U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-15-2008, 07:21 PM

3,191 posts, read 3,504,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I think the only problem is here people don't like to spend money.
You don't spend any time in the South Hills shopping areas then; people would shrivel up if that mall would close, on the most unthinkable days for shopping, people are out spending like money is going out of style
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-15-2008, 11:29 PM

3,134 posts, read 5,184,469 times
^ I think that's why the T went there first and the last of the trolley cars - those people are serious about their shopping. It looks like high fashion is never a part of it. The people go shopping often, yet they look poor.

Unread 12-16-2008, 04:33 AM

8,424 posts, read 21,948,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
You don't spend any time in the South Hills shopping areas then; people would shrivel up if that mall would close, on the most unthinkable days for shopping, people are out spending like money is going out of style

I don't see "mall core" spending 1400$ on one skirt or even 500$

Unread 12-16-2008, 05:44 AM

3,191 posts, read 3,504,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I don't see "mall core" spending 1400$ on one skirt or even 500$
Like I said, neither you or Peter Wabbit spend any time in either South Hills Village or the Galleria. Along with the Ross Park Mall, you see a lot of higher fashion clothing and accessories.

Unread 12-16-2008, 08:17 AM

2,486 posts, read 860,327 times
wait, its a bad thing that people arn't so materialistic here that they drop 1500 on a article of clothing. Jesus, I thought that was what was cool about Pittsburgh; the fact that people are down to earth, real, and not stuck up. Go to California or N.Y. if this sort of materialism is what makes you happy.

I am so annoyed anymore with the super materialistic complaining about other places not being so highend fashinonable like N.Y. Does it really take a high IQ to figure out that the rest of the country isn't LA or N.Y.?

Like ewwww, I just moved to St. Louis. Like they totally are behind the times. Like they don't even have Gouchi skirts here. Like ewwww. I can't believe this, they do in like New York. Whats wrong with this town? Like shaaaa.

Unread 12-16-2008, 08:40 AM

2,486 posts, read 860,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorbust View Post
I love it High fashion in Western PA is stretchy pants and a sweatshirt. Even in the summer. No joke. Just go to any walmart within a 50 mile radius. Oh, and the main food group, pizza.
You realize that there are poor, middle class, and upper class people in every section of this country right? You realize that you are describing the poor class that shop at walmarts, and they will be in Florida too also right?

I am not joking, there really are poor people who shop at walmart and where poor clothes, and eat Pizza too in Florida!

I really have never seen anybody wear the clothes you just described anywhere in the city. If you only know Pittsburgh on the walmarts that are within a 50 mile radius of it, than I please ask you to not describe my town on internet message boards. This is not a fair assessment of my town.

This thread has dissolved into describing the poor class and calling it Pittsburgh. Like I said before so many times. The amount of ignorant post on this forum is just sickening. There is also highclass people in Pittsburgh also. I know it may be shocking to some of you that only know this city by shoping at the Walmart in Delmont. But there is more to Pittsburgh than Walmart 30 miles from the city.

Unread 12-16-2008, 10:53 AM

11,898 posts, read 8,626,770 times
Quote:
There is also highclass people in Pittsburgh also. I know it may be shocking to some of you that only know this city by shoping at the Walmart in Delmont. But there is more to Pittsburgh than Walmart 30 miles from the city.
Right. Go to the theater or an exhibit opening or to a good restaurant, and you'll see plenty of people wearing fashionable things.

That said, my parents often fret about being underdressed when they come visit and we go out to dinner. I tell them "this is Pittsburgh, no matter where you go, someone will be wearing a sweatshirt and a ball hat." Which is unfortunately true.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 12-16-2008 at 11:14 AM..

Unread 12-16-2008, 11:07 AM

802 posts, read 1,895,551 times
Thumbs up "Dressy Cities"....

Katiana had mentioned something about Chicago and Minneapolis being somewhat more of "dressy cities" than Pittsburgh, and I'd agree . . . but I'd also note, that both are somewhat stuffier and, in Minneapolis' case, more pretentious than Pittsburgh, as well.

Chicago will never get over it's "Second City" complex, even though it's technically third in population.... so it tends to overcompensate by touting al things "Chicago" as being so unique and special that you're just damned lucky to have found it at all!!! - - - Yes, they have a livelier arts and culture community, but with over 3 million more peple, that is to be expected.

In Minneapolis' case, the city has always prided itself on its "Hipness Quotient", because there's not many other reasons anyone would ever voluntarily elect to suffer through their winters, there!!!! - - - The dress-up culture there is based partly on the extreme cold in winter, and partially out of a deep-seated desire to attract more of the same liberal, artsy, intellectual types they are already known for... it's a bit smug, and kinda' like the "South Park" cartoon where the town suffers from "Smug", I think Minneapolis is a victim of its own smugness.

Pittsburgh is proud of its blue-collar heritage, even as it embraces modern-day technology and heads into the 21st Century. As such, I find it refreshing that I can be "casual" almost anywhere within reason, and that "casual" doesn't have to mean dockers, a henley or polo shirt or even a button down with a tie....

But, all in all, even though there IS "high fashion" here, it's not as pervasive as in many other cities, and I thank God for that....

Unread 12-16-2008, 11:29 AM

47 posts, read 152,176 times
I don't think that there's any need to conflate fashion-consciousness with high-end designers. I mean, I like to dress up and look unique, but I buy most of my clothes at Goodwill. Or sew them myself.

I agree that the thought of people paying $1,400 for a skirt is nauseating. I also agree that many people in Pittsburgh take a utilitarian approach towards clothing, but in a place like Shadyside, a boutique might thrive.

Unread 12-16-2008, 01:36 PM

8,424 posts, read 21,948,810 times
If you look at Pittsburgh incomes you will see that the majority of income level here is working class and a lot of familys.

When you buy high end you are paying for an artist's creations. Not dollar bin steal a deal. They are hand sewn by master seamstresses and have free tailoring.

But like a few other I moved here in a jump from NYC TO LA TO here..
which..come on people..whats wrong with being working class.
Who freakin' cares?

and the South Hills Village or the Galleria - DATED

Pittsburgh...just admit it. The shops are dated and working class will never go high end. They just think its "nonsense"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh