U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 12:39 AM

10 posts, read 17,455 times
Default Wanting to move back to east coast.

I'm from New York, now I live in Portland Oregon. As many would assume, being 3000 miles away from your family is difficult and I would like to move back to the east coast. I know the economic times are hard, especially in NYC, Philly, Large cities, etc. I've been doing some research on Pittsburgh and it may seem right for me.

I work in the engineering field as an Autocad Drafter/Engineering technician. I'm 23 I have a 2 year degree, no criminal record, solid work history with great references. When I look up jobs I qualify for on craigslist, I find atleast 5 new listings a day opposed to most other cities (which are Way larger) maybe one or two new postings a WEEK. Basically, it looks like my field is kicking and there are many jobs out there.

I know with everyone cut throat for jobs, the likelyness of finding a job 3000 miles away is close to impossible.

What about Pittsburgh though? I'm willing to get up and leave at any moment and I will be moving at my own expense. My mother will be buying a home in the PA area next year, so I'm going to be there to stay. Many of these postings I find on Monster are by job agencies, maybe I can shoot a visit to Pittsburgh and have some interviews and move when they offer a job? How should I go about this? I'm willing to keep pushing my resume for several months, but is it more possible here than anywhere else?

I kind of want to get myself a stable job I can hopefully settle with

Any advice would be sooooo helpful!

Thanks and happy holidays, I wish everyone and their familes the best during this economic crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 07:35 AM

3,816 posts, read 3,311,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherjreis View Post
I'm from New York, now I live in Portland Oregon. As many would assume, being 3000 miles away from your family is difficult and I would like to move back to the east coast. I know the economic times are hard, especially in NYC, Philly, Large cities, etc. I've been doing some research on Pittsburgh and it may seem right for me.

I work in the engineering field as an Autocad Drafter/Engineering technician. I'm 23 I have a 2 year degree, no criminal record, solid work history with great references. When I look up jobs I qualify for on craigslist, I find atleast 5 new listings a day opposed to most other cities (which are Way larger) maybe one or two new postings a WEEK. Basically, it looks like my field is kicking and there are many jobs out there.

I know with everyone cut throat for jobs, the likelyness of finding a job 3000 miles away is close to impossible.

What about Pittsburgh though? I'm willing to get up and leave at any moment and I will be moving at my own expense. My mother will be buying a home in the PA area next year, so I'm going to be there to stay. Many of these postings I find on Monster are by job agencies, maybe I can shoot a visit to Pittsburgh and have some interviews and move when they offer a job? How should I go about this? I'm willing to keep pushing my resume for several months, but is it more possible here than anywhere else?

Thanks and happy holidays, I wish everyone and their familes the best during this economic crisis.
IMO engineering jobs will probably be competitive here, but you can find a job probably. I don't know if it is possible but it sure is do-able. Maybe you should come back east for the holidays and you could swing by Pittsburgh to look around. Maybe you could pick up the Post Gazette and find job listings. You could also go to their web site Post-Gazette NOW and the classified part is Post-Gazette NOW - Classifieds - Jobs. It may be more possible; I don;t know how much tech companies are expanding here but were gaining jobs for now and not losing them so you may have better luck here. Good luck!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:54 AM

8,724 posts, read 7,202,278 times
not to say you shouldn't move ot Pitt, but perhaps craigslist isn't the right place to look for jobs in Philly.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:55 AM

10 posts, read 17,455 times
I'm not saying I'm limiting myself to craigslist, I'm just saying compared to other cities there are a lot more jobs posted.

I'm going to use most job sites and go to employment agencies and such. I was just wondering how to go about it.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:52 AM

2,424 posts, read 813,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
not to say you shouldn't move ot Pitt, but perhaps craigslist isn't the right place to look for jobs in Philly.
Huh?

Old 12-05-2008, 08:27 AM

3,816 posts, read 3,311,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
???? This is a Pittsburgh forum. Why would anyone care about Craigslist for Philly here?

Old 12-05-2008, 12:12 PM

7,303 posts, read 9,867,990 times
Quote:

If you have a stable job right now and your mom hasn't moved yet.... do yourself a favor and stay put. BUT -- in this stay put time, pay off any debt, consumer and school related. And save around 6 months living expenses.

Someone else will have to fill you in one whether or not apartments still do first and last month's rent and security deposits -- if they still do you might want a a little more cash saved.

Also -- instead of dragging everything back here with you, think about selling what's replace-able. Adds to your bottom line and lowers your moving costs.

The only reason I say this is you will probably easily find a job, because you're at the beginning of your career. But in our economy, you may lose that job easily, too.

And you may run into an oddity that as an older worker I've seen a few times.... sometimes these crazy employers run ads AND INTERVIEW for jobs they have no intention of filling. It's almost like they are looking for the absolute perfect person to walk through that door and THEN they will make room for him or her. You can tell because you'll run into the same ads over and over and over....

Especially since they don't have to pay a fee to advertise on CL.

I've also heard, but can't confirm that Pittsburgh employers seem to have issues with giving interviews from people out of the area -- it might be easier to to already be here to look for work. (that's where your six month $$ supply comes in handy.)

The other thing is -- you may want to come visit and take a deep look around Pittsburgh. I grew up there, and a lot of people seem to have a love/hate relationship with the area. They either love love love it, or hate hate hate it. There doesn't seem to be any gray area about it.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:00 PM

799 posts, read 663,896 times
Quote:

I can help. If don't have one already, create a profile on LinkedIn. Once you do that, sign up to join the following two groups:

Pittsburgh Tech Council
IntoPittsburgh

You can post your job hunts in those two forums. I've seen quite a few long distance job connections made there over the last two months. If you require more information on the LinkedIn route, send me a Direct Message.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:36 AM

19 posts, read 32,410 times
That website seems pretty helpful. I have to wait for another day to navigate it. There is so much on that site that can help. I looked under the answers section and the answers were good. It seems at times in forums when I ask a question, I get barked at with a dramatic response.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:26 PM

8,724 posts, read 7,202,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
???? This is a Pittsburgh forum. Why would anyone care about Craigslist for Philly here?
if you read the original post, you might understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh