U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-04-2009, 12:53 PM

6 posts, read 9,563 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving back to Pittsburgh with my child, who is black. I'm not. I'm Jewish; we live in Philadelphia. In Philadelphia, this is all very ordinary-- there are African-American synagogues, there are lots of multiracial jewish families, we're just not all that noticeable. While for economic reasons, this move might make sense, I'm concerned about taking her out of Philadelphia to a city I remember as being pretty segregated. I'd love to hear from families like ours about this issue and where, if anywhere, we should live if we make this decision. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 08:17 AM

62 posts, read 237,026 times
Is the father coming.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:04 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,774,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdnell View Post
I'm considering moving back to Pittsburgh with my child, who is black. I'm not. I'm Jewish; we live in Philadelphia. In Philadelphia, this is all very ordinary-- there are African-American synagogues, there are lots of multiracial jewish families, we're just not all that noticeable. While for economic reasons, this move might make sense, I'm concerned about taking her out of Philadelphia to a city I remember as being pretty segregated. I'd love to hear from families like ours about this issue and where, if anywhere, we should live if we make this decision. Thanks.

Pittsburgh still remains pretty segregated. In certain areas, your family would fit well enough. In most other areas, mostly the suburbs, your type of family would be rare to find. I suggest living closer to the city and maybe living near the edge of two communities to provide more diversity.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:05 PM

Default Single parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Osborne View Post
Is the father coming.
I'm a single parent, so no, the father isn't coming. She's adopted.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:06 PM

Default which communities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
Pittsburgh still remains pretty segregated. In certain areas, your family would fit well enough. In most other areas, mostly the suburbs, your type of family would be rare to find. I suggest living closer to the city and maybe living near the edge of two communities to provide more diversity.
what neighborhoods do you suggest?

Old 01-06-2009, 10:49 PM

965 posts, read 1,643,576 times
whats your budget???

Old 01-07-2009, 09:46 AM

269 posts, read 726,579 times
I'm new to the area myself, but here's what I would suggest. Squirrel Hill has probably the largest Jewish population. It is a nice neighborhood in Pittsburgh zoned for (I think) decent schools. I rarely see african americans in that neighborhood - then again, I only drive through there on my way to work or to go shopping. I'm not a mom, so I probably don't notice parents and their children - I can't really say what kinds of interracial families live there. I would recommend that you check it out.
According to the city - it is 87.5 white, 3.4%black, and 6.7% asian. I'm not sure if this includes students or not (many cmu students and faculty live in the neighborhood).

What I have noticed is that Pittsburgh in general is void of color, which can be a challenge coming from Philly. People who are not minorities (or who are from mostly white areas) don't seem to mind this, but it was a pretty big hurdle for me to overcome (being asian). I don't mean to say that people of color don't live here, sadly, the areas that are predominately black are also predominately poor and (from what I've heard) unsafe. A black/indian/asian/whatever middle class is lacking here, specifically in the suburbs.

Other than students at Pitt/CMU/etc, I do not see many asian, indian, black, hispanic people on a typical day. I live in Edgewood (similar stats to Squirrel Hill but is not in the city), but I happen to live on a block that is particularly diverse. I'm sure these blocks exist elsewhere in the city. Other neighborhoods that border these poorer neighborhoods are probably more diverse too. Highland Park (which many people think is unsafe) comes to mind too.

I should also say that despite being a minority, I haven't had too many racial incidents (actually none within the city itself)- more just being uncomfortable (like going to a party where I am the only nonwhite person in a group of 50, or having dinner with my inlaws near their home in the suburbs and being the only nonwhite person in the restaurant). I might just be hyper-sensitive.

I will say having lived here for over a year - I really like it here. I like how friendly people are, and I like how safe the city is. The parks are great too. The city itself is surprisingly green - and I love living near a food coop. Good luck with your search.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:39 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,774,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdnell View Post
what neighborhoods do you suggest?
I think east of the city around Squirrel Hill, which is mostly Jewish. East Liberty is not a great neighborhood but more diverse than most of Pittsburgh. I'm not sure about further out east than that. South Side is growing and is sort of artsy feeling. Stay away from the main street, though. Lots of bars and loud noise on nights and weekends. But diversity is more accepted there. I would not try south of the city or west. South is mostly older white mill type families with traditional views. West is just not diverse enough, too white. North might be ok, but some of those areas are bad with gang activity. Other posters might have a better feel about north of the city.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:51 PM

137 posts, read 231,569 times
We have blacks in my family and so do a lot of my friends, don't worry about it...That race thing is dead. Good reddens to bad garbage..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh