U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-05-2009, 12:07 AM

1,526 posts, read 2,151,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Xix View Post
I live in the Seattle area and of all the major metropolitan areas that I have seen around the country, the Pittsburgh area is BY FAR AND AWAY the cheapest. Why? High Crime? 40% unemployment? Taxes unrealistic? Houses I see for 80k go for 500k here. I am serious!!

Also, from what I see in pics, many areas look fairly desirable. My questions are basically, what suburbs and Counties tend to be hilly and/or have trees in the Greater Pittsburgh area? I like suburbs; ya know, quiet neighborhoods but still stuff going on(shopping centers, libraries etc.) with people around.

Even after all of the layoffs at Boeing, Amazon and Microsoft come in to play here and the housing market "bottoms"(although it really hasnt come down that much here), I will still NEVER be able to afford a even shack here.

Thanks,
Noobie Poster
It's ghetto.

Unread 02-05-2009, 12:08 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,750,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
I've lived on the westside of Chicago, South Philly (they ain't all italians), different places on the northside of the burgh, etc, etc. This guys coming from Seattle Drover, you ever been there? It's alot different than the cities back east. That's why I was giving him a heads up. Seattle is probably the whitest city in America (major one that is).

So please spare me that "not white enough". I've dated women of all colors, including black. Pittsburgh is alot rougher looking than Seattle, period!
Wow, I had to respond to this one, the whitest city (or out the 40 largest areas) in the USA is..........
Pittsburgh.
http://isteve.blogspot.com/2009/01/u...rtland_25.html

Unread 02-05-2009, 12:10 AM

479 posts, read 522,932 times
Quote:
That mile your talking about, what end of Morningside did you clock that?
It's 1.34 miles from Morningside (the Highland Park end) to the Market District Giant Eagle in Shadyside; even from the center of Morningside it's at most 2 miles.

Unread 02-05-2009, 12:23 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,816,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardandupward View Post
Blawnox is definitely NOT a scummy area. It's a small town on the Allegheny River - lots of antique stores, kind of quaint, quite safe, and as I said, in the Fox Chapel school district.

Everything is relative. In a good school district in D.C., these same small houses would go for $400k.

I live in a 100+ year old house, with gorgeous pocket doors, fireplaces and hardwood floors. I could easily drop $20k on re-doing my ancient bathroom (if I had it -lol), but you know what? It works. Is it pretty? It's pretty ugly - but it works.

Agreed. But not everyone has $150k. A $100k mortgage even with taxes would cost less than a 2 bedroom apartment in a nice area. So getting even a small 2/3 bedroom house in a nice area could be a smarter idea than paying rent.
You can't compare a house in DC to one in Pittsburgh, just can't do it. First of all, most working stiffs cant buy homes in a decent nade in the DC proper. So in return, alot of your home owners there are educated/professional types. Alot different class of people than you'll find in Pittsburgh's average home market.

I'm not knocking the people of Pittsburgh either. But there's a big difference as I stated before because of all the cheap housing options. How many cities could someone working as 'cashier' be a homeowner? I'm not knocking anyone working as a cashier or any other job. But, you can't deny the fact that they're going to think, act, and relate to different things than someone who's educated would.

So the same house in DC might go for 400k, where's in Pittsburgh it'd go for a 100k, difference being is the homeowners themselves. Same thing goes for Seattle too, alot different crowd out there. Someone who can't afford to own in Seattle, might not like to be a homeowner in Pittsburgh because of social/economic class (even if you gave them a home). That's unless maybe they could afford the Shayside's of Pittsburgh. Someone coming from the Queene Anne nabe of Seattle probably wouldn't like Lawerenceville or nabes similiar. Of course I'm just generalizing here, and not talking about everyone from Seattle or similiar cities. But do you actually believe that someone who spent their entire life in San Fransico, would leap at the chance to live in Pittsburgh cause of the home prices?

That's why you can't really compare cities of a different nature. Now, compare Pittsburgh's realestate prices to Buffalo, Cleveland or Cinnci, there's alot more common ground. But DC and Pittsburgh? I know you were only saying in terms of realestate. But the all the social/economics come into play when you talk about home ownership. If you lived in DC or other cities like Seattle or San Fran, I'm sure you understand what I'm talking about. This is, probably the ONLY reason Pittsburgh hasn't ever become 'hip' on the national level. Alot of people would rather rent in 'those' other cities, than be homeowners in Pittsburgh.

Unread 02-05-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardandupward View Post
It's 1.34 miles from Morningside (the Highland Park end) to the Market District Giant Eagle in Shadyside; even from the center of Morningside it's at most 2 miles.
4 mile round trip isn't exactly an easy walk now is it? Sorry, but Morningside is NOT a walkable neighborhood. Bloomfield is, Morningside is not! City living without walkability? What's the point?

I do remember years ago they had a Stumps grocery store, I think a Rite Aid, a bar or two, and a barber shop there. Not much else though, I personally never liked Morningside, too bland for my taste.

Unread 02-05-2009, 12:39 AM

34,886 posts, read 50,465,191 times
The point of city living without walkability is that even if it's not walkable, everything you need is still clustered together much more tightly and you can get a lot more done in a lot less driving time. Plus biking and public transportation are still more viable options where basic services and amenities are clustered more tightly together. Then there's the twelve-minute-commute-to-downtown factor you get from Morningside that you just don't get from Cranberry.

Unread 02-05-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The point of city living without walkability is that even if it's not walkable, everything you need is still clustered together much more tightly and you can get a lot more done in a lot less driving time. Plus biking and public transportation are still more viable options where basic services and amenities are clustered more tightly together. Then there's the twelve-minute-commute-to-downtown factor you get from Morningside that you just don't get from Cranberry.
Now see what you just did, you went from one extreme to another. You went from Morningside ALL the way out to Cranberry (is Cranberry even in Allegheny county?). Try a commute from Shaler or the lower areas of Ross Township into downtown. I'm sorry, take out walkability, and city living loses it's appeal to me. Plus in the burbs, you'll get a bigger home, bigger yards, with better schools, 1% wage tax as opposed to 3%.

Living in Chicago, when I lived right by the lake, I went there all the time (cause I walked). I moved 5 miles west of it, and I went there way LESS. That's normally what happens, a FEW miles can make a BIG difference.

But you jumping all the way out to Cranberry, is silly. I really do think that's a different county out there.

Unread 02-05-2009, 01:01 AM

34,886 posts, read 50,465,191 times
OK, replace "Cranberry" with "Baldwin" or "Turtle Creek" or "Wexford." The general point is the same: the sheer variety of stuff to see/do/experience/etc. that the city core has to offer is still far more easily accessible from an inner city neighborhood than these places. Not everyone wants a bigger home or a bigger yard (we are talking about convenience here, right?) or needs better schools.

And since we have both lived in both places, we both know that driving 5 miles in Chicago is generally a much bigger pain in the ass than driving 5 miles in Pittsburgh. Apples, oranges, etc.

Unread 02-05-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
OK, replace "Cranberry" with "Baldwin" or "Turtle Creek" or "Wexford." The general point is the same: the sheer variety of stuff to see/do/experience/etc. that the city core has to offer is still far more easily accessible from an inner city neighborhood than these places. Not everyone wants a bigger home or a bigger yard (we are talking about convenience here, right?) or needs better schools.

And since we have both lived in both places, we both know that driving 5 miles in Chicago is generally a much bigger pain in the ass than driving 5 miles in Pittsburgh. Apples, oranges, etc.
Wexford? That's the suburb right before Cranberry! lol Baldwin, you mean in the south hills? Turtle creek? Are you trying to list suburbs that are the furthest away or have really hard commutes into downtown?

How about someone who lives off Mcknight Road? Pretty easy commute into downtown, along with having a ton of stuff right along Mcknight Road at their finger tips.

See, to me, Morningside feels like a suburb with the benefits of one. Maybe that nabe is right up your alley, it's not for me though.

5 miles of city driving in Chicago didn't feel any different to me. In fact, I think Pittsburgh has more red lights cause the city blocks are smaller. It's been years since I've been in Pittsburgh, but I don't remember a difference. Now the Dan Ryan, ya that's a different story.

The only "apples and organges", are the ones you brought to the table.

Unread 02-05-2009, 01:24 AM

479 posts, read 522,932 times
Quote:
You can't compare a house in DC to one in Pittsburgh, just can't do it. First of all, most working stiffs cant buy homes in a decent nade in the DC proper. So in return, alot of your home owners there are educated/professional types. Alot different class of people than you'll find in Pittsburgh's average home market.
You've said in previous posts that it's been over 20 years since you've lived in Pittsburgh. I'm not sure you realize how much has changed statistically in those 20 years - we're much less of a blue collar city now. In the latest rankings of cities' populations' educational attainment, Pittsburgh ranked 17th. Seattle and San Diego were tied for 15th and 16th, and D. C. ranked 13th - not a whole lot of difference between them.

Source: America's Most Literate Cities of 2008
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh