Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:33 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,710,930 times

Advertisements

Help! I'm a huge diner fan, and I've been to most of the vaunted and Sebak-approved ones in Pittsburgh and they're just not up to par. Maybe it's the years I spent in Seattle and San Francisco, and the amazing diners they have there (especially Seattle), but I've been underwhelmed every time I've tried one here. I've been to Isaly's (yawn). I've been to Pamela's (OK, and probably the best of the bunch). I just went to Ritter's, finally (yech). Still haven't been to DeLuca's, but it might be my last hope unless somebody can point me in the right direction. Maybe it's because I don't eat meat? Still, I haven't eaten meat in almost 20 years and I've never had a problem before. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 08:37 PM

285 posts, read 861,696 times
ritter's diner, bloomfield. every time i go, i either get pierogis or a feta omelet. both are amazing, and neither have meat :]

Old 02-15-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate88 View Post
ritter's diner, bloomfield. every time i go, i either get pierogis or a feta omelet. both are amazing, and neither have meat :]

I ate there tonight. I love pierogies, but theirs are boiled, not fried. No thanks. :greenpukeyface:

I should've stated that I don't eat eggs (by themselves, at least) either. I'm a pancakes and home fries kinda dude. I'd also like to say that none of these places have been bad per se, just mediocre. Except those pierogies, tonight at Ritter's. :seasick:

Old 02-15-2009, 08:47 PM

285 posts, read 861,696 times
oh, sorry, didn't read your original post carefully enough. saw that you were at Ritter's and didn't like it. have you tried tom's in the south side or dormont?

Old 02-15-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate88 View Post
oh, sorry, didn't read your original post carefully enough. saw that you were at Ritter's and didn't like it. have you tried tom's in the south side or dormont?
I forgot about Tom's. Not bad, definitely. It's been awhile, though. I think my problem is that Pittsburgh, on the surface, seems like it would have the world's best diners, and it just doesn't. Like Pamela's, in Millvale. I wanted to be in love with it the second I saw the inside, and the food just didn't measure up. I can't figure how a place like Seattle has the greatest diner food I've ever experienced (Beth's, The Hurricane, that place in a train car) and a real city like Pittsburgh has so-so diner food. It makes no sense at all.

Possibly it's my life's calling to open one up? I had the conversation with My Immortal Beloved tonight, at Ritter's. It would definitely be Southern style.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:15 AM

84 posts, read 411,264 times
Have you tried the Quiet Storm? It's a vegetarian/vegan cafe that serves breakfast, too. Their black and gold scramble is amazing. It's on Penn Ave. in Garfield, it's a great place. Make sure you take cash though, they don't accept credit cards.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:35 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
JoJo's in the Strip.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:04 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
have you tried tom's in the south side or dormont?
Tom's on the South Side has changed in the past year or so--they've gotten rid of one of their storefronts, and they herd you toward the Folino's side if it's crowded. I like the Dorstop in Dormont, but I don't think it's got dinner hours. Also, the Rusty Nail in Bellevue is pretty decent.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:56 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,527 times
Creep,check this link out--- Diners in Pittsburgh - Chowbaby.com

Last edited by aveojohn; 02-16-2009 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: misspell

Old 02-16-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowACityGirl View Post
Have you tried the Quiet Storm? It's a vegetarian/vegan cafe that serves breakfast, too. Their black and gold scramble is amazing. It's on Penn Ave. in Garfield, it's a great place. Make sure you take cash though, they don't accept credit cards.
I LOVE the Quiet Storm. Mmmmm, seitan gyros.

Everybody else, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh