations to Market Square in the spring. Many new resturants and some shops have opened there this year, and the Y is moving there in the spring. Here is a link to Downtown partnership about the Square. Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership

Old 11-19-2008, 11:31 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,559,706 times
Agree with above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: