Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:38 PM

283 posts, read 597,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
If you intend to live in the city there isn't much. Forget about Bloomfield and Lawrenceville. They aren't safe and don't look too good either. Shadyside has always been the place to live in the city and you should be able to find a nice 2 BR there for $1100 or less and the same for Squirrel Hill.

Franklin West || Shadyside

classifieds - craigslist
BLoomfield and Lawrenceville "don't look nice"? I love the rowhome streets that go up through Lawerenceville into Bloomfield. Those neighborhoods are ONLY UNIQUE TO THEIRSELVES. Pittsburgh is one of the few cities in this country that have rowhomes like this. They are awesome looking in their own right. They got history and soul that I am sure your suburb couldn't get if it tried. They are also not perfect when it comes to crime, but they are not dangerous in anyway. YOu seem to know nothing about the city at all. I say stay in your suburb where it is probably typical to every place located outside a major city in this country. I have friends in Lawrenceville and Bloomfield, and hang out there late at night. I never felt a problem. I am with dougdogmaster, I can just shake my head at this statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 09:11 PM

285 posts, read 862,085 times
Do you know where you'll be working?

It's true that the east end of the city (Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Regent Square, Bloomfield, etc.) have the highest concentration of younger people due to the proximity of the big universities.

However, another neighborhood I didn't see mentioned in this thread is Mount Washington. The main drags are Grandview Avenue, with all the fancy, expensive restaurants with the view of downtown, and Shiloh Street, with a variety of little restaurants - pizza places, taverns, a nice coffee and ice cream shop, a Chinese place, etc. I have a friend in her mid-twenties who rents a nice little house, two blocks off of Shiloh Street. It's got a washer and dryer, nice-sized living room, dining room, and kitchen, and 3 bedrooms (one is large, two are on the smaller side - her roommate uses one as a bedroom and the other as an office). It's around 750 + utilities. She loves the neighborhood, and it's an easy commute to downtown, via driving or public transit. Plus, can't beat the view!

Last edited by Kate88; 01-12-2009 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: forgot a detail

Old 01-12-2009, 09:22 PM

29 posts, read 56,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate88 View Post
Do you know where you'll be working?

It's true that the east end of the city (Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Regent Square, Bloomfield, etc.) have the highest concentration of younger people due to the proximity of the big universities.

However, another neighborhood I didn't see mentioned in this thread is Mount Washington. The main drags are Grandview Avenue, with all the fancy, expensive restaurants with the view of downtown, and Shiloh Street, with a variety of little restaurants - pizza places, taverns, a nice coffee and ice cream shop, a Chinese place, etc. I have a friend in her mid-twenties who rents a nice little house, two blocks off of Shiloh Street. It's got a washer and dryer, nice-sized living room, dining room, and kitchen, and 3 bedrooms (one is large, two are on the smaller side - her roommate uses one as a bedroom and the other as an office). It's around 750 + utilities. She loves the neighborhood, and it's an easy commute to downtown, via driving or public transit. Plus, can't beat the view!
I am going to be working in Warrendale. It is looking about a 40min commute from shadyside. I don't mind the commute if I am going to enjoy the neighborhood.

I want to be able to enjoy the city and the neighborhood I live in. If I live outside the city I would like it to be a reasonable cab ride or train ride (not a fan of buses)

I will check out mount washington. The company that hired me has a service to help find housing but I wanted to know what the locals thought before dealing with an agent.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:35 PM

285 posts, read 862,085 times
Try looking at Sewickley. It's not in the city, more of a traditional, picturesque small town, but walkable and safe. It's got cute shops and cafes. No train service, but if you're driving, it's only about 20 minutes to Warrendale.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:39 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Since you mentioned Bellevue....

this looks nice, but I have not checked it out.

bldgamen

Old 01-13-2009, 08:02 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Bellevue's actually a nice little area. A friend of mine lives there, and it's got a nice walkable business district with restaurants and diners and a grocery store.

Pop City - Bellevue (http://www.popcitymedia.com/neighborhoods/belleview.aspx - broken link)

Old 01-13-2009, 10:13 AM

803 posts, read 2,970,234 times
Default On the SOUTH Side.....

You might also consider Mount Lebanon and Dormont... both areas fit what you mentioned, but are a bit more affordable, and also have easy access to downtown without having to get anywhere near the "Parkway"...

These communities are both listed here on City-Data so you can check the write ups, and also, I had a thread started on here about a year ago, when we almost moved to that area (also from NY). And, after living in Mt. Oliver for 6+ months, I wish we HAD moved to Mt. Lebanon, instead!!!

Old 01-13-2009, 10:58 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jer View Post
What are everyone's opinion of Bellevue? I will be working outside the city and Bellevue would allow a shorter commute while still be near the city.
The Bellevue and Westview areas are decent. You may want to try and get in touch with "jinxd_13" on this board. She relocated to that area from New Orleans and seems to be loving it. I haven't seen her around in a while though.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:48 PM

16 posts, read 45,628 times
you might check into oakmont a nice safe quiet yet lively suburb on the allegheny river. we have a great business district here with restaraunts many shops and boutiques a movie theater a book store and you could hop on the turnpike from here and be at work in 30 minutes or so. but if you dont want suburban than bloomfield is perfectly safe i spend alot of time there since i work in bloomfield and i wouldnt hesitate to live there if my wife didnt love oakmont so much

Old 01-14-2009, 12:48 PM

29 posts, read 56,663 times
Thanks everyone for the replies. We will continue to research the areas everyone has recommended.

One of the nicest things about our time in Denver has been our access to downtown and Lodo via the light rail. One of our concerns with some of the outlying areas is ease of access to the city. We like to go out to dinner and occasionally go to a pub. We are hoping to find an area with train or a reasonable cab fare to where the action is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh