U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 02:57 PM

949 posts, read 677,633 times
Default Bass Pro Shops, Yes? No? Maybe So?

My father has asked me about 9,000 times if I have heard anything in regard to Bass Pro Shops opening a Pittsburgh area store somewhere in the area of Washington County. I did a little research and have found that the store was supposed to be built, but to my knowledge there isn't even the slightest bit of construction for it. I emailed the company and the response I received told me to continually check their website for new store openings...uh huh.

SO...has anyone heard anything regarding a possible Bass Pro Shops in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 03:23 PM

16,426 posts, read 15,201,761 times
I would think they may be waiting to see how the economy shakes out. I do know the one here in Anne Arundel County, MD has not performed up to expectations. Hard to get to because of traffic and a generally anti-hunting/anti-gun population.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:37 PM

10,982 posts, read 12,463,060 times
I'm no expert, but...
wouldn't they have to be crazy to open a store in Washington when that humongous Cabela's is just down the highway in Wheeling?

Old 01-18-2009, 08:55 PM

542 posts, read 1,373,101 times
Cabela's does not compare to Bass Pro in my opinion. I saw that Cabela's the last time we drove to Pittsburgh. Bass Pro is better organized and a little more relaxing to shop at. I hope you do get a Bass Pro. I did most of my Christmas shopping there this year. A little something for everyone is in the store.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:14 AM

519 posts, read 1,647,537 times
Wouldn't it make more sense to make a Bass Pro Shops north of Pittsburgh so they would not have the competition from Cabela's?

Old 01-19-2009, 08:44 AM

2,082 posts, read 2,520,054 times
I've read about Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops, but I find it hard to imagine them bringing in that many people. Buffalo, NY was pinning their whole waterfront redevelopment on getting one of these places. Are there really that many people that would drive a distance to go to a sporting goods store? Or is this like what an Apple store is to computer people?

Old 01-19-2009, 08:55 AM

10,982 posts, read 12,463,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Are there really that many people that would drive a distance to go to a sporting goods store?
When Cabela's was talking about moving in, they were promised - and got - their own interchange off the interstate.

Yes, that many people go there...

Old 01-19-2009, 10:37 AM

949 posts, read 677,633 times
Here are some of the articles from where I got my information...

Outdoor World Retail Stores - Bass Pro Shops

Washington County lands Bass Pro - Pittsburgh Business Times:

I don't seem to find ANY source saying that the development has been put on hold, not going to happen, whatever. That is why it such a mystery to me...

Old 03-09-2010, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 8,020 times
don't know if you have heard about the bass pro shop that is currently located just outside of uniontown on route 40. i don't know if it is considered to be washington or somerset county however. it may be sponsored by another entity, but i recall seeing the bass pro shop shield hanging out front. hope this helps.

till then, ciao for now.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:43 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,466,189 times
I think better locations for Bass Pro would be at Pittsburgh Mills (with the waterpark coming in, a store like that could only benefit the mall) or in Greensburg where retail has exploded in the last 10 years and is in close proximity to the Laurel Highlands. Cranberry would be another good site for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh