U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-15-2009, 06:15 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,898,366 times
Winters here are gloomy, but summers are quite nice. Last year, we had a stretch of nearly all sunny days from about July-early October.

I think people focus too much on raw stats to try to "prove" how cloudy it is here. For example, today was a rather decent day for mid-February. We had on and off sunshine throughout the day, with some lake effect snow flurries. Sometimes the flurries were falling as the sun was out and it was quite beautiful. But today will go down in the record books as a cloudy day with precip, so someone can look up the stats for this date and say "see, another miserable day in Pittsburgh!"

I moved up here from Florida, and I actually like the weather here, however if you "really like sunshine" this may not be the place for you.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:26 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,046 posts, read 1,873,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I think people focus too much on raw stats to try to "prove" how cloudy it is here. For example, today was a rather decent day for mid-February. We had on and off sunshine throughout the day, with some lake effect snow flurries. Sometimes the flurries were falling as the sun was out and it was quite beautiful. But today will go down in the record books as a cloudy day with precip, so someone can look up the stats for this date and say "see, another miserable day in Pittsburgh!"
Exactly - those "cloudy day" stats often give the impression that the sun was only seen 55 times a year, which is ridiculous. There are plenty of days that start out cloudy but end up sunny or vice versa, but the stats have a hard time capturing them. Pittsburgh has a good deal of overcast / cloudy days - I am not disputing this fact. Just realize that the stats don't portrait what its like to live here or how much you really see the sun.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:35 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,881,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Exactly - those "cloudy day" stats often give the impression that the sun was only seen 55 times a year, which is ridiculous. There are plenty of days that start out cloudy but end up sunny or vice versa, but the stats have a hard time capturing them. Pittsburgh has a good deal of overcast / cloudy days - I am not disputing this fact. Just realize that the stats don't portrait what its like to live here or how much you really see the sun.
At the same time though, 'those stats', are used in the same way to describe how "sunny" other cities are too. Having travelled all over the country, believe me, as a major metro area, it don't get much "gloomier" than Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh has some great things going for it, but "sun" ain't one of them.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Winters here are gloomy, but summers are quite nice. Last year, we had a stretch of nearly all sunny days from about July-early October.

I moved up here from Florida, and I actually like the weather here, however if you "really like sunshine" this may not be the place for you.
"If you really like "sunshine" this may not be the place for you"? "May not"?, more like "Pittsburgh is NOT the place for you". If he'd be bummed out in Seattle cause of the weather, he'd be bummed out in Pittsbugh cause of the weather too.

Seattle's summer weather is second to no other city by the way. That's if you like low humidity and temps in the mid to upper 70's most of July and Aug. Sure it'll get into the 80's, and even a day here or there in the 90's. But the night's still drop of into the mid or upper 50's. Not great for swimming outdoors, but great for being outside that's for sure!

Old 02-15-2009, 08:40 PM

2,405 posts, read 2,804,132 times
It's true that Seattle and Pittsburgh are both overcast, and Pittsburgh probably gets as much or more rainfall (in inches), but there's nothing like Seattle winters. It's the dankness and the CONSTANT bone-chilling WET and darkness and misty rain falling out of the sky. I'll take Pittsburgh's daily snow and subzero temperatures any day. I spent five winters in Seattle (and four in San Francisco, where it's similar rain-wise, but with more sun) and never got used to it. By the end of my first winter here, I had totally adapted. Hope this helps.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:27 PM

94 posts, read 250,651 times
Whoever said that Pittsburgh is second in the country in being overcast is an idiot.

While Pittsburgh is certainly not the most sunny city in the US, its far from the worst.

And while Philly does have more sunshine, it doesnt have much more.

According to the government ran National Climatic Data Center website, the most overcast city in the USA is Juneau, Alaska, which receives only 30% of the annual possible sunshine. Other very cloudy cities include Quillayute, Wash.; Elkins, W.Va.; Hilo, Hawaii; and Anchorage.

Here is a full list... the first number is the number of years the report has been ongoing, and the number under the month is the % of days that City recieves sunlight for that month.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...ccd/pctpos.txt

Pittsburgh is around the middle of the pack.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReason View Post
Whoever said that Pittsburgh is second in the country in being overcast is an idiot.

While Pittsburgh is certainly not the most sunny city in the US, its far from the worst.

And while Philly does have more sunshine, it doesnt have much more.

According to the government ran National Climatic Data Center website, the most overcast city in the USA is Juneau, Alaska, which receives only 30% of the annual possible sunshine. Other very cloudy cities include Quillayute, Wash.; Elkins, W.Va.; Hilo, Hawaii; and Anchorage.

Here is a full list... the first number is the number of years the report has been ongoing, and the number under the month is the % of days that City recieves sunlight for that month.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...ccd/pctpos.txt

Pittsburgh is around the middle of the pack.
"Idiot"? Or didn't I say "second as far as MAJOR METRO AREA"! All the cities you listed, NOT ONE is considered a "MAJOR METRO CITY", NOT ONE!

I've lived in Philly, and I can tell you that it's WAAAAAAAAAY more sunny than Pittsburgh!

Pittsburgh is in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM IN THE "middle of the pack" in terms of "major metro areas". You obviously haven't gotten 'out of Dodge' too much, or you really wouldn't need a 'stat' to know that Pittsburgh has some of the gloomiest weather in the country! ......

Old 02-15-2009, 11:49 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,252,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicknpotpie View Post
Is it true that pittsburgh weather is gloomy? The reason I didn't want to move to seattle is the reputed lack of sunshine. I really like sunshine. Can anyone describe how bad it is in pittsburgh?

I heard that Arizona, New Mexico, west Texas and southern California and other western states have a lot of sunshine. I am not trying to be Captain Obvious, but the northeast is generally gloomy in winter. If Pittsburgh has a few more gloomy days than a city like New York or Philly, the difference is marginal in the winter months. If you want three hundred plus sunny days a year, it is better to go west, just not the Pacific NorthWEST.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
I heard that Arizona, New Mexico, west Texas and southern California and other western states have a lot of sunshine. I am not trying to be Captain Obvious, but the northeast is generally gloomy in winter. If Pittsburgh has a few more gloomy days than a city like New York or Philly, the difference is marginal in the winter months. If you want three hundred plus sunny days a year, it is better to go west, just not the Pacific NorthWEST.
It is not "marginal"! Anyone who has lived in Pittsburgh, then moved to Philly or NYC, or vice-versa, KNOWS THE HUGE DIFFERENCE! NYC reminded me of desert skies sometimes, they get totally blue skies there on a very regular basis (today being no exception).

Old 02-16-2009, 12:00 AM

28 posts, read 55,095 times
Actually I just found another forum that said that the stats are skewed because they considered it a cloudy day when any part of the day was cloudy.

I don't mind if there's sun shine for a few hours and then cloudy for a few. That's a sunny day to me. What Im concerned about are the week long stretches where you don't see a single minute of sun. This happened in FL where there was a 3 week period where every day was raining and cloudy. That sucked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh