Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:17 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times

Advertisements

Here is how Pittsburgh compares with cities of similar size +/- 100,000. Populations have been rounded to the nearest 5,000. Rates per 100,000 are used so crimes in cities of various sizes can be compared fairly equally. These are city limits only and do not include the metro areas. The 71 homicides used for Pgh. does not include justifiable homicides. Cleveland, New York & Philly are included in case anyone is curious.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 03:21 PM

803 posts, read 2,970,234 times
Nice chart, and it shows we're "on par" with other cities of comparable size and racial makeup... but, considering that we were one of the safest only two short years ago, that speaks to an attitude change here in the 'Burgh, somehow.....

Old 01-08-2009, 01:43 PM

Yet another person shot (in the stomach, I think) on Brownsville Road, this time at the Mt. Oliver/Carrick border.....

Are there any COPS reading this thread, who might have some pull with their Sergeant and can get a few more patrols down here?!?!?!?!?!

I'm about to pull out my Yammy and start a-blastin' peeps, Yo!!!!!

Old 01-08-2009, 01:53 PM

Cops in some cities identified the problem, made a plan, and took action. Pittsburgh never had a plan and took no action. Another year like the last and Philly will look safe compared to here. Look out Camden. We're gunnin' for your top spot.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:16 PM

137 posts, read 354,100 times
And thats just the murders they tell you about....

Old 01-08-2009, 10:39 PM

Camden, Gary, New Orleans, Cleveland, and Pgh. (among others) seem to have been
very honest. I don't trust the Detroit report at all, I think Philly is hiding a lot of bodies,
Dallas said their figure was adjusted for population without explaining what that meant,
Flint deducted a bunch off their 35 which residents said was only a partial total.... the FBI
will reduce the numbers even further when they release their report later this year.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:30 AM

I just find the whole situation sad.

I've even written the Post-Gazette writer of the recent article on Mt. Oliver, asking if he could maybe ask the editor to do an extended piece about how the community is declining, and maybe help get a few people starting to think about potential solutions.

And while I'll agree that the problem seems to be stemming largely from young, black males in the area, I'm not blind enough to say that there aren't white criminals as well in the area . . . it's just, that they don't seem to be the ones using the guns...

So, the underlying issue seems to be:

* WHY do the youth fel that they need a gun in order to get by?

* HOW are they getting these guns?

* HOW can we stop it?

* WHY is the city not prosecuting properly and getting longer convictions for those who do offend in such a manner?

* WHAT can we, as average citizens, do to help out in our community to keep youth away from these types of environments?

The answers all have to come from within the communities effected by the problem; answers coming from Harrisburg or Washington, or even from Downtown. . . . .won't hold much credibility with th' "locals"....

Old 01-09-2009, 01:29 PM

374 posts, read 1,285,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
I just find the whole situation sad.

I've even written the Post-Gazette writer of the recent article on Mt. Oliver, asking if he could maybe ask the editor to do an extended piece about how the community is declining, and maybe help get a few people starting to think about potential solutions.

And while I'll agree that the problem seems to be stemming largely from young, black males in the area, I'm not blind enough to say that there aren't white criminals as well in the area . . . it's just, that they don't seem to be the ones using the guns...

So, the underlying issue seems to be:

* WHY do the youth fel that they need a gun in order to get by?

* HOW are they getting these guns?

* HOW can we stop it?

* WHY is the city not prosecuting properly and getting longer convictions for those who do offend in such a manner?

* WHAT can we, as average citizens, do to help out in our community to keep youth away from these types of environments?

The answers all have to come from within the communities effected by the problem; answers coming from Harrisburg or Washington, or even from Downtown. . . . .won't hold much credibility with th' "locals"....

[SIZE=3]One thing is our outdated laws here.[/SIZE]

Old 01-10-2009, 12:30 PM

374 posts, read 1,285,245 times
Another thing that I noticed that people don't bother to call the police when the here shots fired. I am prime suspect for this account.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:50 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
They are trying to prosecute. Someone EXECUTED a boy that was going to try to stand up for whats right and talk about a murder recently.

I hope that they are letting them get sloppy to make it easy to clean up.
I have to assume the cleared some big dogs a few years ago and the sloppy scrappers are making a rise.
Time to clean house again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh