U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 5,129 times
Default Swissvale/Wilkinsburg area?

I'm considering moving to Pittsburgh and would like to live close to CMU and University of Pittsburgh. I have lived in Brooklyn, NY for about 8 years so am used to an urban setting and am looking for something similar. I'd like to buy, but am on a limited budget. Any thoughts on the Swissvale/Wilkinsburg areas? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 01:12 PM

20 posts, read 117,042 times
I'd avoid Wilkinsburg. It's not a good area at all. Swissvale is better, and some of the East End neighborhoods in the City like Park Place and Regent Square are very nice.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:39 PM

41,707 posts, read 46,172,177 times
I agree completely with fmullner.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:37 PM

10,184 posts, read 18,233,729 times
I won't disagree with the two previous posters, but will say as a native New Yorker, I don't find Wilkinsburg as bad as locals. Housing there can be very iffy, but also very inexpensive. Also there are two sides to the borough--on either side of the tracks, so to speak, and one is far nicer than the other. In the poorer sector, you could find a house for under $50,000--but you are talking an area that looks and feels as East New York. In the nicer sector, nearer to Regents Square, you are talking about an area more like what the Midwood section looked like 40 years ago--big trees, large houses, decent sized backyards, etc. I believe housing in that area probably runs around $150,000 and up.

But remember I am not local, just the parent of an adult child that lives there who visits often. In fact, I am in Columbia, MO enroute to Pittsburgh now.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:38 PM

41,707 posts, read 46,172,177 times
I also agree with ontheroad. Wilkinsburg isn't that bad. There are other surrounding areas I'd be more comfortable walking down the street at night; however, I wouldn't be terrified to walk down the street at night in Wilkinsburg if my car broke down. Wilkinsburg is one of those places where the odds aren't completely against you. If you've got street smarts, you can live almost anywhere.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:32 PM

35,926 posts, read 55,158,806 times
"Isn't that bad" is relative. Even though there are worse areas somewhere in the world, Wilkinsburg is not a nice place. With plenty of safe and cheap places to live in Pittsburgh and surrounding areas, there's no reason to look in Wilkinsburg.

That said, there is actually a small corner of Wilkinsburg bordering Regent Square that's pretty nice. I wouldn't not buy in that part just because it's in Wilkinsburg (unless I had kids and couldn't afford private schools). But I wouldn't specifically look there either. If you're set on that particular area, I'd focus on Regent Square and the portions of suburban areas that immediately border it (Edgewood, Swissvale). Swissvale can get a little iffy too the further away from Regent Square you get.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:49 PM

10,184 posts, read 18,233,729 times
On and around Whitney is very nice and in walking distance to Forbes. I have friends who live on that street--all of whom are middle or upper middle class, one with a family of two young children, and two others who are single. My friends with the two children are very involved with the community and the wife is on the borough council. People are trying to make positive changes and that is always a good sign, don't ya think?

I wouldn't say, "not too bad" but rather "typical" but it is all in the eye and pocket-book of the beholder.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,000 times
Hi,

Does anyone know how I could find out the name of a luncheonette that used to be across from the Switch and Signal in the 1940s? thanks

Old 04-11-2007, 06:36 PM

7,283 posts, read 9,836,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winner3 View Post
Hi,

Does anyone know how I could find out the name of a luncheonette that used to be across from the Switch and Signal in the 1940s? thanks
Your first stop would be your local library. I don't know if you're living in Pittsburgh, but a library reference section might have older maps and telephone directories.

If you know the address of hte Switch and Signal, you can ascertain the address of the luncheonette, and check the phone directories.

Google Swissvale Historical Society and you will their website, too. they might be able to help you more.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:38 AM

16 posts, read 31,280 times
I have lived in Wilkinsburg for three months after spending the last 10 years in rural Vermont. While there are areas which may appear daunting, I have had nothing but positive experiences in my neighborhood. For $15,000 I was able to purchase a beautiful and intact home with decent systems, 12 stained glass windows, seven bedrooms and seven fireplaces. I can walk to shops and services and am only about a mile away from the co-op, Frick Museum and Trader Joes.

I have children and while my wife and I heard only negative things about the schools were pleasantly surprised when she and my daughter visited the two affordable private schools in Wilkinsburg and the public elementary school.

You asked about Swissvale. I work with the local CDC in Swissvale and like many of the Boroughs surrounding Pittsburgh, there are great areas and pockets in need of major reinvestment. Luckily for both Wilkinsburg and Swissvale, there are many people working to improve the communities and make them safe and decent places to live. I would have no problem recommending either place, but like previous posters, acknowledge that you need to use common sense no matter where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh