Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2007, 06:07 AM

52 posts, read 213,534 times

Advertisements

I will be moving into the area in the fall and am looking for, yes, safe, affordable but also pet friendly. I am going to UPitt so it should be someplace close or a bus ride away from the area. I prefer quite, coffee shops, co-ops, local shops yada yada kind of place. More Brooklyn style living than Manhattan style (ok so not everyone will get the connection). I know nothing about the neighborhoods except that everyone keeps buzzing about Squirrell Hill, Shadyside, Friendship...maybe I'm missing one. Any suggestions? Info re: the areas/neighborhoods. Any areas you love more than others? Another question, when should I start looking I am looking to rent for August. Yes, I am renting not buying yet which is a bummer but oh well. Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 09:22 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,255 times
There are some affordable places outside of the Oakland area on the busline, on the outskirts of the city...not the nicest looking places but you could prolly rent a nice safe studio place for 600 a month, maybe. It will be nothing like NY...but you will be able to get coffee and some nice amenities there. Maybe you could rent a place with an elder? Room for free with your pet and take care of them and go rent free? Good luck on your move!

Old 03-15-2007, 11:11 AM

Default But that is exactly what I am running away from

A manhattan feel. I can't deal with that. I like a small community, residential feel. I am thinking here of Cambridge, Mass; Park Slope, Brooklyn, Madison, Wisconsin, yada yada. Is there anything like that? Do you know what I mean?

Thanks!

Sus

Old 03-16-2007, 05:22 AM

269 posts, read 1,054,715 times
I had posted about moving a while back, and after visiting the area, we really liked Squirrel Hill and Regent Square. Both of these neighborhoods border Frick Park which has trails and two off-leash areas for dogs!
The real estate is higher in these areas, so I assume the same is true for rent. These are both east of CMU, so they may be too far from Pitt for you. I've heard great things about Shadyside (but is more expensive), and most people suggest living in Oakland if you're a student. Close but we didn't really care for it.
Good luck with your search.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I think you'll like Bloomfield best. It's Pittsburgh's Italian neighborhood. The business district in Bloomfield is the closest thing you'll find in Pittsburgh to what you enjoy in Brooklyn. You'll want to live in next door Friendship though.. The houses on the streets in Friendship have a more suburban feel than in Bloomfield (where the houses are very close together), but you'll still be able to walk to the neigbhoring stores in Bloomfield (just blocks away). Keep in mind, nothing is going to be as big as Brooklyn in Pittsburgh. If you live in Friendship, you can walk to the business districts in Bloomfield, Shadyside and East Liberty (where there's a Whole Foods and a Trader Joes).

Here's a picture of Bloomfield's business district: http://www.virtourist.com/america/pittsburgh/47.htm
Here's some more info on Bloomfield: http://www.studentaffairs.cmu.edu/pghconnections/neighborhoods/bloomfield.html (broken link)
http://www.pittsburghneighborhoodtou...il.asp?nTour=7
Here's the city council website with info on Bloomfield: http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/dis...loomfield.html
Click on the Friendship link on the right side and you'll see a picture of the houses in Friendship (which literally runs behind the bloomfield business district): http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/dis...riendship.html
More on Friendship: http://pittsburgh.about.com/library/...friendship.htm

Shadyside is nice but it will be expensive. Many of the stores in that area are upscale chain stores, not really what you want. Also, the shopping area isn't very big, but there are some cool restaurants. If you live in Friendship, you'll be able to walk to the Shadyside area so you can have the best of both Bloomfield and Shadyside if you live in Friendship.

Regent Square has a neighborhood feel with a small business district, but it's really small and not as convenient to the universities.

Squirrel Hill has the largest shopping district and the surrounding neighborhood has a suburban feel. The main shopping strip on Forbes is mundane these days while trying to be upscale, but the shops on Murray Avenue have more of the privately owned feel with a more neighborhood feeling to the stores. Squirrel Hill is known as Pittsburgh's Jewish neighborhood.

Last edited by Hopes; 03-16-2007 at 06:55 AM..

Old 03-17-2007, 10:03 AM

All those I have heard of and sounds good. I will definitely check out Bloomfield. What about Regent? Any thoughts? Also, I keep looking at craigslist but nothing appealing yet. Where else can I look at other than the Gazette? Are there any students in the area who can suggest when to actually start looking for an August apt? Thanks!

Sus

Old 03-17-2007, 02:02 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
When I close my eyes, and say, "Brooklyn" nothing in Pittsburgh magically appears.

Squirrel Hill may be leaning toward, but not identical to Cobble Hill or perhaps Carroll Gardens.

Shadyside may be leaning toward, but not identical to Park Slope with a little bit of the UWS thrown in.

Bloomfield is sort of like Bensonhurst or Bay Ridge with a Polish flair. I did have some good pastries to go from a cafe on my last trip; rate it well.

Lawrenceville is a sluggish Williamsburg. It does have a cafe with good coffee and some fine salads.

Friendship and East Liberty are both more like Sunset Park but somewhat more upscale and similar to the area in the upper 50s with the trees and they probably have more ambiance.

Regents Square is what Midwood was like 30 or 40 years ago: neighbourhood shops, but not many, with private houses and tree lined streets.

Oakland is a mini-village on one corner of Forbes with an art store, a private cafe and one of those S-bucks.

I like the East Side and all those neighbourhoods I listed are on that side of Pittsburgh. It has a food co-op, a couple of markets and better than average public transportation (bus only).

What part of Brooklyn do you like? I like Park Slope, most days and Carroll Garden and Cobble Hill. I don't like Williamsburg or the Bens.

I think most places are reasonably pet friendly. My daughter has always owned a dog and I don't recall any problems with rentals. She now owns.
Several good dog walking areas in the Regents Square area and the Park is a wonderful place for a good run.

I certainly know Brooklyn better than Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susecita View Post
I will be moving into the area in the fall and am looking for, yes, safe, affordable but also pet friendly. I am going to UPitt so it should be someplace close or a bus ride away from the area. I prefer quite, coffee shops, co-ops, local shops yada yada kind of place. More Brooklyn style living than Manhattan style (ok so not everyone will get the connection). I know nothing about the neighborhoods except that everyone keeps buzzing about Squirrell Hill, Shadyside, Friendship...maybe I'm missing one. Any suggestions? Info re: the areas/neighborhoods. Any areas you love more than others? Another question, when should I start looking I am looking to rent for August. Yes, I am renting not buying yet which is a bummer but oh well. Thanks for the info!

Last edited by ontheroad; 03-17-2007 at 02:42 PM..

Old 03-17-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Park Slope, Owning, and renting

I loved all the neighborhoods you mentioned. Not a Williamsburg fan although would not mind living in an area similar. I am more of a Park Slope fan right on 8th and 7th Ave....oh and First street always loved it. Geez I feel like such a snob on a beer budget. LOL. Yes, it seems to me like Shady, Squirrel might be my cup of tea. I also know I should be living on the east side because it fits the bill. I don't know why I keep going back to PSlope. I lived there for 2 yrs and I have lived in MANY places (Manhattan, Puerto Rico, Connecticut, Mass, now Wisconsin) and I always think of Park Slope when I think of the place I want to settle into. I would love to buy...in fact am considering as we speak...however, you do your calcs and I am not sure I would be able to buy on a grad student budget...then again mortgage would probably come to the same rent would and I might rent a room or two. Owining is still a possibility but it always seems like a scary step.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:53 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
I lived on 8th Avenue at 3rd Street for about a half dozen years; and most recently before leaving NYC, I lived in Carroll Gardens. In some ways, I preferred CG - more ethnic in a most positive way and one of the greatest grocery shops on the Avenue, but not as complete as the Armenian shop on 7th Avenue. I have a halvah habit that is hard to fulfill. I did find some great halvah in a Greek shop in Squirrel Hill and that fabulous imported Greek yoghurt. I could live on those two alone!

Even if money is an issue, you might still be able to find a good place that suits you short term; then think about Pittsburgh in general as a permanent or semi-permanent home and if you decide to stay find a way to buy. I'm always the optimist!

I need a good library, an art store, good food and internet access and cafes for all the coffee that keeps my fingers going.

I found a few places to rent, on a temporary basis, through craigs--but I posted a request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susecita View Post
I loved all the neighborhoods you mentioned. Not a Williamsburg fan although would not mind living in an area similar. I am more of a Park Slope fan right on 8th and 7th Ave....oh and First street always loved it. Geez I feel like such a snob on a beer budget. LOL. Yes, it seems to me like Shady, Squirrel might be my cup of tea. I also know I should be living on the east side because it fits the bill. I don't know why I keep going back to PSlope. I lived there for 2 yrs and I have lived in MANY places (Manhattan, Puerto Rico, Connecticut, Mass, now Wisconsin) and I always think of Park Slope when I think of the place I want to settle into. I would love to buy...in fact am considering as we speak...however, you do your calcs and I am not sure I would be able to buy on a grad student budget...then again mortgage would probably come to the same rent would and I might rent a room or two. Owining is still a possibility but it always seems like a scary step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh