Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 10:15 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,913,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
IMO The T needs to be extended to these areas in this order -

- Fifth Ave Line from Downtown clear out to Penn Ave, making a right up Penn continuing to the Wilkinsburg EBA...Making Wilkinsburg a Major transfer hub to Local buses, EBA, and the T.

- Change the HOV (Parkway North) to Rail lines.....Convert the Ross Park n Ride into a transit Hub, having North Hills Local and Express buses terminating for a transfer to the North Hills T; which would then run Non - Stop to Downtown with the exception of maybe one stop on the North Side for AGH, Alleg Center, and North Shore Workers.

- A Penn Ave line - From Downtown - Serving the Strip, L'ville, Childerens Hosp, Friendship and E Liberty....Either terminating in Wilkinsburg @ the Hub or send out as far as M'ville Mall creating a transit hub in Monroeville.

- South side/Carson street line - From the exsisting T line downtown heading thru the S. side, out to Homestead and possibly Mckessport......Express service possbily thru Hays.

- Service to the Airport.

If Pittsburgh and Port Authority would have these lines in place watch the city explode with growth.....
I like all those options. I would move the fifth ave line to Forbes ave line, and still connect it to wilkensburg via braddock ave.

I also disagree with the post above to spend money linking Cranberry to the city via light rail. No way, should that fly on our tax dollars. Just because people are irresponsibly sprawling 35 miles from the city, shouldn't mean that we should spend county tax money for people who don't even live in the county. I would love to see rail linking areas close to the city, and using existing rail lines along all of the rivers for the older steel towns like New Ken, Natrona, etc that have been hit by loss of industrial plants. Towns like this should be a perfect for Train oriented development. People who use rail would be more likely to live in the older mill towns along the rivers over the SUV soccer moms at Cranberry. I understand that many who live in Cranberry would use it if they worked in downtown Pittsburgh to save on parking. BUt they made that decission when they built in a sprawling housing development up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 12:37 PM

285 posts, read 858,375 times
While it may seem like a rail connection from Hazlewood-Oakland-Lawrenceville wouldn't be as useful as a downtown-oakland connection, it would still definitely get used. Easier transport would open more living areas for university students and university and hospital employees. Also, it makes sense to have a better connection from the Oakland hospitals to the new Children's hospital. Right now, the only option is the 54C, and anyone who rides that bus can attest to it's unreliability.

Also, the proposed $9,000 for this fairly useful line seems like a pittance compared to the what, $400 million that's being spent on the north shore connector.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:55 AM

212 posts, read 638,264 times
Wasn't AVR (Allegheny Valley RR) doing a study to see if passenger rail service could be restored to Downtown on existing tracks that go through L'ville, Oakmont, etc? At least there was talk of that in early '06 when I left the area.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:23 PM

570 posts, read 1,406,745 times
Studies currently underway for commuter rail from Westmoreland County into Pittsburgh. The energy for this project coming from Westmoreland County.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:34 PM

254 posts, read 588,858 times
Rail transit from Downtown to Oakland and beyond is perfectly appropriate to me. They are two major urban hubs, which form the ideal transit layout. The benefits would be great for Oakland by providing a car-less and bus-less transit option to Downtown, and Downtown retail would probably benefit somewhat by increased travel into the city center. Plus, I think if the Hill District had rail transit options, it would benefit that neighborhood by providing access to jobs, schools, retail, etc that are currently just outside that neighboorhood. The transit should run beyond Oakland to connect at least Shadyside, Friendship, Highland Park, East Liberty and Point Breeze.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:38 AM

570 posts, read 1,406,745 times
Default Rail-Mass Transit support via the Obama's big Stimulus Plan

In looking into request from some urban areas across the country, I have yet to see any large scale funding request for local rail mass transit. In my book the public's dollar would go further in supporting mass tranist than more pork barrel like projects such a Miami-Dade's multi million dollar swimming pool project.
Just this morning I did hear of Martin County just above West Palm Beach in south florida as looking into a funding request under the Federal Stimulus Plan for an extension of the 'Tri Rail' system north into that county. Hopefull more communities will look into this possible support from huge stimulus plan.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:04 PM

18,842 posts, read 14,027,168 times
Default I luv mass transit

Though I am a fan of rail based mass transit, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to cut politics out of the loop.

Instead of using taxpayer funds to "study" (Waste money), "argue" (waste more money), legislate funding (OMG waste!), build and operate "public owned" mass transit, why not do the opposite:

DO NOT TAKE TAX MONEY FROM IT!

In other words, if "we" want mass transit, have government give a full tax exemption to rail mass transit (and laborers hired).

I strongly suspect that investors offered a chance of TAX FREEDOM, would pour funds into electrified rail mass transit. Likewise, workers would be more than willing to enjoy a FULL PAYCHECK.

[] Let's get "back on track" - say YES to 'lectric rail mass transit!

Old 01-31-2009, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 6,774 times
I grew up in North Huntingdon Twp, Westmoreland County -- and started frequenting Downtown, Shadyside, and Oakland after turning 21. I spend most of my year now in New York City as I am a student at Fordham University. Looking not at NYC's subway, but rather the MTA's Metro North Commuter Railroad, I can't help but wonder why Pittsburgh doesn't develop a railroad like that.
The Metro North extends from Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan and branches out to service the metro-area. From Fordham in the Bronx, I can be in mid-town Manhattan in 19 minutes on regularly scheduled trains - or on weekends, I can head out to Bronxville ([url=http://villageofbronxville.com/]Welcome to The Village of Bronxville[/url]), Scarsdale, White Plains (City of White Plains (http://www.ci.white-plains.ny.us/templates/template_text_image_right_panel.aspx?ID=Retail%20E nvironment316 - broken link)), or any of the other towns along the line.
Looking at the Metro North and the lay of the towns along the line, I can't help but think of Pittsburgh. Regarding the East suburbs in Particular, a commuter rail line could serve Oakland, Monroeville, and branch out to McKeesport, North Huntingdon (and help to revitalize Downtown Irwin), and even run through Greensburg.
I can't say enough about the convenience of the Metro North Railroad in NYC. It definitely promotes economic activity for all the town along the tracks. If we in Pittsburgh could commute to various town s as easily as in NYC, there might be more reason to visit neighboring towns (i.e. restaurants, bars [no designated driver needed when the train stops in your town], nightlife, shopping, etc.) and ultimately lead to the revitalization of Downtown Pittsburgh. Though Pittsburgh is certainly not a city on the scale of Manhattan, it has potential to be far more than it currently is. Adding commuter rail service could certainly help in realizing that potential.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,774,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I was going to bring this question to the round table. Obama has certainly made it clear that his so called 'stimulus package' will include funding at various levels for public water works, roads, bridges, recreactional development, power development, communications and a host of other things.

One major area I have not heard included or even discussed has been that of Mass Transit.
I was breezing through the room and will add to this...

There is some money in the stimulus package earmarked for public transit projects, but it's not a ton. However, this was one of the "packets" they say the Republicans want removed from it before it goes through, saying that it's not something that will actually stimulate the economy and create jobs. That is another topic for debate.

Mentioned on some level in this article. Mentioned in this SF article. And one more with some dollar amounts - here.

Hey, you folks are luckier than we are. At least Pennsylvania contributes something to the mass transit / rail projects there. Atlanta's rail system gets zippo (zero) dollars from the State for ours.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:58 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,939,913 times
Default Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
Agreed about connecting the East End (would have been much better than the North Shore).

I think they should look at the Airport/Parkway West corridor after the East End. Too much congestion on those routes. Commuters from Cranberry have an easier drive...they can wait 100 more years!
First of all- the North Shore Connector IS the first leg towards the airport. The idea is that the light rail would go down river , cross over (hopefully on an existing bridge and not another tunnel) and head out to the airport.
An extension to Oakland etc. sounds nice but imagine all the infrastructure one would have to build and/or remove! Plus- there is already an effective busway to the east.

North may make some sense down the line, but right now it is the least congested artery into town, and the least densely developed direction. I think Rt. 28 north along the Allegheny would make better sense. Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh