U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 11:38 AM

3,134 posts, read 5,584,258 times
The city is fine if you like a lower standard of living.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:58 AM

2,486 posts, read 955,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Yeah, I agree. People in Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Regent Square, Point Breeze among many others all have a much lower standard of living then people who live up in Wexford.

This forum is just insane half the time. Seriously, why would you classify 300,000 some people as "living/having lower standards". I am sorry, but living in a subdivision 10 miles from the nearest anything, with nothing to do but wax your SUV over and over again doesn't sound like a higher standard of living to me, and many other people.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:17 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,864,002 times
Sorry to disappoint you but I know the difference between Shadyside and the Slopes. I even lived in Shadyside for a few years. I also lived in Point Breeze. Both of which are nice neighborhoods. Although, I wouldn't call North Point Breeze a nice neighborhood. You can't buy a single family house in Shadyside for 80,000. With 80,000 to spend on a single family house, you probably can't get into Regent Square, Shadyside, the South Side Flats, the actual Mexican War Streets or Squirrell Hill. Maybe Highland Park or Friendship but then again there are some bad blocks there. These are nice city neighborhoods.

While many city neighborhoods are safe, I wouldn't call them nice. And only a few have been gentrified, at least in my opinion. Hopefully, Garfield will be gentrified but I doubt it will happen quickly, if at all. How long has it taken for the Mexican War Streets to come back? It has taken this long since the neighborhoods around it are so bad. Admittedly, the South Side was quicker but it is isolated from rough areas because of the river and the Slopes. It probably still took over a decade. Not too mention the fact that it was never as bad as Garfield. While Butler Street has been fixed up, thanks partly the to building facade program, there are still parts of Lawrenceville that are rough making it still an up and coming neighborhood. Any other areas that have been gentrified?

Old 01-30-2009, 12:23 PM

12,827 posts, read 10,000,498 times
I'd argue that if people don't invest in the city by living in the city, becoming involved with community groups, sending their children to public schools, working in the city, holding elected officials accountable how is any area going to be improved? The suburbs need the city to survive.

I think I have a high quality of life in the city. I'd have had to miss work today if not for public transportation. I'm close to the art house movie theaters and restaurants that I enjoy patronizing. My commute, when I do drive, is fairly short. Living in the suburbs would decreas my quality of life.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:36 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,270,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Living in the suburbs would decreas my quality of life.
I agree with this. I live in a city neighborhood that is far from "trendy" and never makes anyone's list of places to move in Pittsburgh, but I work downtown and am 4 1/2 miles from my office. I love that I can walk three blocks to the post office, library, and a middle eastern market, among other things. I love that my neighborhood is sidewalked and that I run into lots of people on my daily walks with my dog. My 1920s three bedroom bungalow cost me $90,000 three years ago. My neighborhood is safe, my neighbors are friendly, the bus stops around the corner and I can walk 3/4 mile to the "T". I grew up in the 'burbs and would never go back.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:48 PM

52 posts, read 137,340 times
Quote:
Yes, pity those whose suffer in the squalor of urban decay: Pittsburgh, PA Schenley Farms Historic District 7 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 01-30-2009, 12:53 PM

2,486 posts, read 955,969 times
^but they have to street park.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:28 PM

416 posts, read 912,308 times
Quote:
Did you forget the sarcastic smiley or are you serious?

Maybe a different standard of living, but lower??????

Old 01-30-2009, 01:30 PM

416 posts, read 912,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
I agree with this. I live in a city neighborhood that is far from "trendy" and never makes anyone's list of places to move in Pittsburgh, but I work downtown and am 4 1/2 miles from my office. I love that I can walk three blocks to the post office, library, and a middle eastern market, among other things. I love that my neighborhood is sidewalked and that I run into lots of people on my daily walks with my dog. My 1920s three bedroom bungalow cost me $90,000 three years ago. My neighborhood is safe, my neighbors are friendly, the bus stops around the corner and I can walk 3/4 mile to the "T". I grew up in the 'burbs and would never go back.
Brookline or Beechview?

Old 01-30-2009, 01:52 PM

47 posts, read 161,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Xix View Post
I live in the Seattle area and of all the major metropolitan areas that I have seen around the country, the Pittsburgh area is BY FAR AND AWAY the cheapest. Why?
It just hasn't become trendy to move to Pittsburgh yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh