Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:51 AM

323 posts, read 831,743 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, mainstream society has programmed people into believing that Fashion = Money. The more you spend on clothes the better. That is not the truth. Fashion is style. I know people (not from Pittsburgh) who frequently shop at consignment shops and thrift stores and look amazing. I bought a dress on sale for $20, rocked the accessories and looked the best dressed at the Christmas parties this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 10:58 AM

323 posts, read 831,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shy chic View Post
One thing I noticed which is lacking,not only in the Pittsburgh area but also in northern WV (yeah I admit I'm from there) are nice, affordable clothing stores for women size 16 and up. My weight fluctuates and when I need the larger size there are SOO many choices for woman who are under size 12 or a teenager,but limited choices for women who are in this range.(30 yrs and up and size 16 or so)
A good friend of mine needed a nice suit for an interview and she had a hard time finding something appropriate and flattering (she lives in Connellsville by the way) in a size 18. Maybe that's one reason so many woman wearing stretch pants and T's,not enough affordable(not talking Wal-mart or Kmart) clothes in more fashionable styles.
As for Steeler wear, I'm a fan and wear my Steeler sweatshirt on game days,but not all the time!

The main problem I have found with buying clothes since moving to Pittsburgh is that most of the stores only carry what I call "Hookerwear" or "Mothballs" (Old lady clothes). You have to search to find something that doesn't make you look like you are going to the Jersey Shore or over 60.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:03 AM

36,917 posts, read 38,864,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCAGirl View Post
Have you lived in Pittsburgh before? Either way, think long and hard. Your weather is much nicer! It may seem like a little thing, but once you get here, it's a BIG thing. (or it is for me.) I moved back here from SoCal and it's been a tremendous adjustment for me. I thought since I grew up here it would all feel the same, but I was wrong. Seems I had changed a lot after 12 years of being in other cities. Now I want what the large cities have, and it's not here. I'm not sure it will ever come here. It is definitely a more down to earth, blue-collar city. If I wore the kind of clothes that I truly have fun wearing, people here would think I was a freak.
Do it anyways.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:16 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,036,654 times
Two boutiques, that I am in love with, are in the South Side Works. Via and Fluid. "Different" clothes at affordable pries. They featured the owner on that Pittsburgh talk show that comes on early morning on KDKA. He's from Miami. I've held a few conversations with him while I was shopping in his boutique. Nice guy and he knows about some women's clothes...and obviously men's clothes too, since he decided to open up "Fluid".....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh