Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 05:57 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,699,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Are there really that many people that would drive a distance to go to a sporting goods store? Or is this like what an Apple store is to computer people?
We were in the Pocono's for our anniversary last year, and we came across the Cabela's in Hamburg PA. All I can say is I hope I can find the pictures. Think of a packed Giant Eagle times ten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 06:19 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,643,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue buddha View Post
don't know if you have heard about the bass pro shop that is currently located just outside of uniontown on route 40. i don't know if it is considered to be washington or somerset county however. it may be sponsored by another entity, but i recall seeing the bass pro shop shield hanging out front. hope this helps.
Hm. According to the Bass Pro Shops site, the closest one is in Harrisburg. These things are huge. It's a big, big construction project when they put Bass Pro or Cabela's in. I think we would know.

This thread began well over a year ago. I remember some chatter about Bass Pro locating north of the city, etc, sometime longer ago than that. I guess nothing fully came of it.

If you've never seen the Cabela's down in Wheeling, well, it's huge. Yes, it draws from many, many miles around. It's so big of a deal they put in a new freeway interchange just to accommodate it. And now there's more of a shopping center built up around it. But this store alone, well, it's two stories and probably has as much space in there as your average Walmart Super Center, except entirely filled with sporting goods and related items. Sometimes marginally related. Part of the place is a furniture department, for example. There's also a cafeteria restaurant inside. People go there and spend a few hours easily, especially since they probably came a long way just to see it. It's an attraction as much as it is a shop, at least for some.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:32 AM

780 posts, read 1,383,850 times
They also have several large animal displays (mounts) and aquariums that the kids enjoy. The aquariums have indigenous fish in them, there is a large hall with African mounts of all kinds (including an elephant, rhino, lions, crocs, etc), they have a huge "mtn" in the middle of the store with all the related north american animal mounts and they have an even bigger hall with replicas of some of the largest deer ever taken by hunting or roadkilled in north america (whitetails and mule deer). My kids loved it in there.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:33 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,058,276 times
I drove clear across Houston to go to Bass Pro Shops when it opened. It was rumored to have more selection and cheaper prices than REI. It didn't. It wasn't anything more than an over-sized Gander Mountain.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,658 times
Default bass in pa

A few years ago bass was looking to build along I-79 north of Washington Pa, by the medowlands exit, my understanding is they couldn't work out tax breaks like all businesses looks for. I was also told the store was going to be huge with indoor firing range for bow & firearms and bass needed a large amount of land but couldnt get an area where mine subsidence wouldnt be a problem. I read an artical about this some time ago, I'm thinking it was on bass pros web site but I dont remember for sure.
I would also love to see a bass store in the area, maybe they should look further north because they would be in a better outdoor area instead of city and may draw more from ohio and lake erie sportsman

Old 02-05-2012, 07:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Are there really that many people that would drive a distance to go to a sporting goods store?
Prior to closer store opens, I have driven to Gander Mountain near Greensburg when I couldn't find what I needed at Dicks and Dunhams.

I wish Eastern Mountain Sports would open a store in Western PA.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:09 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,643,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Prior to closer store opens, I have driven to Gander Mountain near Greensburg when I couldn't find what I needed at Dicks and Dunhams.

I wish Eastern Mountain Sports would open a store in Western PA.
There used to be an EMS store in Ross Park, but I don't know when it closed. I assume you know there's a Gander Mountain in Moon behind Super Kmart. It didn't open that much later than the Greensburg one as I recall.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:30 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,870,850 times
There's a GM by Century III as well.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:42 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
I was talking years ago. Plus, I head out east to the mountains more than I do west and south. I would consolidate with other trips.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:09 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,553,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
There used to be an EMS store in Ross Park, but I don't know when it closed. I assume you know there's a Gander Mountain in Moon behind Super Kmart. It didn't open that much later than the Greensburg one as I recall.
There's also a Gander Mountain near Century III in West Mifflin.

There used to be a Sportsman's Warehouse in Mt. Nebo Pointe. My Dad really liked that place, but they've since closed up shop.

Yeah, it seems as if the Bass Pro deal might be dead in the water. Washington County can sometimes be a Bermuda Triangle with things just vanishing. That Foundry development was also just forgotten about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh