Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 11:33 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
The Pittsburgh economy hot? Am I in the right forum? This is Pittsburgh, PA we are talking about, right?
I know of 7 people who have been laid off from different companies in the past year. The reason was either that the businesses were cutting back or closing. I would say the Pittsburgh economy is on life support.
Did you read the article? Be truthful. You didn't read the article. The whole country is in a recession. Jobs are being lost in EVERY city. Why can't people read and understand the article.

Pittsburgh is above the average with riding out the recession. Regardless of the 7 people you "know."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 11:47 AM

457 posts, read 1,280,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Did you read the article? Be truthful. You didn't read the article. The whole country is in a recession. Jobs are being lost in EVERY city. Why can't people read and understand the article.

Pittsburgh is above the average with riding out the recession. Regardless of the 7 people you "know."
My point is that the article is wrong about the Pittsburgh area. I don't know of anyone that doesn't know at least one person who has been laid off this year. Sorry, but rust belt cities have it worse than other areas. It is not hard to find someone who has been laid off more than 6 months around here or hear examples about hundreds of people applying for one entry level position.
You have to also take into account that this article is from a biased resource. Pittsburgh's Future? That is pure propaganda.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:00 PM

39 posts, read 88,007 times
Quote:
It is not hard to find someone who has been laid off more than 6 months around here or hear examples about hundreds of people applying for one entry level position.
Me!

Old 12-02-2008, 12:24 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Sorry, but rust belt cities have it worse than other areas. It is not hard to find someone who has been laid off more than 6 months around here or hear examples about hundreds of people applying for one entry level position.

Come up here to NYC buddy, things are much more bleek....Citi laying off 20K in the city, and now BofA is laying off another 10k.....Wall Street has collapsed...People are getting out of NY while the getting is good. I mean you can really feel the recession up here.

How about Detroit - over 75k jobs lost this year, Detroit is now going thru what Pittsburgh went thru in the 80's

California - $50bn deficit a whole state on the verge of Collapse.

Philadelphia - Approaching Bankruptcy

Miami - Housing Market Collpased Completely (dormant cranes are still in the air on unfinished condos)

Cleveland - Losing jobs that are relocating to Pittsburgh of all places.

I think people are making too light of this recession....This bad boy is going to be a real Humdinger, Feb - Apr we are all really going to feel it in one way or another.....

I would say Pittsburgh is in the best position of all this....

Old 12-02-2008, 12:55 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Bankruptcy would be a good thind for Philadelphia. Like Pittsburgh, it has an enormous amount of unfunded pension liabilities. And of course, the difference between NYC and Detroit is that NYC has big booms and busts, Detroit is in a three decade long bust. I think it's likely NYC will recover, it's always been a dynamic city...nonetheless, the other thread shows that Phoenix has lost, proportionally, almost as many jobs as Detroit. I hav a buddy who just left there and the city's economy has tanked because so much of it was based on RE (including his job). He moved back east (midwest). Another in Florida did the same.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:08 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
I know of 7 people who have been laid off from different companies in the past year.

And I know of more than 7 who were hired.

Both points - your and mine - are irrelevant.

What matters is that Pittsburgh is doing better overall than other cities throughout the nation.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:48 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
The Pittsburgh economy hot? Am I in the right forum? This is Pittsburgh, PA we are talking about, right?
I know of 7 people who have been laid off from different companies in the past year. The reason was either that the businesses were cutting back or closing. I would say the Pittsburgh economy is on life support.
I don't know anyone who has been laid off lately and I know a few people who have found jobs lately. But guess what? We are creating enough jobs that the layoffs that are happening are being rounded off by the new jobs. Even the local news have said we have created job locally this year. Also about the propoganda; that's not true. If you would go to the blog and read it you will see they also talk about some cons on our region but they try to keep it upbeat. And can all you Pittsburgh haters just go away; go whine to your mom or pet if you want to whine.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:58 PM

39 posts, read 88,007 times
Where are these jobs? What are they doing?

Old 12-02-2008, 05:12 PM

799 posts, read 1,290,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
The benefit to not participating in economic booms is that you aren't as greatly effected by the bust.
You are making a false assertion. There are a host of Rust Belt cities that didn't boom leading the way for economic distress (Detroit). And there are boom cities listed still sporting some of the strongest job creation numbers (Austin).

It might help if you actually referenced some data instead of making baseless claims.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:53 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
You know what makes me mad, the fact that not just in Pittsburgh, but all over the country, some few individuals decide to bash other cities to make theirs look better. Bringing Cleveland into the mix is so uncalled for.

Cleveland is doing well, the recession hurt the city just like 95% of the others across the country and the world for that matter. Check out Australia where many of their major cities developments are getting scraped. Here in Cleveland we have no budget problems, city employees will not be loosing their jobs, and we look towards an extremely bright future with an economy that is getting more and more diverse.

Cleveland jobs going to Pittsburgh? National City??? LOL that was a rip-off from the government, and it will hurt Pittsburgh just as equally if not more than Cleveland. People in Cleveland are already moving from National City to Key Bank here in Cleveland because of this "unfair trade." Don't forget, Cleveland is the banking center for the Cleveland-Pittsburgh area. Pittsburgh needs to realize, Cleveland is a big market for them, and Forest City Enterprises which I work strongly with has a strong presence in Pittsburgh including the Strip District and many malls including Robinson.

Cleveland has diversified our economy, Cleveland Clinic, known around the world has attracted many people to our area, and from around the world. Ohio was the 4th fastest growing state in bring in EDUCATED people from outside the U.S. We have a booming medical based economy, go to University Circle or the Cleveland Clinic, construction cranes everywhere.

Downtown Cleveland has one of the fastest growing downtown populations in the country, we have plans for a new convention center which will only be rivaled by a few in the U.S. including New York's similar plans for theirs. Which will start around the same time has Cleveland's. Over 4.3 billion dollars have went into downtown in just the last few years. The Flats East Bank is a new mixed use development that is over half a billion and site prep is already underway.

Cleveland is rebounding, just as well as Pittsburgh, and better in some sectors. Pittsburgh can say the same.

But comparing Cleveland and Youngstown... a small city that is seeing a lot of new development and should not be downgraded. The Chevy Centre is very nice, many new restaurants and downtown lofts are opening up in downtown Youngstown. Mill Creek Park the largest urban park in the nation outside of New York. You want to see dead, go to Flint, Michigan.

Detroit is not in good shape. Unlike Pittsburgh and Cleveland, they did not diversify their economy. While Pittsburgh and Cleveland went towards technology, medical, and green energy, Detroit stayed with the auto industry, and we all know where that is going.

I am an urban planner, I work for the city of Cleveland. I can tell you that Cleveland is in much better shape than Detroit, and many cities across the country. Even in the discusting sprawling Sunbelt.

Here in Cleveland we just had our "Light The Tree Parade." Festivities that get ready for the greatly decorated Public Square right in the middle of downtown. I met a family from Detroit who was amazed with the development and life in downtown Cleveland. They told me you don't see that back in Detroit and they are right. Their sport stadiums are in the suburbs, and when most downtowns gain population with their daily workforce, Detroit looses population.

Pittsburgh and Cleveland have come a long way, it just makes me mad when someone bashes a city to make theirs look better, and that was said in this thread already bashing Cleveland. Cleveland has culture, we have amazing parks and musuems, and a bright future, just like Pittsburgh. This recession will end, and both Pittsburgh and Cleveland who have been voted most livable recently will get through this, and people will see why Pittsburgh and Cleveland have made the rustbelt image slowly fade from these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh