Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 06:37 PM

4 posts, read 18,401 times

Advertisements

Heya-

I grew up in Pittsburgh, just moved back from the great state of Texas- it's good to be home!

I've been a waitress for over three years now, and I'm currently looking for a solid server job. So all my service industry comrades should shout out the best and worst places to carry a tray in this town.

Job leads would also be enthusiastically followed and appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 8,147 times
best-worst place to work.... hoffbrahaus pittsburgh. Pros: great money Cons: there is better management at a gas station, the food blows, the whole place smells like beer farts after 10 pm, if someone dips out on a check you are responsible to pay for their tab, they fire people for anything (just ask anyone in the pittsburgh unemployment dept), the managers dont have your back at all if a guest touches you inappropriately or punches you in the face they will probable get a gift card and you will get a pink slip... lol.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:12 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,197,310 times
Eat n Park is always busy, the old people particularly love it.

They have to be good to their staff, if they weren't they wouldn't have survived and thrived as long as they have- considering the traditional turnover in the restaurant biz.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:43 PM

439 posts, read 1,467,168 times
Outback steakhouse in upper saint Clair tonight. Got here at 7pm, got food at 8:20, still waiting for the check.......many people have walked out on their bill tonight.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,605,736 times
Based on when my son was working in restaurants as a student, I'll warn you to avoid restaurants that advertise constantly on Craig's List. When I say constantly, I mean constantly. There are restaurants that advertise for the same positions every few weeks---over and over and over. They can't keep people because the work environment and/or owners/managers are so bad.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:49 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,211,799 times
Avoid The Pine. My brother worked there and had plenty of stories. The owner is a jerk and a tightwad, most of the staff quite over the course of a few months including the chef.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:50 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,683,043 times
In college, in another city, I waited tables at a pub that was part of a hotel. In addition to great tips, I made normal minimum wage for the city (not the pittance that servers get), as I was employed by the hotel not the bar itself, AND I got full benefits (healthcare, dental, 401K with employer-matching contributions, etc.).

It was a rude awakening when I graduated and got a "real job." I was bringing home less money, and my benefits were inferior.

If I ever were to wait tables again, I would seek out oppurtunities in a hotel. Unions seem pretty popular here, so I wouldn't be surprised if hotel employees had even better salary/benefits than what I was fortunate enough to receive at my non-union hotel.

Last edited by Kippy; 05-12-2011 at 11:13 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 07:07 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,764,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsberger View Post
best-worst place to work.... hoffbrahaus pittsburgh. Pros: great money Cons: there is better management at a gas station, the food blows, the whole place smells like beer farts after 10 pm, if someone dips out on a check you are responsible to pay for their tab, they fire people for anything (just ask anyone in the pittsburgh unemployment dept), the managers dont have your back at all if a guest touches you inappropriately or punches you in the face they will probable get a gift card and you will get a pink slip... lol.
Most bars that sell that amount of beer is going to smell like beer. Most bars have the tabs the responsibility of the server. In a place that huge, there is no way to control all that. Servers need to be aware of who they are dealing with since they are on the front lines. To expect managers to know every table and all the people walking around would be impossible. The place is way too big for that.

HB is a huge place and you can't expect a place with that kind of volume to act like a hometown bar. I think they do a great job for such a giant and the outside area is great. You could make good money there if you are a good server.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:19 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,484,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Most bars that sell that amount of beer is going to smell like beer. Most bars have the tabs the responsibility of the server. In a place that huge, there is no way to control all that. Servers need to be aware of who they are dealing with since they are on the front lines. To expect managers to know every table and all the people walking around would be impossible. The place is way too big for that.

HB is a huge place and you can't expect a place with that kind of volume to act like a hometown bar. I think they do a great job for such a giant and the outside area is great. You could make good money there if you are a good server.
As a sidenote: each time I've been there "late night", they've had multiple security guards on duty, so that should help, too.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:54 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,764,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
As a sidenote: each time I've been there "late night", they've had multiple security guards on duty, so that should help, too.
Yeah, when you deal in a business that size it isn't the same type of thing as some local bar. I think overall they do a good job considering the size of that place. It is fun to enjoy a huge beer and they are about the only ones around that serve beer that size!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh