U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-05-2009, 12:01 AM

17 posts, read 34,134 times
Default Understanding liquor prices

I heard several points of hearsay concerning the price of liquor in PA. Are all the prices fixed by the PLCB, so everything will be the same price when comparing store to store? Is this price higher or lower than prices in others states? As a control, a bottle of 151 at a PA store near me is about $20; is this comparable with other places or can I be getting it cheaper?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 12:54 AM

3,134 posts, read 5,661,716 times
They all used to have a sign that read, "State Store." A lot of us still call them that. The state controls everything about the liquor within it, Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board. Prices are the same everywhere in the state. People used to and still may go to WV or MD to buy booze. I think there is a fine if you get caught bringing back too much.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:48 AM

913 posts, read 1,539,742 times
pa has the highest prices on booze cause half the price is taxes
if you go to w.v. a bottle of whiskey or a case of beer is half the price of pa

Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The PLCB is one of the largest purchasers of wine and spirits in the United States, but fails to pass the significant volume purchase discounts on to customers, or to their employees. The Board generates economies of scale through the sharing of administrative costs between marketing, licensing and alcohol education functions. Despite this, wine and liquor sold in neighboring states is consistently up to 40% less expensive than in Pennsylvania. It is illegal to transport any alcohol beverage purchased in another state into Pennsylvania. Lack of competition in beer sales, and inability of distributors to sell six-packs, pushes the price of many six-packs sold at taverns to over $10.

The state liquor tax of 18%, which was enacted to provide relief to victims of the Johnstown Flood of 1936 as a temporary 10% tax, but never repealed and subsequently increased over the years (and is now used for the General Fund), is included in the shelf price of each item. The PLCB transfers all tax moneys and all operating profits (revenues remaining after operating expenses and payments to other Commonwealth Agencies) to the State Treasury.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:00 AM

805 posts, read 2,006,970 times
Actually, I've found booze here to be MUCH cheaper than it was in New York, or even Vermont....

Taxes or no taxes, when I can find a fifth of passable booze for under $10, then you're not doing THAT bad!!!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:02 AM

2,486 posts, read 990,496 times
I save 10 bucks driving down to West Virginy for my booze!!!!!!!

But I spent 15 on just gas driving down there and back. Not to menton wear and tear on my car, and the time spent just driving down there.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:32 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,056 posts, read 1,978,145 times
FAQs about: Transporting Liquor (http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/webapp/edu/RAMP/PrintGrp.asp?grp=8 - broken link)

From lcb.state.pa.us/webapp/edu/RAMP/PrintGrp.asp?grp=8 (http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/webapp/edu/RAMP/PrintGrp.asp?grp=8 - broken link)

Can I transport liquor across state lines if the transporting of this liquor is purely for consumption purposes? For example, if I purchase a case of wine in Virginia can I take it to my parents home in Pennsylvania for the purposes of consuming it either during a party or holiday? Would the same answer apply if the wine were to be consumed at a private club?
A:
Initially, please be advised that it is the Pennsylvania State Police, Bureau of Liquor Control Enforcement ("Bureau"), and not the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board ("Board"), which enforces the liquor laws in Pennsylvania. This office is authorized to issue opinions to Board licensees that are binding on the Bureau. Since you are not a Board licensee, the following is offered for your guidance and information only. Generally, section 491(11) of the Liquor Code prohibits any person, other than the Board, a manufacturer, the holder of a sacramental wine license or importer's license, from bringing liquor, including wine, into Pennsylvania. [47 P.S. 4-491(11)]. Similarly, section 491(2) prohibits any entity, other than those listed above, from possessing or transporting any liquor or alcohol within the Commonwealth that was not purchased from a Pennsylvania Wine & Spirits Shoppe or limited winery. [47 P.S. 4-491(2)]. Unless you hold one of the licenses stated herein, you cannot bring liquor from another state into Pennsylvania. The purpose for which the wine is to be brought into Pennsylvania or the location in Pennsylvania where it would be consumed are immaterial. If you will be visiting relatives or attending a function in Pennsylvania you may be able to “special order” the wines that you wish to acquire. Please contact the Bureau of Logistics, at (717) 787-6646 for further information on special orders.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:43 PM

213 posts, read 395,453 times
For the average person, who will, say, bring a case of wine from MD, that sounds like an impossible-to-enforce law. Unless you get caught speeding or something, and the officer wants to look in your car, who's going to know?

Old 01-05-2009, 01:08 PM

just like you cant buy ciggs in another state
the reason why is cause the greedy state of pa dont get the tax money
its the same reason poker machines, bookies, and hookers are illeagal
casue pa dont get the tax money

Old 01-05-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
Actually,
Taxes or no taxes, when I can find a fifth of passable booze for under $10, then you're not doing THAT bad!!!

you can get a bottle of mad dog or old crow for under 10$

Old 01-05-2009, 01:31 PM

2,486 posts, read 990,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrian12 View Post
you can get a bottle of mad dog or old crow for under 10$
Dude thats what homeless people drink after they scraped up enough quarters for the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh