Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2010, 04:37 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
If it's hot out tomorrow, can't they play inside THE BRAND NEW HOCKEY STADIUM???????????????????????
It's not the heat that's the issue -- there's a refrigeration system under the ice that can handle the 50-something degrees we're expecting -- it's the rain. A little rain would be fine, it'll freeze on impact, it's the heavy rain expected that's causing an issue.

If they cannot play either Saturday or Sunday it will have to be played at Consol. The other issue -- Heinz Field will accommodate 60,000 (it's sold out, by the way, did so in 10 minutes), Consol is under 20,000. The whole idea behind this event is to have one big outside hockey game per year as a way to promote the NHL and expose more people to hockey.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:15 PM

85 posts, read 123,900 times
I will be the honest one here...The sun seldom shines from November to about March. You can go a week before seeing the sun. Pittsburgh has less sunny days than Seattle. It’s a fact. On the bright side, it’s culture and way of life will outshine the grey skies.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:55 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewickleyPA View Post
LOL. No no no... look up the actual facts before posting more nonsense.

Thanks!
This is one of the sites that says Pgh has 59 days of sun: Weather Today - Weather Forecasts, Radar, Maps for 1000s of US and World Cities. I don't recognize most of the names at the top (least sun), but Seattle (58 days of sun) does appear before Pittsburgh (59 days). Not that LOLworthy.

And here's an article about stress in major US markets. It mentions the "possible sunshine" factor Brian brought up earlier.
Quote:
• Sunshine: Pittsburgh is the gloomiest market, attracting only 45 percent of possible sunshine in a typical year, according to the National Climatic Data Center. Seattle, Buffalo and Portland, Ore., are nearly as dark. The sunniest metros are Las Vegas and Phoenix at 85 percent.
Read more: Pittsburgh ranks 20th in stress study | Pittsburgh Business Times
[/LEFT]

Old 12-31-2010, 07:14 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
There was sun today, but I'll bet today will be marked as cloudy if you have to consider one or the other for the whole day.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I hate to disappoint you guys, but Weather Underground says it was sunny in Pittsburgh on Dec. 31. It's Jan. 1 there now, not here yet.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:47 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Hehehehehe.....this is like the evolution/creation debate, or Obama's birth, it just keeps on going!

I recall from my days in the West of Ireland, that someone said it pretty succinctly: "Noone comes twice to Ireland looking for a sun tan." I got the point. And with 225-250 days of rain per year, they have you beat. But people seem to like the place, and I did see the sun several times while there. I suspect people like wet, green Pittsburgh too. Seattle seems to be doing just fine, despite the clouds.

As a compatriot in gloom, I will say, Pittsburgh ought to market itself to Irish, English who thrive on gloom, or Australians, Nevadans, Arizonans, and others who've had just about enough damn sun and skin damage in their lives. I know that I strike super sunny places off my list because of my fairer family members. I was checking out Las Cruces, New Mexico last year, and I asked if fair people had trouble. At first, everyone joked about it. Then, quite a few wrote talking about skin damage, dermal growths removed,etc.,etc. The truth is, many Americans are not designed for relentless sun!

I had an interesting experience when I went to the Burgh last summer. I went running on a hot, humid afternoon, but without the glare of the sun I was quite comfortable. Sure I sweat like a swine, but that was the point. Out here, I would never go running on an August afternoon. A recipe for heat stroke.

As a weather nerd myself, I would definitely put Pittsburgh in the bin of "cloudy." Not because it is cloudy all the time, but because that weather predominates and places it closer to Seattle than, say, DC. And some clueless person who needs sun and is debating a position in Saint Louis or Pittsburgh or San Francisco would probably not know how comparatively cloudy it is and could benefit from the info. That is the point of CD right?

Why not embrace and brand it? "The Allegheny Mist" "The Well Washed City" or something like that.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 01-01-2011 at 07:10 AM..

Old 01-01-2011, 06:47 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Great post Fiddlehead!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:39 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
"We've got water."

Not very imaginative, but likely to be a good selling point in the not-so-distant future.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:37 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Thank you.That's what I have said before. The over exaggerated bad weather of Pittsburgh is just another old and over used excuse to hate the whole city.
There are also the complaints about the "crooked politicians" that are somehow only inherent to Pittsburgh? I find that laughable as well!

If they could stick with the real complaints s.a. bad roads and bad public transportation issues, they would just be much more credible.
No matter where you live, there will always be people that say it is miserable. As most people know, some people are happiest in their own misery. The people like that want to bring everyone down. Sort of like when the schools were desegregated. Governments thought that would bring the kids up to the level of the better schools. What they didn't know is, one bad apple can spoil the pot and it actually works in reverse. Just the way it is.

If you don't like Pittsburgh, move. It isn't really rocket science. Relocation is something that is done all the time. Pretty easy to do really.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:02 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddicorcia1 View Post
I will be the honest one here...The sun seldom shines from November to about March. You can go a week before seeing the sun. Pittsburgh has less sunny days than Seattle. It’s a fact. On the bright side, it’s culture and way of life will outshine the grey skies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
This is one of the sites that says Pgh has 59 days of sun: Weather Today - Weather Forecasts, Radar, Maps for 1000s of US and World Cities. I don't recognize most of the names at the top (least sun), but Seattle (58 days of sun) does appear before Pittsburgh (59 days). Not that LOLworthy.

And here's an article about stress in major US markets. It mentions the "possible sunshine" factor Brian brought up earlier. Read more: Pittsburgh ranks 20th in stress study | Pittsburgh Business Times [/LEFT]
Yep. I know people want to have a positive outlook on their city's weather, but in actuality the weather here is not good at all. Statistics prove this, local news proves this, and looking out of your window proves this. It's not being pessimistic or negative, it's the truth. The people that live here know we have bad weather and at this point most of us are comfortable with that. No need to be in denial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh