Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 07:22 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,806 times

Advertisements

I know this is probably very very shocking. It is true though. I found out after reading many Steeler forums on the internet, and this one too. People from the south and California keep reminding us that in Pittsburgh we have 12 months of never ending gloom, and suicidal thoughts are typical amongst us unfortunate ones who live here.

Really though. I went out every day last April and May and took photos of Pittsburgh neighborhoods after work and on weekends. I remember a abundance of beautiful 70 degree sunny days this spring. It was a great spring. I remember getting so many pictures throught the time the Pens were in the playoffs when it was nice, sunny, and everything was in bloom. I spent the summer working outside to make extra cash in the evening after my real job and on weekends. A few days were to hot to work, but most were really nice, and I enjoyed being outside. I remember most of fall was nice, and I got in plenty of great outdoor activities. I know winter sucks though, but it makes spring, summer, and fall feel nicer.

Why is everybody (especially the older yinzers, 50 and above) so negative? That one guy (not going to say his name) acts like this is the most depressing miserable city, while comparing it to Philly................Like Philly's weather is soooo much nicer. Give me a crappy winter so I don't have to deal with hot as hell and humid summers.

Does anybody else find it extremely annoying when people who moved from the south feel the need to remind us that it is mild in the south right now? Does anybody else watch the weather, and see that the south also gets cold too? The jet stream drops down to Florida many times bringing in Canadian air as far down to Georgia all the time.

People from the south, we get it. You don't get as cold as the north. If you were here, I would give you a cookie. Enough is enough.

Besides, here is one of the few pictures that I caught after work in mid April last year. It will help you look forward to spring.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 08:32 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,644 times
This has been discussed at length and there is never a solution or answer that applies to everyone.

It's all relative, folks:
People who live in the Carolinas think its cold in Pittsburgh.
People who live in Pittsburgh think it's cold in upstate NY.
People who live in Upstate NY think it's cold in Canada.
People who live in Brazil think its cold in the Carolinas.

If you are miserable where you live because it's too hot, too cold, too whatever, then move!
If you like where you live, then that's great. Please don't try to tell me why I should or shouldn't like where I live.

THE END.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:35 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
And don't forget that the houses here are really, really, old. No $hit, Pgh is celebrating its 250th year, yeah, the houses are old.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:04 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
This has been discussed at length and there is never a solution or answer that applies to everyone.

It's all relative, folks:
People who live in the Carolinas think its cold in Pittsburgh.
People who live in Pittsburgh think it's cold in upstate NY.
People who live in Upstate NY think it's cold in Canada.
People who live in Brazil think its cold in the Carolinas.

If you are miserable where you live because it's too hot, too cold, too whatever, then move!
If you like where you live, then that's great. Please don't try to tell me why I should or shouldn't like where I live.

THE END.
The weather was not what was at question. The question was do people from the south or west who feel the need to come on here during winter to tell us how much better it is to have a mild winter annoy you?

The other question is; why are so many old yinzers that never lived anywhere else so negative? Do you really think that they think it is paradise in other cities?

Old 01-12-2009, 09:22 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
...The question was do people from the south or west who feel the need to come on here during winter to tell us how much better it is to have a mild winter annoy you?
My answer, a resounding YES!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:27 AM

267 posts, read 815,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
I know this is probably very very shocking. It is true though. I found out after reading many Steeler forums on the internet, and this one too. People from the south and California keep reminding us that in Pittsburgh we have 12 months of never ending gloom, and suicidal thoughts are typical amongst us unfortunate ones who live here.

Really though. I went out every day last April and May and took photos of Pittsburgh neighborhoods after work and on weekends. I remember a abundance of beautiful 70 degree sunny days this spring. It was a great spring. I remember getting so many pictures throught the time the Pens were in the playoffs when it was nice, sunny, and everything was in bloom. I spent the summer working outside to make extra cash in the evening after my real job and on weekends. A few days were to hot to work, but most were really nice, and I enjoyed being outside. I remember most of fall was nice, and I got in plenty of great outdoor activities. I know winter sucks though, but it makes spring, summer, and fall feel nicer.

Why is everybody (especially the older yinzers, 50 and above) so negative? That one guy (not going to say his name) acts like this is the most depressing miserable city, while comparing it to Philly................Like Philly's weather is soooo much nicer. Give me a crappy winter so I don't have to deal with hot as hell and humid summers.

Does anybody else find it extremely annoying when people who moved from the south feel the need to remind us that it is mild in the south right now? Does anybody else watch the weather, and see that the south also gets cold too? The jet stream drops down to Florida many times bringing in Canadian air as far down to Georgia all the time.

People from the south, we get it. You don't get as cold as the north. If you were here, I would give you a cookie. Enough is enough.

Besides, here is one of the few pictures that I caught after work in mid April last year. It will help you look forward to spring.
I can sense you're taking the weather thing a little personally. Pittsburgh has four season! Great! That's awesome! It's great you live there! I called it home for years and loved it. Now I love where I am now. We don't have much of a winter here. It's different - not better or worse. Just different. I'm under 45, so I'm sure you're not referring to me as one of those yinzers. LOL!!!

BTW, we were considering moving to Toronto for a time, a colder, gloomier place than Pittsburgh, but a city I love as well. So I'm not really hung up on winter. I mention it occasionally because it's something different I notice down here. I've only lived here a year, and sorry, but it's strange for me to be watching the Steelers in the playoffs and it not be snowing and/or cold outside.

Last edited by wordzgirl; 01-12-2009 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-12-2009, 12:21 PM

137 posts, read 354,068 times
Let them think it's too cold here who cares. We know different.... Best to stay here in Pittsburgh where our needs are being comfortably met and not concern yourself with the views of outsiders.....

Old 01-12-2009, 06:32 PM

105 posts, read 366,710 times
True story:
Last summer on a very bright sunny morning I got off the bus at Forbes and Craig in Oakland and decided to stop at Kiva Han for a coffee. It was such a nice day I decided to sit outside for a while and do some reading I needed to do. But all the empty chairs seemed to be directly in the line of the hot sun. I dragged a chair around a little and finally found a patch of shade. A woman sitting nearby eyed me curiously and I finally explained what I was doing. When she made a comment about how few sunny days we got and that I should enjoy it while it lasted, I said "actually I much prefer cloudy days; that's why I'm so happy to have moved to Pittsburgh." The look of bewilderment on her face was wonderful.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:23 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likepgh View Post
True story:
Last summer on a very bright sunny morning I got off the bus at Forbes and Craig in Oakland and decided to stop at Kiva Han for a coffee. It was such a nice day I decided to sit outside for a while and do some reading I needed to do. But all the empty chairs seemed to be directly in the line of the hot sun. I dragged a chair around a little and finally found a patch of shade. A woman sitting nearby eyed me curiously and I finally explained what I was doing. When she made a comment about how few sunny days we got and that I should enjoy it while it lasted, I said "actually I much prefer cloudy days; that's why I'm so happy to have moved to Pittsburgh." The look of bewilderment on her face was wonderful.
Mmmm.....Kiva Han

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l212/dugdogmaster/homer_simpson.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-13-2009, 01:11 AM

95 posts, read 208,004 times
What is a Yintzer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh