Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 02:19 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
The city is fine if you like a lower standard of living.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Yeah, I agree. People in Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Regent Square, Point Breeze among many others all have a much lower standard of living then people who live up in Wexford.

This forum is just insane half the time. Seriously, why would you classify 300,000 some people as "living/having lower standards". I am sorry, but living in a subdivision 10 miles from the nearest anything, with nothing to do but wax your SUV over and over again doesn't sound like a higher standard of living to me, and many other people.

Maybe we need to get you two at a local pub to settle it like men. I'm trying to think of one right on the City/County line.

I grew up in a small town urban type setting, I now live in the Great White North Suburbs. To me it's a toss up, I liked being able to walk to a ton of things, but now I like living on a wooded 2 acre lot.

To each his own.

But I can parallel park like nobody else!!!

Old 01-30-2009, 02:30 PM

84 posts, read 259,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbomb View Post
It just hasn't become trendy to move to Pittsburgh yet.
The trend has started! You are just too blind to see it!

Old 01-30-2009, 04:01 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,774,703 times
I moved to Pittsburgh. I am a definite trendsetter.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:10 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Brookline or Beechview?
Brookline.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:05 PM

893 posts, read 2,862,388 times
If only I could pick Pittsburgh up and put it on the east side of PA so it would be closer to the family.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:22 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Xix View Post
I live in the Seattle area and of all the major metropolitan areas that I have seen around the country, the Pittsburgh area is BY FAR AND AWAY the cheapest. Why? High Crime? 40% unemployment? Taxes unrealistic? Houses I see for 80k go for 500k here. I am serious!!

Also, from what I see in pics, many areas look fairly desirable. My questions are basically, what suburbs and Counties tend to be hilly and/or have trees in the Greater Pittsburgh area? I like suburbs; ya know, quiet neighborhoods but still stuff going on(shopping centers, libraries etc.) with people around.

Even after all of the layoffs at Boeing, Amazon and Microsoft come in to play here and the housing market "bottoms"(although it really hasnt come down that much here), I will still NEVER be able to afford a even shack here.

Thanks,
Noobie Poster
First of all, you're comparing 'apples to oranges' here. Seattle is one of the, if not the most, educated city in America. Where Pittsburgh is still a very 'blue collar' city.

The city of Pittsburgh is not cheap, it's an illusion. Let me clarify what I just said. If you want ANYTHING nice (home), it will not be cheap. Not to mention the property taxes and wage tax that will go along with that.

The difference between Pittsburgh and most other major cities, is the options Pittsburgh has, as far as 'beat up homes'. A row house in Lawerenceville can be bought for 20 grand. But, and this is a BIG but, how many people would want to live in it? And how much would you have to dump into it for it to be 'liveable'? I hope you don't think it will have alot of sq footage either. And here's another question, do you actually think you'll be able to get back out of it, what you stick into it?

You won't have that problem in neighborhoods like Shadyside. But here again, you ain't getting a 'cheap house' there either.

You can't look at a decent house, in a decent neighborhood, in another city, then say how cheap Pittsburgh is cause there's 20 thousand dollar houses all over the city (in lousy neighborhoods). A 'nice' house in Shadyside will cost alot more than 20 grand, not to mention the big property tax you will pay on it, and lets not forget about the 3% wage tax (where most cities don't have).

Old 01-31-2009, 01:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
^^^I would say the above is true in most city to city comparaisons. We have some frineds who have lived in a lot of places, they have said as much. If you find a house at a rock bottom price online, go out there and take a look at it before you send a check.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:17 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
I write about demographics and real estate. Pittsburgh has both cheap and expensive areas. An average price - would not be too helpful in comparing it with other places. Sure every city has cheap and expensive areas however the differences in Pittsburgh are more pronounced than say Buffalo or Detroit.

Taking that into account Detroit is generally much cheaper - houses can be bought for under $5 a sq foot. Taxes are higher. Buffalo also is cheaper and taxes higher. Youngstown is cheaper.

Most other places are more expensive. Sure Seattle has more education but basically its a supply demand issue. More people keep moving to Seattle while Pittsburgh is stagnant at best.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:20 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
The city of Pittsburgh is not cheap, it's an illusion. Let me clarify what I just said. If you want ANYTHING nice (home), it will not be cheap. Not to mention the property taxes and wage tax that will go along with that.

).
If you choose to live in Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, or the Oakland area, yes the homes are quite expensive. But you can still purchase a nice home in areas like Greentree City, Morningside, Greenfield, and Swisshelm Park for under 100K. The taxes will be in the 2900 range which is affordable. I will agree that the 3% wage tax is a killer. That's what Pgh needs to get under control before I'd consider moving there.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:03 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
But you can still purchase a nice home in areas like Greentree City, Morningside, Greenfield, and Swisshelm Park for under 100K. The taxes will be in the 2900 range which is affordable.
Depends upon your definition of "nice." Anything under $100,000 in those neighborhoods will likely need extensive renovations and updates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh