U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-16-2009, 03:13 PM

151 posts, read 253,245 times
Default Basic moving questions! (and dog limitations)

Hi ya'll!

First of all, I apologize for the length of this! I posted on here last summer before we did a VERY quick overnight stay on our way back from visiting Milwaukee. Everyone was so helpful and I was encouraged by what I heard, but I never narrowed anything down because I wasn't sure if we would be moving or not. Now it looks like a move may be happening within the next year. My husband would be possibly working at Pitt, if it happens. When we visit this spring again, we will only have two full days to check out neighborhoods so I need some help narrowing it down. We would want to spend max $175k, hopefully less. A yard is a must, as is a walkable neighborhood, not right by an interstate or anything!

Like so many on City Data, I am wondering about good schools, safe and friendly neighborhoods and any other important info! I don't want any snobbery or pretentiousness, just kindness and friendly faces. I have also not been able to find much about dog laws in the area. I am very unsure about the separate boroughs/districts and where to find info. We have four rescued dogs (my husband and I each had two, then we got married!)- 2 very small (i.e. 7lb) Chihuahuas, a medium (45lb shepherd) and a black Lab (80lbs). Here in Charlotte, there is a 3 dog limit but we have never had any problems, as our dogs are always vaccinated, quiet, inside dogs and it's not like we have 4 Great Danes drawing the city's attention. I do not want to move into a house/neighborhood and then be told we need to give one or two up. We of course would sell before we would ever do that. Does anyone have a similar situation or know how it works up there? Do people even care?

We like (from what we see on-line) the Mount Lebanon area, but it seems a little pricey compared to other neighborhoods. I heard it's worth it though! Somebody recommended Blackridge to us but I read on here crime and poor schools are a major issue. South Hills was also mentioned as a good place, as was Brighton Heights. Any help is so appreciated!! No kids yet, but we are hoping for a baby in the next year or two and looking for a nice, walkable city to stroll in. It doesn't have to be a suburb or a separate town, we would love to live in the city if the area was right! Thank you!!!

Last edited by Luv4ThePaws; 01-16-2009 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: Forgot to include our housing price range!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 02:13 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,793,559 times
Stick to your original intuition. Mt Lebanon is rock solid as a community and is one of the last "walking" communities left. The light rail makes it attractive to anyone needing to commute into town. The Schools, well there are NONE better. Your future childeren will be by far better off in a district such as Mt Lebanon, where standards are very high and oportunity very wide spread.

It's not "pricey" unless you are looking specifically for a Large Home in a more exclusive part of town. It's not needed there. There is no "bad" part of Mt Lebanon. It's "up-town" district of shops is very nice, the proximity to shopping choices is excellent and Down Town is but a 20 minute drive in. The commute to Oakland isn't terrible either.

You just are NOT going to find a better place that is still a "WALKING" neighborhood. I can't be firm enough in telling you to re-consider Mt Lebanon. You will NOT find better for a famliy to be...

Old 01-20-2009, 08:17 AM

151 posts, read 253,245 times
Thank you so much for your honest and helpful post, SLamont! The hotel we booked for our stay next month is right next to Mt. Lebanon (we didn't plan that!) so we look forward to being close enough to get a feel for the area. I really do appreciate your reply and your insight! The town seems like everything we want in a community!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh