U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-26-2008, 10:34 AM

425 posts, read 485,737 times
Default Lofts in Pittsburgh

I currently live in Brooklyn,NY and am considering moving to Pittsburgh. I would be looking for a loft that would have easy access to downtown and PNC Park as I am a big baseball fan. I would be looking to spend around $900-$1500 a month.

I already know of a few places such as Heinz Lofts and Flats@Southside Works which both seem great, but I am curious about other options and figure people who live there would know of maybe some under the radar gems.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-26-2008, 02:46 PM

52 posts, read 118,028 times
Would you consider a loft that isn't part of a complex? I looked into Heinz Lofts and the Cork Factory, but found the units to be very overpriced. Instead, I opted for an individual loft above a business in Lawrenceville, a very artsy city neighborhood less than three miles from downtown. The access to the ballpark is great too! If you search for "Lawrenceville" under Craigslist, you'll inevitably find some spacious lofts with plenty of industrial charm in your price range.

Unread 11-26-2008, 02:50 PM

842 posts, read 1,160,175 times
There are a lot of great lofts available in both larger ex-factory complexes and smaller rehabbed buildings as well, all over the city. For the budget you're considering, you'll have your pick of the litter and could pretty much just pick and choose.

Access to the baseball park is super easy from anywhere downtown or along the strip, because on game nights the bridge closest to the park is closed down and everyone walks across it. Also several buses from other areas are easy to ride to and from games.

Coming from Brooklyn, you'll probably be excited to know it's very easy to get along without a car here in the right spots, and completely easy to get along only using a car once or twice a month in almost every neighborhood (and we have ZipCar).

Unread 11-26-2008, 05:18 PM

425 posts, read 485,737 times
Thanks for the replies, I have heard of Lawrenceville in my research, with the 16:62 Design Zone and Butler street. Not having been in Pittsburgh for more then 1/2 hour on a stop over bus trip to Ohio, I am not to familiar with Pittsburgh but it sounds like Lawrenceville is nearby to The Strip.

I seen a NY Times article about Lawrenceville and it seems very nice,artsy spot. Maybe similar to Williamsburgh section of Brooklyn.

and a complex is not a priority, I just love the loft vibe and landing even a small one in NYC would cost about $2000-$4000 for something slightly larger then a jail cell to something that is mereley a studio apt posing as a loft.

Unread 11-26-2008, 07:39 PM

4,396 posts, read 3,957,027 times
Well being from Pittsburgh (goes home quite often as well) and currently living in NYC (for the last 8 yrs). I can tell you I think you will be quite surprised with Pittsburgh, it really is an underrated city.

L'ville is very much the Williamburg/Greenpoint (NYC) section of Pittsburgh. Very nice lofts in the 16:62 zone. L'ville also rapidly gentrifying into a bohemian village, so prices wont be low for ever...

Problem with Heinz is nothing is around it worth while besides being a bridge away from the Strip. Also consider the SouthSide area as well. A little more pricy as its fully gentrified and know mostly as cosmo Shadyside and Sq Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh