U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-17-2009, 03:39 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,963,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
2 options here:
a) argue pointlessly to no end
b) agree to disagree.
Please choose the correct one
Yac.
I vote a).

[/subscribe]

Old 02-17-2009, 04:11 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,977,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I vote a).

[/subscribe]
I'm in !

Old 02-17-2009, 04:24 PM

281 posts, read 396,411 times
Pittsburgh is sunny pretty much every time I go outside. It is sunny out right now. I wear my sunglasses every day. I had to put sunscreen on today! Im thinking of going out for a suntan this evening.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestViewdrive View Post
Pittsburgh is sunny pretty much every time I go outside. It is sunny out right now. I wear my sunglasses every day. I had to put sunscreen on today! Im thinking of going out for a suntan this evening.
I hope he believes you and moves there!

Old 02-20-2009, 11:01 AM

230 posts, read 448,330 times
If I was a certain poster I'd feel like banging my head against the wall. If you look it up right here on City-Data you'll see that Pittsburgh has significantly less sunshine than average (for the US) every single month of the year. What's so difficult about recognizing that reality? In fact, if you take the time and do a detailed study you'll find that most places east of the Mississippi have a good deal of cloudiness. Even some areas of Florida have cloudy periods in the summer. Pittsburgh happens to be an exceptionally cloudy city by North American standards. If you value sunshine, I wouldn't move there. That doesn't mean that untold numbers of other people can't find a happy home in the Pittsburgh area. To each his own. No place is perfect and there are problems and hurdles to overcome anywhere. Even places that are sunny most of the time.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:54 PM

3,134 posts, read 5,744,704 times
A lot of those places with abundant sunshine lack rain and drinking water. People who move away from here aren't usually doing it because of the weather. We always score high on most liveable cities lists and probably rate highest of any since those lists have been in existence. Sunshine isn't that important to most people, but depressed people might not like it here. It depends on what you value most and if you're willing to pay fior it, it exists.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
A lot of those places with abundant sunshine lack rain and drinking water. People who move away from here aren't usually doing it because of the weather. We always score high on most liveable cities lists and probably rate highest of any since those lists have been in existence. Sunshine isn't that important to most people, but depressed people might not like it here. It depends on what you value most and if you're willing to pay fior it, it exists.
I would say that the boom of all those 'sunbelt cities', blows a whole in your theory that "sunshine isn't important to most people".

Old 02-20-2009, 05:13 PM

3,134 posts, read 5,744,704 times
I don't think the sun had a lot to do with it. If you are going to move from here you're probably looking to move at least laterally or up so why would you move to another city in the Northeast or Rustbelt? People who are thinking about moving here usually ask about the schools, taxes, etc. The sunbelt cities had job opportunities, low taxes, and schools that couldn't possibly have the bad rep that most of our city school system(s) have. Being a northerner and deciding to move to a southern city must have been a hard decision.

Whenever I've considered moving from here the places I think I would like are Florida or Cal., because of the warmer weather. I just assume that other places have sun.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:26 PM

102 posts, read 190,342 times
I'm just amused that there is actually some debate about this. Look at city-data's page on Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh gets significantly less sushine than the rest of the country. It's not even close. I've lived in the midwest my whole life and you can definitely see a difference between PIT and Minneapolis, Columbus, etc. Sometimes in the summer here, there will be 3 days in a row where you never see the sun - that never happens anywhere else.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:53 PM

11,972 posts, read 13,780,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
I would say that the boom of all those 'sunbelt cities', blows a whole in your theory that "sunshine isn't important to most people".

Not really.

I know probably 50 people who moved South in recent years.

Every one moved because they have elderly relative(s) down there, or they hated the snow, hated cold weather, or wanted to golf every day.

Not a one mentioned lack of sunshine here / more sunshine there..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh